Author Topic: Wall of emergency  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Baruch

Re: Wall of emergency
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2019, 06:48:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't get how can he legally declare a state of emergency. No war, now civil war or a threat of civil war, right? No threat of any kind -apart from him- on the country I mean.

How can he do it?

Obama did it, 12 times.  But that ... never happened.  As commander in chief, unique to Chief Executives in nations (some Presidents are merely ceremonial, and no PM I know of is in charge of the War/Defense Department).  The President's power is unlimited.  Particularly in conditions of domestic insurrection (aka Lincoln).
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€
luu shalmaata luu balt’aata
May you be well, may you be healthy

Offline Baruch

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2019, 06:49:46 PM »
Assassinating him would just make him a martyr, and turn him into a legend in the minds of his devoted fans. Besides, if that happened Pence would be the new president, and I don't think anyone wants that - except, of course, Pence.

Maybe you need Imperial Germany to move Lenin secretly into Washington DC?  It worked in St Petersburg.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 06:53:46 PM by Baruch »
πŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽŒπŽ€πŽπŽŽπŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€πŽŸπŽπŽœπŽœπŽŸπŽπŽ€πŽπŽ‰πŽ€πŽ€πŽšπŽ€

Offline Baruch

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2019, 06:50:30 PM »
He may not legally be able to do it. We'll have to wait and see, but he'll get a lot of push back from the Dems and even some Republicans.

If the CIA is opposed, then a damp squib.  If the CIA is for ... then a lot of people are going to die.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2019, 06:56:25 PM »
A lot of people die every second of every day. Who cares?

The phrase "freedom of religion" means "no freedom from religion."

Offline Baruch

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 06:59:16 PM »
A lot of people die every second of every day. Who cares?

You first!  Not really, I would miss you ;-(

What humanity needs now is a uber-Kevorkian ... Euthanize the planet!  Nihilism is the one true ideology/religion.

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 07:05:25 PM »
Where would you like me to go, Baruch? I am already heavily depressed enough on what is going on here. March 31st, we have elections. 
'the wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. so while Δ± was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun.’ - lu-tze

Offline Baruch

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2019, 07:15:30 PM »
Where would you like me to go, Baruch? I am already heavily depressed enough on what is going on here. March 31st, we have elections.

Well, if you have a good enough bunker ... you can stay near home.  Otherwise, get a student visa and get another degree someplace else.  At least that seems practical to me.  Do you have an Internatlonal MBA yet?  Those are pretty popular and remunerative.  If things go further bad in the Middle East, or there is war between Turkey and Greece (you are in range) ... it might get too stressful.  The best way to fight depression is to take constructive action.

By March 31st the UK might no longer exist ... see Brexit Apocalypse film in the funny video section.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 07:33:09 PM by Baruch »

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2019, 07:22:47 PM »
Sometimes, I really do wonder what is going in your head. 

Yeah, a lot of bad things will happen. Esp. over here where I live. But nuclear war is not one of them, Baruch.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 07:26:35 PM by drunkenshoe »
'the wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. so while Δ± was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun.’ - lu-tze

Offline Baruch

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2019, 07:33:48 PM »
Sometimes, I really do wonder what is going in your head. 

Yeah, a lot of bad things will happen. Esp. over here where I live. But nuclear war is not one of them, Baruch.

How do you know that Erdogan didn't get nukes from Pakistan?

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2019, 07:37:08 PM »
How do you know that Erdogan didn't get nukes from Pakistan?

Really? How? And again... how?

Offline aitm

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »
What is really depressing and yet not surprising is how easily trump supporters look exactly like they should....or perhaps I should say...as one would expect.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2019, 08:12:21 PM »
They mostly live in pesticide/fertilizer country.

The phrase "freedom of religion" means "no freedom from religion."

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 08:14:00 PM »
I don't get that. How do they look like?

Offline Mermaid

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2019, 08:59:04 PM »
I don't get how can he legally declare a state of emergency. No war, now civil war or a threat of civil war, right? No threat of any kind -apart from him- on the country I mean.

How can he do it?
I have the same question.
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.

John F. Kennedy

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2019, 10:52:45 PM »
What a banana republic the United States have become. We have a corrupt party in power, and neither our courts nor our Congress have the power to do shit about it.

The Constitution specifies separation of power between Congress and POTUS. But Mitch* "McTurtleneck" McConnell decided that it's OK for president to grab power from Congress. (But making elections a federal holiday is a power grab according to him.

And here's Pence condemning Obama's use of executive power:

More glaring double standards from GOP.

*For Red Dead Redemption 2 fans, I wrote Micah instead of Mitch at first πŸ˜‚. Accurate, don't you think?
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all." --Oscar Wilde

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk