Epic SpaceX Dragon Mission Welcomed by ISS Crew In Style

Started by Unbeliever, March 03, 2019, 06:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuoteHello and welcome! My name is Anton and in this video, we will talk about the recent SpaceX Crew Demo-1 Dragon capsule launch and what it was able to achieve with this incredible mission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWuict0hZS8

This is great news for the future of the U.S. space program, since we're no longer dependent on Russia to get to the ISS. But we still have to wait and see if the capsule can get safely back to the surface of Earth before they will let it be manned.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Unfortunately, reentry can be just as hazardous as lift off.  We can hope that they will be technically successful.  I can't see how fully private space work can avoid unavoidable liability.  For the same reason, commercial nuclear reactors would be impossible to legally build, if government didn't provide an insurance back-stop.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 03, 2019, 06:56:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWuict0hZS8

This is great news for the future of the U.S. space program, since we're no longer dependent on Russia to get to the ISS. But we still have to wait and see if the capsule can get safely back to the surface of Earth before they will let it be manned.

If private industry can't manage space flight eventually, there is probably no future in it.  And I think there is.  It is not uncommon for Government to lead the way and industry to follow afterwards using the initial Government experience and funding.  I think that actually works pretty well. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Space flight was part of the Cold War 1.0, now Cold War 2.0.  Private access may prove an expensive vacation, like people who go on adventure cruises to Antarctica.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 04, 2019, 05:16:37 AM
Space flight was part of the Cold War 1.0, now Cold War 2.0.  Private access may prove an expensive vacation, like people who go on adventure cruises to Antarctica.

I will prefer to think that commercial space flight will follow the path of commercial air flight after WWI proved it was viable by the Government.  It is time we began to look outward to unify us all.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 04, 2019, 07:16:07 AM
I will prefer to think that commercial space flight will follow the path of commercial air flight after WWI proved it was viable by the Government.  It is time we began to look outward to unify us all.

We will not be unified.  In fact, we won't continue as one country much longer.  I keep hoping for California/Oregon and Massachusetts/New York to secede.

Commercial flight had a purpose ... getting businessmen to their destination more quicker than the train could.  That and airmail.  Tell me how purposes like that can be found in oribital flight.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Hotels, asteroid mining, and eventually orbital habitats and lunar colonies. If we can keep from destroying civilization it's inevitable, I think, that space will be our new home. After all, we already live in space, we just didn't realize it until recently.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 04, 2019, 01:12:38 PM
Hotels, asteroid mining, and eventually orbital habitats and lunar colonies. If we can keep from destroying civilization it's inevitable, I think, that space will be our new home. After all, we already live in space, we just didn't realize it until recently.

Once we have communism, we get free everything, and such luxuries won't be limited to Elon Musk?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.