Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 01, 2019, 10:05:10 PM
It's a turd sandwich.  :wink:

apparently my tablet needs to learn what a turd is
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

On the current virtue signaling ...

“For we each of us deserve everything, every luxury that was ever piled in the tombs of the dead kings, and we each of us deserve nothing, not a mouthful of bread in hunger. Have we not eaten while another starved? Will you punish us for that? Will you reward us for the virtue of starving while others ate? No man earns punishment, no man earns reward. Free your mind of the idea of deserving, the idea of earning, and you will begin to be able to think.”

â€" Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

The CIA controls our brain and it has an effect upon our way of thinking via mass media disinformation illusions and this reality is not a fresh news.

for ex. in turkey they made mass media operations in 70's and they have still been making this kind of operations. these operations are called "psycological war" and are very effective method on engineering the minds...

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 01, 2019, 06:44:21 PM
I'm positive Reuters and AP would be rated high on a news-rating site. I find them to be respectable and objective.
'

And I would include The Washington Post and The New York Times.  And MSNBC and CNN...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on March 04, 2019, 12:45:44 AMAnd I would include The Washington Post and The New York Times.  And MSNBC and CNN...
Ehh...CNN has a lot of oopsies.  From mistaking an obviously fake ISIS flag for the real thing to "who is this hacker known as 4chan?" to an alleged satellite interview with two anchors apparently in the same parking lot to scandalously shoddy reporting to just plain getting basic facts wrong.  I have lots of misgivings with that organization.  But compared to Fox News they're practically Reuters reporters.

I consider MSNBC to be primarily an opinion/editorial vehicle.  That's not necessarily bad, just be aware of it.

Hydra009

Also, I've noticed that some news publications aren't above indulging in some narcissistic self-aggrandizement.  While it's (probably) not wrong, this sort of bragging is kinda unseemly and off-putting imo.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 04, 2019, 02:40:23 PM
Ehh...CNN has a lot of oopsies.  From mistaking an obviously fake ISIS flag for the real thing to "who is this hacker known as 4chan?" to an alleged satellite interview with two anchors apparently in the same parking lot to scandalously shoddy reporting to just plain getting basic facts wrong.  I have lots of misgivings with that organization.  But compared to Fox News they're practically Reuters reporters.

I consider MSNBC to be primarily an opinion/editorial vehicle.  That's not necessarily bad, just be aware of it.

CNN is okay, much better than most.

Hydra009

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 04, 2019, 05:00:54 PM
CNN is okay, much better than most.
Sure, in the same way that Michael Jordan is a better golfer than most.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 04, 2019, 02:57:54 PM
Also, I've noticed that some news publications aren't above indulging in some narcissistic self-aggrandizement.  While it's (probably) not wrong, this sort of bragging is kinda unseemly and off-putting imo.

Didn't any of you see Citizen Kane?  Did you not get the moral?  Media tycoons are like any other parasite.  It was the media mogul, Lord Beaverbrook, who promoted Churchill.  William Randolph Hearst promoted McKinley and Teddy.  That was when people could read and write .. today vidiots ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

We need a new Walter Cronkite. That man knew how to report the news.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Unbeliever

We have Rachel Maddow, and that's good enough for me.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on March 04, 2019, 08:52:06 PM
We need a new Walter Cronkite. That man knew how to report the news.

Until the Tet Offensive, he was a tool of LBJ.  He was always too gullible with the sitting government.

I trust no media person.  They are less reliable than politicians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 04, 2019, 02:40:23 PM

Well, yes, CNN has fallen in neutrality and objectivity lately, but I appreciate them more than Fox.  I considered leaving them off the list...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 07, 2019, 02:06:42 AM
Well, yes, CNN has fallen in neutrality and objectivity lately, but I appreciate them more than Fox.  I considered leaving them off the list...

in my father's time, every town had two newspapers.  One Democrat and the other Republican.  Young people don't know this.  Back then both were publishing fake news.  Now that we usually only have one newspaper left, it is mostly used to line bird cages, which is the best use it could have.  Unfortunately in the era of radio, TV and now streaming, none of that is even good enough to line a bird cage.  But you could try putting your tablet on streaming, at the bottom of your bird cage, and see if Poly craps all over it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on March 07, 2019, 02:28:27 AM
in my father's time, every town had two newspapers.  One Democrat and the other Republican.  Young people don't know this.  Back then both were publishing fake news.  Now that we usually only have one newspaper left, it is mostly used to line bird cages, which is the best use it could have.  Unfortunately in the era of radio, TV and now streaming, none of that is even good enough to line a bird cage.  But you could try putting your tablet on streaming, at the bottom of your bird cage, and see if Poly craps all over it ;-)

Most cities had 2 newspapers in MY time.  But for most of MY lifetime, they were both political papers focussing on national news.  They were liberal and conservative, but with good editors and writers.  I DO recall a local rag where I grew up, but everyone there only read the local stuff and ignored the nutso editorials (and note that I am not saying what his political views were).