News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

that Liam Neeson thing

Started by Munch, February 05, 2019, 08:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

Going back and re-reading this I have to admit I kinda agree with Munch.....but lets break it down a bit.

Quote"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody
Did he go to a "black church"? No
Did he fly to a "black" country? No.
Did HE suggest he would "approach" somebody? No.
Did He suggest he would attack random black people? No.
He specifically said, "hoping to be approached by somebody" now you can argue the meaning of "approached" but it seems likely if he was "approached" by a guy pushing his kid in a baby buggy he wasn't going to attack and it seems unlikely if he was "approached" by an elderly couple walking down the street he would not attack.

Quotehoping some [uses air quotes with fingers] 'black bastard' would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something
that pretty much sums up the whole thing.....wanting a guy to come out and "have a go at me" so in effect hoping that a guy would exhibit a behavior consistent with being an "attacker".
Did he say he was looking for a street vendor selling apples? No
Did he say he was hoping for a father and son walking along the street so he could attach them? No.

I am not saying the guy is not racist. But I do think this was consistent with anyone looking for a possible person who is suspected of harming someone who also fits a certain criteria.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Liam Neeson is the secret Grand Dragon of the KKK ... hence his D party bonifides are more than secure ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mermaid

Quote from: Munch on February 06, 2019, 07:13:40 PM
no, he was looking for any black man who would come at him and attack him. If he was looking for any black man, he's have attacked first.

Get how that works?
is that somehow more ok?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Baruch

Quote from: Mermaid on February 06, 2019, 08:27:20 PM
is that somehow more ok?

No of course not.  All impure imperfect Morlocks should be eliminated.  The Eloi demand all thought crime must be stopped now!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Mermaid on February 06, 2019, 08:27:20 PM
is that somehow more ok?
Actually it is. Folks we have real racists and we have a guy who openly admits he got pissed off and was thinking of doing wrong...but did not. This is a big difference from the assholes that walk around patting everyone on the back and saying all the right things while doing everything they can to fuck over people of color.

I grew up a racist and may never be free of that early "brain-washing" and I have also warned my daughters boyfriend of that fact. But none-the-less many of us are honest about our past...those less honest are the ones we need to really worry about.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on February 06, 2019, 07:13:40 PM
no, he was looking for any black man who would come at him and attack him. If he was looking for any black man, he's have attacked first.

Get how that works?

The point is that he was looking for any black person, not the particular black person who allegedly raped his friend.

Holy shit, Neeson’s story is supposed to be an anecdote about why racism is dangerous, and here you are being obtuse about one detail. Are you trolling on purpose, or are you actually this stupid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on February 06, 2019, 08:37:26 PM
Actually it is. Folks we have real racists and we have a guy who openly admits he got pissed off and was thinking of doing wrong...but did not. This is a big difference from the assholes that walk around patting everyone on the back and saying all the right things while doing everything they can to fuck over people of color.

I grew up a racist and may never be free of that early "brain-washing" and I have also warned my daughters boyfriend of that fact. But none-the-less many of us are honest about our past...those less honest are the ones we need to really worry about.

The next Republican SCOTUS nominee ... if he even thought of going to bed with anyone under any conditions, will be unacceptable.

Today's Dems are worse than Colonial Boston ... they all want to wear the (blue, not scarlet) letter (D, not A).  And with all the hypocrisy of the preacher in that story.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on February 06, 2019, 08:39:15 PM

The point is that he was looking for any black person,

partially correct my friend...he was looking for a black person to attack him...to "go at him" ...he was waiting for someone to make the move... in no part of his conversation (from what I read) did he suggest he was open to attacking random black people. I suggest this is a big difference. Again..the part about speaking the truth says a lot about a person.

Baruch

It is very hard to be honest with yourself, if you are as ugly as Liam Neeson!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Poison Tree

I'm no expert on common law, but it is my understanding that carrying around a weapon (not to mention spending a week looking for someone to "have a go at" him) would count as premeditation in the UK.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Baruch

Quote from: Poison Tree on February 06, 2019, 11:24:23 PM
I'm no expert on common law, but it is my understanding that carrying around a weapon (not to mention spending a week looking for someone to "have a go at" him) would count as premeditation in the UK.

I would hope so, also in the US.  Probably under some form of "aggravated assault"?  More serious than being in a bar fight that you didn't start.  Hence the first rule of Fight Club, is to not speak of Fight Club.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Poison Tree on February 06, 2019, 11:24:23 PM

It certainly does in Texas anyways.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 06, 2019, 11:47:23 PM
It certainly does in Texas anyways.

Usually Texans prefer to drag retarded African-American men behind their pickup-truck until his body falls apart from road burn ;-(

A few years later, in Colorado, a Mara gang did that to an uncooperative girl dis-member ;-((
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Oh Hijiri, you used a meme of a paranoid government stooge who almost killed an entire town in his paranoia that he was correct, until the hero robot who proved he was wrong saved the day.

It's funny you using that character as a meme in that context.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

If the race was white, as in, Neeson was looking for a 'white bastard', there would be no story.