News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

China's #MeToo Movement

Started by Shiranu, February 15, 2019, 08:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

While the video starts off with a short snip about Saudi Arabia, the majority of the episode revolves around Chinese censorship of their population, and a large part of that story is about the #MeToo movement. If you want to skip to that part, it's around 15:40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad-YqwhUsTE

It's interesting to get a glimpse into Chinese social issues, because the Chinese have done a particularly good job of making sure both others and their own population are not granted access to information. It's also a potential warning of how governments, or even corporations, could begin to use the internet here in the West to manipulate the population.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Already happening.  That is why during the Obama period, the law was changed to make propaganda against the citizens be totally legal.  Not just against opponents.  Because per the oath of office, we defend against all enemies, both foreign and DOMESTIC.

In a totalitarian system, whether EU, GB, US, China ... all things serve the State, so the Internet has to be a tool of the State, just like newspapers (Pravda) used to be.  Technical improvements leads to more technical means of control of the population.  And means has to be controlled, just as in the Soviet Union, it was illegal to possess a typewriter (samizdat).  With a typewriter, you could be an unauthorized (aka fake news) journalist ... just as bloggers in Youtube are today.  Authoritarianism does what it is.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Everytime I hear about how horrible the US is, I am reminded by how much worse it is elsewhere.

Not that we should ignore these problems, but I'd rather be here than there...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Unbeliever

That's how I am with my personal situation. Whenever things aren't going well for me I recall how much worse it is for so many others. I was just reading a book (Dark Matter:The Private Life of Sir Isaac Newton ) in which a couple of the characters were chained to an oar in a French warship for two years during the some war or another. What a horrible existence that must have been, and I was really glad I'm me and not some poor bastard like that. Or some other poor bastard who is way worse off than I am.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 19, 2019, 03:54:32 PM
That's how I am with my personal situation. Whenever things aren't going well for me I recall how much worse it is for so many others. I was just reading a book (Dark Matter:The Private Life of Sir Isaac Newton ) in which a couple of the characters were chained to an oar in a French warship for two years during the some war or another. What a horrible existence that must have been, and I was really glad I'm me and not some poor bastard like that. Or some other poor bastard who is way worse off than I am.

This is awkward to express and certain to generate some "my ancestor's lives were worse than yours", but most everyone has some slavery/serfdom/servitude in their past.  I seem to have come from a long line of British serfs myself.  Real wretches as far as I can tell and that may have been the happy side of the family.  The French side seems to have been more cruelly serfed by Normans (Vikings) and while apparently one can live on bread alone, it didn't make us big or healthy, LOL!

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 19, 2019, 03:54:32 PM

Miguel Cervantes, was a war prisoner, who had to work off his time as a galley slave ala Ben Hur.  He had been a Spanish Marine, but captured by the Barbary Pirates.  Took five years for his family to ransom him.

For me, the fact that others suffer more, makes me more pissed off ... I am like Shiranu that way.  Billions of people, suffering every damn day.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 19, 2019, 04:29:54 PM
This is awkward to express and certain to generate some "my ancestor's lives were worse than yours", but most everyone has some slavery/serfdom/servitude in their past.  I seem to have come from a long line of British serfs myself.  Real wretches as far as I can tell and that may have been the happy side of the family.  The French side seems to have been more cruelly serfed by Normans (Vikings) and while apparently one can live on bread alone, it didn't make us big or healthy, LOL!

To not have fresh baguettes every day, would be torture to the French ;-)  Otherwise it is cruel-tons!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 19, 2019, 04:59:25 PM
Miguel Cervantes, was a war prisoner, who had to work off his time as a galley slave ala Ben Hur.  He had been a Spanish Marine, but captured by the Barbary Pirates.  Took five years for his family to ransom him.

For me, the fact that others suffer more, makes me more pissed off ... I am like Shiranu that way.  Billions of people, suffering every damn day.

I did not know that about Cervantes.  Thank you.  And you are correct about the many more people sufferring servitude to this day.

Unbeliever

And to think, we could have been any of those other suffering people, but we're not. "There but for the grace of God (or pure luck) go I."
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 22, 2019, 01:26:32 PM
And to think, we could have been any of those other suffering people, but we're not. "There but for the grace of God (or pure luck) go I."

Well, my ancestors do seem to have been English serfs under the Norman Viking rule.  Can't say that affects me now, though.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 22, 2019, 01:26:32 PM

That is one of the theological mysteries.  My answer ... only you could perfectly play your part.  Tautological that.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 22, 2019, 04:06:32 PM
Well, my ancestors do seem to have been English serfs under the Norman Viking rule.  Can't say that affects me now, though.

Do you cringe every time someone says Normandy!

Normandy!
Normandy!
----
Frau Blucher!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 22, 2019, 07:02:57 PM
Do you cringe every time someone says Normandy!

Normandy!
Normandy!
----
Frau Blucher!

No, because the maternal side were the Normans.  And THEY ended up as textile workers in NE working for the SOUTHERN French side of the family who came over here separately.   And it goes on and on, and you will never quite "catch" it ever, LOL!