News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Different models of how history moves ...

Started by Baruch, February 08, 2019, 08:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBcH792eY60

A rather complete survey of the various patterns.  It may be that all are true.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

The 5th, 6th and 8th are bs, IMO. Especially 8th, predestination, because it makes us slaves to the whims of some imagined deity.

I think the last, the 9th, no pattern, is the most likely. Where it's pretty much random, and it is through our own work that we progress, but this isn't a constant, and that we might just as well fall, like Rome, into a new dark age. All it takes is 1 uneducated generation to fuck things up and put us back centuries.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 08, 2019, 08:47:12 PM
The 5th, 6th and 8th are bs, IMO. Especially 8th, predestination, because it makes us slaves to the whims of some imagined deity.

I think the last, the 9th, no pattern, is the most likely. Where it's pretty much random, and it is through our own work that we progress, but this isn't a constant, and that we might just as well fall, like Rome, into a new dark age. All it takes is 1 uneducated generation to fuck things up and put us back centuries.

People see dragons in the sky, looking at clouds.  We are designed to see patterns, even if they aren't there.  So why do we have "patterns of history" in the first place?  The Narrative ... this is all politics by the winners ... and losers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 08, 2019, 09:07:46 PM
People see dragons in the sky, looking at clouds.  We are designed to see patterns, even if they aren't there.  So why do we have "patterns of history" in the first place?  The Narrative ... this is all politics by the winners ... and losers.

There are patterns in history in the sense that despots keep thinking they can rule forever.  But there are not patterns in human migrations and trade routes.  Those change randomly.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2019, 06:42:24 AM
There are patterns in history in the sense that despots keep thinking they can rule forever.  But there are not patterns in human migrations and trade routes.  Those change randomly.

The public can be fooled forever, one despot then replaced another.  In the US we elect our despots.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 26, 2019, 06:52:27 AM
The public can be fooled forever, one despot then replaced another.  In the US we elect our despots.

Your nihilism is sad.  Few US Presidents desire to be despots, the the couple who wished to be (Nixon, Trump) came or are coming to Bad Ends...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 26, 2019, 07:54:22 AM
Your nihilism is sad.  Few US Presidents desire to be despots, the the couple who wished to be (Nixon, Trump) came or are coming to Bad Ends...

As I have said before, subsequent events have shown that like most human endeavors, the US is a failure, a mistake.  Doesn't matter what the politicians wanted at the time.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.