Author Topic: i do not afraid of going to the hell,  (Read 701 times)

Offline Cavebear

Re: i do not afraid of going to the hell,
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 02:54:05 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm wondering if religion isn't linked more to a fear of parental abandonment than it is to a fear of death?

I think there are elements of both in religion.  Death is a natural event, watch any nature show.  We live by death ourselves. Even if you are vegan, you kill plants.

As to parental abandonment, I really liked both my parents (both deceased now), and I am atheist.  It would be interesting to know how many theists really liked their parents.  And I don't mean respected or honored their parents, I mean LIKED! 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2019, 07:38:06 AM »
I think there are elements of both in religion.  Death is a natural event, watch any nature show.  We live by death ourselves. Even if you are vegan, you kill plants.

As to parental abandonment, I really liked both my parents (both deceased now), and I am atheist.  It would be interesting to know how many theists really liked their parents.  And I don't mean respected or honored their parents, I mean LIKED!

Virtue signaling again?  Well, can't speak for most theists.  You can't speak for most atheists.  Happy you liked your parents, but it is normal to fight them as part of separating from them, at least in your heart, if not moving out and joining a commune.
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2019, 01:02:33 PM »
Virtue signaling again?  Well, can't speak for most theists.  You can't speak for most atheists.  Happy you liked your parents, but it is normal to fight them as part of separating from them, at least in your heart, if not moving out and joining a commune.

Which didn't answer my basic point...  Would you have liked your parents if they had been strangers living next door?  I would have.

I liked my Mom for her skills and I liked Dad for his.  And I would have liked Dad a LOT better if he wasn't related.

Here's a quick story.  I used to visit them for the Member/Guest golf tournament ( I was horrible),  But every year I got my game at least "functional" (about 90) and every year Dad would drive me nuts  "improving my game" until I couldn't hit a 5 iron to a 120 yard green! 

Well one year it rained and Dad was so distracted with his own problems he didn't bother me.  Best game of my life (and it was rated the 50th of the toughest courses).  I played MY game (swing hard and hope) and everything went beautifully.  One hole (up a rise), he got at me to say "play it safe with a 5 iron" and I said ""back off" and used my 2 iron.  It landed 3' from the hole. 

That was the 18th green (yes I sank the putt) and we one because of that.  It was the last round of golf I ever played with him.  Because even after that, he said I should have played it safe. 

Dad was a scratch golfer but he never won any tournaments.  Ya gotta dare to win sometimes.

Did I ever tell you about the chalk fake golf ball I gave him once?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
My foster dad used to play with people like Lee Trevino, but I never took up the game. Never even played on a real course, but I've played some miniature golf and liked it because I was pretty good at it. It was more like shooting pool, at which I was also pretty good.
If something cannot logically exist due to incompatible properties, then it does not exist. The God of the Bible has such incompatible properties, and so it does not exist.    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Loginο»Ώ

Offline Baruch

« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2019, 07:32:24 PM »
"And I would have liked Dad a LOT better if he wasn't related." ... strange.  Don't feel the need to comment further.

Your question was a counterfactual, so impossible to take seriously.  If you have been born a gay woman, would you find Ellen hot?

i have known someone my age, who long before I met him, hated his parents and loved the parents of his girlfriend.  Because his parents were a secular mess, and his girlfriends parents were classic American Gothic.  He adopted their religion, and virtually moved in with them, as a teen, until he was allowed to marry their daughter (probably after graduating as an engineer from college).  My parents weren't American Gothic ... neither very good or very bad.  But the good lives on and the bad has faded.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:36:11 PM by Baruch »
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk