News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Dissenter

Started by Sal1981, March 01, 2019, 10:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Dissenter is a new browser extension that allows people to comment anywhere on the Internet by adding a comment section associated with any URL. This is a great idea, IMO. For example if a YouTube video has its comment section disabled, it will allow people to comment on it anyways through Dissenter's browser extension. Only downside is that it requires a Gab account, they should allow people to sign in with other accounts, IMO, such as with Wordpress, Google or Facebook plugin. Anyways, if you're interested they have a website where you can add the Dissenter extension to your browser. I got mine from Google Chrome Store. It's free.

https://www.dissenter.com/

What do you think? A win for Free Speech? Or is it, like VICE, Vox, Kiwifarms et. al say that it's a 'safe space' harboring far-right speech? I personally think that it is something that has the potential to be great because it circumvents censorship. We will see if the tech  giants as Silicon Valley try to shut it down like they did (unsuccessfully) with SubscribeStar.

Cavebear

That's an advertisement.  Delete it Admins...  I hereby report it...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sal1981

Quote from: Cavebear on March 01, 2019, 10:22:04 AM
That's an advertisement.  Delete it Admins...  I hereby report it...
What's your problem?

Munch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 01, 2019, 10:39:58 AM
What's your problem?

he's a bear that lives in a cave, he only comes up from his hibernation cycle once every few weeks.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Knowing internet culture, I'm very much prone to agree that it's going to be mostly a shit show rather than something useful.

I just don't see one side of the spectrum being all that interested in something like this, so it's just going to be another echo chamber for hateful and bigoted individuals to lurk in.

To put it another way, people with something positive to say aren't going to take the time to get involved with this, so it's literally going to be a "conversation" with no dissenting opinions or rebuttals.

It's a good idea in theory, but dissenting ideas should be shared to spark conversation and spur change... not to only fire up people in an environment with no real challenging of your own ideas.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Without bigots and hateful people, there are no people.  Sorry to tell you, but there it is ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It may be just another way for Russia to hack our brains.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 01, 2019, 01:13:21 PM
It may be just another way for Russia to hack our brains.

As a double agent, you must be working for Putin too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on March 01, 2019, 11:25:13 AM
he's a bear that lives in a cave, he only comes up from his hibernation cycle once every few weeks.

I'm here a lot more often than you think...

Cavebear

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 01, 2019, 01:28:32 PM
I hate advertisements...

yet there were none. I'm also still boggled by this washington post thing you say you can't view when theres no issue for others to see it without paying.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on March 01, 2019, 03:01:38 PM
yet there were none. I'm also still boggled by this washington post thing you say you can't view when theres no issue for others to see it without paying.

1.  Testing the waters.  My definition of "advertising" is broad.

2.  They want sign up and info to view.  That's a cost.  And they ask for money from me.  Maybe because I subscribe to the newspaper they figure they can get more.

Or they changed recently and I don't know that?

aitm

I for one think we could try to eliminate all comment sections and see if the world starts to crumble.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Sal1981

Quote from: aitm on March 02, 2019, 08:09:55 AM
I for one think we could try to eliminate all comment sections and see if the world starts to crumble.
lol, people would have to go outside of the comforts of their homes to even encounter other people with differing opinions. Reminds me of not taking anything for granted, like being able communicate freely over an Internet forum.

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on March 02, 2019, 08:09:55 AM

How about AOC death squads?  Anyone AOC designates as "hate" gets rubbed out by the Chinese orbiting death ray?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.