Goodwill: Pays some disable employes pennies an hour

Started by Aroura33, June 21, 2013, 09:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surly74

Quote from: "Plu"Ya know, if you all had just pointed out the amount of times a worker comes around the table in an upscale place vs. fast food to start with, you wouldn't have to act all arrogant and demeaning to paragoombaslayer first. That's an actual argument against his approach, unlike "omg you ignorant".

I made the mistake and assumed he would have noticed that.

why do you care if I'm arrogant and demeaning to him? I'm showing him as much respect he shows. You show respect so I show it back.

also ignorance (which i think was used correctly) was that he didn't have knowledge about the service industry. he's never worked in it and if everyone had to wait tables for a week society would be a little nicer to each other.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Plu

Pointing out that someone is ignorant usually doesn't help as much as explaining what critical bit of knowledge they're lacking, though.

But I agree that everyone should be made to do shitty customer support jobs like waiting tables and such for a while, just to understand what it's like.

surly74

Quote from: "Plu"Pointing out that someone is ignorant usually doesn't help as much as explaining what critical bit of knowledge they're lacking, though.

But I agree that everyone should be made to do shitty customer support jobs like waiting tables and such for a while, just to understand what it's like.

well, it really wasn't until Aurora posted that I saw what I was missing. by then she had posted it.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Plu

AllPurposeAtheist

Everyone ought to have to hand load freight for a minimum of one week.. Pain meds included after the week is up.. You probably won't need em after the week is up, but they might be fun anyway..  :wink:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Aroura33

To be fair, there were only 2 people disgussing it, and the way I read it, Paragoomba was just as rude. Him and his "bbbbut 20%!!!!" rudeness, when Surley had never even used that argument, is what prompted me to point out the real reasons we should tip different amounts at different places.

I do regret my snarky tone, but it was in response to a snarky tone. Still, I should not do that, I know.

It is harsh that industry allows tipping to cause waitpersons to get less than minimum wage, especially when we know that no tipping and undertipping are very common.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Plu

Yeah. It sounds like very bad practice for everyone involved except business owners. Funny how many rules are like that.

I'm glad where I live everyone makes at least minimum wage. A tip is something you earn as a bonus, not something you need to survive. (And you only get one for a really good experience, not as a rule)