News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Who was already judged in a court ?

Started by viocjit, March 12, 2019, 05:18:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viocjit

Hello ! I'm a Frenchman living in France (I did never lived elsewhere) who was never put in a court and I'd like to know which members of this forum was already judged in a court.
I think it can be fun to share ours stories with the judicial system.

If you was already judged in a court I'd like to know the next infos.

1.What was the charge(s) against you ?
2.In which country did it happened and if in USA or another federal country with its own judicial system which state / province ?
3.Was you convicted , discharged or charges were dismissed ?
4.Can you tell us your arrest , the judgement and indictment if there was one ?
5.What was the maximum penalty you were facing and what was your penalty ?

Baruch

Municipal vehicle or traffic violations.  Most municipalities let you pay a fine to avoid court entirely.  This one did not, you had to appear at municipal traffic court, the public defender would tell you "we have a plea deal", and if you agreed, then you and the public defender appear before the judge (while waiting hours) and the public defender speaks for you, and you go down to the cashier and pay your fine.  Other times, you simply go down to the cashier, without any drama, and pay your fine.  If it is a mechanical violation (burned out light), you have to appear at the police station (after the fix of the problem) for them to verify your action, and they terminate the charge.

USA, municipality level
Charges dismissed after repair or remuneration
Nothing so serious as arrest, indictment or judgement beyond a fine/repair
Maximum cash penalty $300.

I did once help a coworker's wife bail her husband out of jail once.  He was a drunkard and had hit his wife.  She called the cops on him.  And it was she who helped bail him out.

I avoid police as much as possible, mostly by following the rules.  Disorderly conduct is very frowned upon in the US, it can get you killed.  I have never not been guilty, so I always fully cooperate with the police and the courts if charged.  I respect them (a nephew is a policeman), but I realize they are very tense and armed.  I usually have tea or water with restaurant meals, so I don't risk a DUI (driving while intoxicated).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

I've been a bad boy, and that's all I'm willing to say on the subject. Probably why I never get anything for Christmas.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 12, 2019, 01:13:28 PM
I've been a bad boy, and that's all I'm willing to say on the subject. Probably why I never get anything for Christmas.

But then, you are the kind the girls love!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Unfortunately, that has not been my experience...
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Draconic Aiur

I had jury duty and I was in a court session thats all.

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 12, 2019, 10:12:29 PM
I had jury duty and I was in a court session thats all.

Managed to avoid jury duty.  Eligibility comes up periodically, and just last year.  But dogged that bullet.  The real fear is being on a grand jury, you are sequestered for 12 months ;-(  I have fantasized getting out of the selection (by prosecuting and defending attorneys) by confirming that I think the death penalty is too good for jay walking ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

They never hauled MY ASS into court.  I'm a White Male...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 14, 2019, 12:37:38 PM
They never hauled MY ASS into court.  I'm a White Male...

Check your privilege ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Never been in a court. Never been arrested. Worst I've got is being pulled over because I "drove suspiciously slowly".

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 14, 2019, 10:23:50 PM
Never been in a court. Never been arrested. Worst I've got is being pulled over because I "drove suspiciously slowly".

Are you over 60?  That was simply driving sensibly ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

viocjit

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 14, 2019, 10:23:50 PM

I had never been arrested , charged or convicted but I had two identity check in my life by French police.
I had a body pat-down and searches of my personal belongings after each identity check.
Happily for me I'm a citizen of French Republic who isn't member of an ethnic minority as I'm an ethnic French.

For the second body pat-down by French police in my life I fear they put drugs in my pockets to falsely accuse me of drugs possession (It's rumoured this is a common practice in some places in France).
When an identity check and the like happens a citizen have good reasons to fear being falsely charged to insult police officer (It's an offence punishable by article 433-5 of code pénal that is our criminal code).
They can also provocate people to be insulted and win money (There are the criminal trial when you face one year of jail and a fine of â,¬15,000 and the civil trial when you can be condemned to pay hundred of euros or more to each police officers involved and the average is â,¬800).
This is why I avoid contact with police force (I have a phobia of impulse with them because I don't trust this institution. I'm afraid to insult them without want it but fortunately this is just a phobia impulse).

There were so many abuses and this is why I think the délit (Misdemeanour) of "outrage" (Contempt) must to be abolished or at least become a contravention de cinquième classe (Fifth class petty offence) or less to prepare its abolition.
A fifth class petty offence is punishable by a maximum fine of â,¬1500 and some petty offences can be punishable by a fine of â,¬3000 or became a misdemeanour in case of repeat offence.

A report of Human Rights Watch about police abuses on ethnic minorities in January 26, 2012 : https://www.hrw.org/news/2012/01/26/france-abusive-identity-checks-minority-youth

I had an identity check and a body pat-down by French customs the only time I go in another country than mine (Belgium).
It was my first long distance travel alone and my first travel in a foreign country.
It was in Belgium near Brussels.
I've been there to open a transaction account but I can't open the bank account because I don't live in Belgium and I'm not working there.
You must to fill one of these two conditions or both to have the right to open a current account in banks of this country (Internal regulations of banks) accorded to the person I met.

When I'll take the appointment with my phone.
I warned them about the fact I'm a French non-living in Belgium but the person on the line didn't asked me if I was working there.
The positive point of this travel is the next.
I know how to go there and others places abroad from the hub used to go in Belgium.

Baruch

Similar in the US.  Some police abuse, some do not.  If you are a scruffy person, you may find a reefer on your person or in your car, that you didn't put there.  But that is better than being shot to death for seeming to be a ninja in a wheelchair with a scary ball point pen.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.