News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wall of emergency

Started by Mr.Obvious, February 15, 2019, 04:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 15, 2019, 05:50:20 PM
I don't get how can he legally declare a state of emergency. No war, now civil war or a threat of civil war, right? No threat of any kind -apart from him- on the country I mean.

How can he do it?

Obama did it, 12 times.  But that ... never happened.  As commander in chief, unique to Chief Executives in nations (some Presidents are merely ceremonial, and no PM I know of is in charge of the War/Defense Department).  The President's power is unlimited.  Particularly in conditions of domestic insurrection (aka Lincoln).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 15, 2019, 06:03:13 PM
Assassinating him would just make him a martyr, and turn him into a legend in the minds of his devoted fans. Besides, if that happened Pence would be the new president, and I don't think anyone wants that - except, of course, Pence.

Maybe you need Imperial Germany to move Lenin secretly into Washington DC?  It worked in St Petersburg.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 15, 2019, 06:00:24 PM
He may not legally be able to do it. We'll have to wait and see, but he'll get a lot of push back from the Dems and even some Republicans.

If the CIA is opposed, then a damp squib.  If the CIA is for ... then a lot of people are going to die.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

A lot of people die every second of every day. Who cares?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 15, 2019, 06:56:25 PM
A lot of people die every second of every day. Who cares?

You first!  Not really, I would miss you ;-(

What humanity needs now is a uber-Kevorkian ... Euthanize the planet!  Nihilism is the one true ideology/religion.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Where would you like me to go, Baruch? I am already heavily depressed enough on what is going on here. March 31st, we have elections. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 15, 2019, 07:05:25 PM
Where would you like me to go, Baruch? I am already heavily depressed enough on what is going on here. March 31st, we have elections.

Well, if you have a good enough bunker ... you can stay near home.  Otherwise, get a student visa and get another degree someplace else.  At least that seems practical to me.  Do you have an Internatlonal MBA yet?  Those are pretty popular and remunerative.  If things go further bad in the Middle East, or there is war between Turkey and Greece (you are in range) ... it might get too stressful.  The best way to fight depression is to take constructive action.

By March 31st the UK might no longer exist ... see Brexit Apocalypse film in the funny video section.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Sometimes, I really do wonder what is going in your head. 

Yeah, a lot of bad things will happen. Esp. over here where I live. But nuclear war is not one of them, Baruch.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 15, 2019, 07:22:47 PM
Sometimes, I really do wonder what is going in your head. 

Yeah, a lot of bad things will happen. Esp. over here where I live. But nuclear war is not one of them, Baruch.

How do you know that Erdogan didn't get nukes from Pakistan?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on February 15, 2019, 07:33:48 PM
How do you know that Erdogan didn't get nukes from Pakistan?

Really? How? And again... how?

aitm

What is really depressing and yet not surprising is how easily trump supporters look exactly like they should....or perhaps I should say...as one would expect.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Unbeliever

They mostly live in pesticide/fertilizer country.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

drunkenshoe

I don't get that. How do they look like?

Mermaid

Quote from: drunkenshoe on February 15, 2019, 05:50:20 PM
I don't get how can he legally declare a state of emergency. No war, now civil war or a threat of civil war, right? No threat of any kind -apart from him- on the country I mean.

How can he do it?
I have the same question.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Sylar

What a banana republic the United States have become. We have a corrupt party in power, and neither our courts nor our Congress have the power to do shit about it.

The Constitution specifies separation of power between Congress and POTUS. But Mitch* "McTurtleneck" McConnell decided that it's OK for president to grab power from Congress. (But making elections a federal holiday is a power grab according to him.

And here's Pence condemning Obama's use of executive power:
https://youtu.be/FnA4ilrT9Ok

More glaring double standards from GOP.

*For Red Dead Redemption 2 fans, I wrote Micah instead of Mitch at first ðŸ˜,. Accurate, don't you think?
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde