News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by Arik, December 23, 2018, 10:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arik

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 08, 2019, 01:18:00 PM
Cars are not brains, no matter how badly you want to stretch the metaphor to fit your woo-woo scenario.

I knew that my analogy wouldn't make any sense to you but again also your idea that the consciousness reside all over the brain doesn't make any sense to me either.

You are quite free to believe that there can not be any seat of command and the controller does not need a seat of control.
After all materialists also believe that there is no need for any controller anywhere.
Matter can control itself so you must leave the door of your house fully open when you go out or your car unlock because matter control itself.

How smart UB.  :cheesy:

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das

Unbeliever

You might be interested in this, Arik. Here's a guy who seems to agree with your position, that the brain does not cause consciousness:

QuoteCognitive scientist Donald D. Hoffman discusses why neural correlates of consciousness do not cause consciousness.

This is an excerpt from “Reality Is Not As It Seems“ recorded on February 7, 2019 at The New York Academy of Sciences. For the video of the complete discussion, see:https://youtu.be/3MvGGjcTEpQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr7eaE9AUtg
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Cause/Effect is primitive thinking, pre-science.  Same with Explanation.  These are human terms, not physical terms.  Just like the problem I have with Baysian probability.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Arik

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 09, 2019, 06:16:16 PM
You might be interested in this, Arik. Here's a guy who seems to agree with your position, that the brain does not cause consciousness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr7eaE9AUtg

The guy seems very interested in the topic and I am sure that one day he will get to the point and find out the reality.
Unfortunately dealing with theories only it will take for ever and ever.
Practice on the other hand is a fastest way to come to the point.

By practicing it it come obvious that the body is but a vehicle which the consciousness use to reduce the distance that separate the microcosm from the macrocosm (the single entity from the whole).

That's all it needs to be discovered.
All the rest is a waste of time.

That's also what my analogy was all about the other day.
Not just materialists but even a lot of theists believe that the body is them when in fact the body is just a vehicle same same as the car that you drive to go from point A to point X.
Our body allow us to walk and do a lot of things so there is no differences between a car and a body.
Both of them are made of matter.
Different type of matter but nevertheless matter so my previous analogy was spot on.

It is what is not made of matter that matter and that is the consciousness.
It is by realizing this reality that allow people to progress in the right direction.

When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you’re the one smiling and everyone around you is crying. Tulsi Das