Christianity in the News--Pastor Arrested for Endangering His Congregants

Started by Jagella, March 30, 2020, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jagella

Pastor Rodney Howard-Browne, head of a Florida church, was arrested recently for showing "reckless disregard for human life." He ignored local orders against mass gatherings due to the corona virus outbreak. He went ahead and held services at his church. You can read the full story here.

As far as I'm concerned, the police should have done this long ago. Long before the corona virus pandemic, churches have been showing reckless disregard for human life by inducing paranoia and scamming people out of money. It's high time the authorities take action to protect people.

Shiranu

Ooooh Florida...

(Texas has churches doing it too, but still... ohhhh Florida...)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Knowing the stupidity and willful blindness of christians, I would bet that that is replayed in every state.--the physically going to church.

I like it.  More of those who believe in heaven can get there.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Jagella

Quote from: Shiranu on March 31, 2020, 04:15:30 AM
(Texas has churches doing it too...

How are those Texas churches getting away with endangering people? I'd recommend that we all report churches engaged in these illegal activities.

Hydra009

In the words of Westworld Robert Ford:  "Because you don't want to change, or cannot change. Because you're only human after all."

SGOS

There is probably a predisposed belief that God will protect the faithful.  But that Pastor guy looks like a Mafia guy.  I'd be careful about asking him for any special favors.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 31, 2020, 09:48:05 AM
There is probably a predisposed belief that God will protect the faithful.  But that Pastor guy looks like a Mafia guy.  I'd be careful about asking him for any special favors.

The God Father only needs favors from undertakers ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Jagella

Quote from: SGOS on March 31, 2020, 09:48:05 AM
There is probably a predisposed belief that God will protect the faithful.

And that's the problem with religion--well, one of the many problems with religion. Religion offers empty promises that lull people into a false sense of security. In this case a pastor is in effect telling his followers that God will protect them from the corona virus. He is then endangering them and is doing so based on his Christian beliefs.

So Christian beliefs are harmful and in some cases even deadly.