If it is a Black horse, then that is racisss
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteIf we are going to start punishing people for being honest about how they acted or did something 20-30 years ago instead of understanding WHY they are telling us then some of us aren't ready to help us all move forward.

I don't think that seems to be the problem here, though. The problem seems to be that what he did was inherently racist, he pretty much admits it was racist and regrets it... yet someone is so stuck in their way of being contrarian that they will argue that it wasn't ACTUALLY racist

There are things I said and did when I was younger that were most certainly racist and sexist; that was the culture I grew up in. I've changed  and learned since then and hope that I am a better person now. If someone else is willing to admit they have changed as well, and there is no evidence that they are lying... I'm not going to hold that against them, especially since it was done in a fit of rage.

That said... it is a bit of a tight rope.  He still, at the end of the day, went out looking to murder someone. That can't be completely brushed under the rug, and if he had gone through with it... it would be even harder to forgive him now. Should the intent to murder someone and the completion of murdering someone really hold a significant moral difference?

There are actually some really interesting philosophical and moral dilemmas this story presents that your post hints at and I would love to discuss, but instead we get idiots like pr and Munch (and more broadly, the Social Regressive ideologues) making it all about, "HuRr It'S nOt RaCiSt!!! StOp OpPrEsSiNg Me!".

That goes for almost all these topics nowadays; the actual meat of the subject at hand, or any interesting  dialogue, gets buried under this conservative/regressive screaming that they are being oppressed because, god forbid, society try to make progress that doesn't even affect them. Everything has to be about them, and if it's not they will throw a hissy fit until people pay more attention to them than the subject at hand.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: aitm on February 07, 2019, 06:27:06 PM
Pretty much....but that is our M.O here. The fact that Liam brought it up in the first place is a pretty good indication the guy is not a racist. If someone found some old video of him bragging about it...well, it might be a different story.

If we are going to start punishing people for being honest about how they acted or did something 20-30 years ago instead of understanding WHY they are telling us then some of us aren't ready to help us all move forward.

thats something we can actually agree on then. Regardless of thoughts on if you think it was based on racism or not, the fact is he did it over 30 years ago, said what happened, and resolved his actions weren't in the right him (which I interpret as going out looking to bash someones head in).

QuoteThere are actually some really interesting philosophical and moral dilemmas this story presents that your post hints at and I would love to discuss, but instead we get idiots like pr and Munch (and more broadly, the Social Regressive ideologues) making it all about, "HuRr It'S nOt RaCiSt!!! StOp OpPrEsSiNg Me!".

oh stick a fucking soak in it already. You don't like or can't handle any kind of objective opinion to your own, even from when I first joined here, you've always been like this.

You never look for a middle ground in anything. And in a case like this, you just jump on the social media sheep like the rest of them. Bravo, how enlightened you must be.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on February 07, 2019, 08:06:04 PM
yet someone is so stuck in their way of being contrarian that they will argue that it wasn't ACTUALLY racist

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

we might want to consider that while Liam Neeson is not racist, munch and pr might be and that is why this conversation is so immovable

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 07, 2019, 08:15:05 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

your not any better. even shinraru at least offers up something to argue against. All you end up falling back on is ad hominem.

and defaulting to racism remarks because you've nothing to go on.

Or do you want me to post images of me sucking off a darker skinned guys cock? If that proof enough for you?

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Munch on February 07, 2019, 08:16:45 PM
your not any better. even shinraru at least offers up something to argue against.
You never read anything to actually think about what is said and have glazed over everything EVERYONE has said, including everything I have said in this thread. And not just in this thread, every single fucking thread that you've blindly argued your pr-dick-sucking agenda in.

PickelledEggs

because if you did actually read and not jump to immediately argue so rashly like you do, you would know that I have stated my points very clearly and concisely.

But you don't, so there's that, and here we are yet again, just like all the other times.... once again.

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on February 07, 2019, 08:19:52 PM
You never read anything to actually think about what is said and have glazed over everything EVERYONE has said, including everything I have said in this thread. And not just in this thread, every single fucking thread that you've blindly argued your pr-dick-sucking agenda in.

hey look I can change text font too.

got something wrong with dick sucking now? thats pretty offensive, might want to check your privilege.

I will agree on this though, this is getting old now. So i'll leave this thread be, its all yours, this is just beating a dead horse at this point.

PickelledEggs

The dick sucking agenda remark was a reference to the conceptual and ego stroking type of dick sucking. Unless you are actually that dense that you can't even see that.

As unbeliever said, this is beating a dead horse. If you really want to argue that we're saying things we aren't and also argue things that are objectively a certain way is not how it quite blatantly is, which you can just read any of my posts, shiranu's posts, mermaid's posts, etc etc etc etc etc to read and remind yourself of what they are, you're dense. Objectively dense.

Shiranu

Quoteoh stick a fucking soak in it already. You don't like or can't handle any kind of objective opinion to your own, even from when I first joined here, you've always been like this.

You never look for a middle ground in anything. And in a case like this, you just jump on the social media sheep like the rest of them. Bravo, how enlightened you must be.

You know if I hadn't, in multiple threads and topics, said you (and even pr) had good points or issues that I agree with even if I don't agree with your solutions, that might actually have been some decent snark.

As it stands though... nope. I have multiple times agreed there are things we both agree on, to which I have been summarily ignored... or in several cases, you then begin arguing against me when I am agreeing with you.

Every time I go towards the middle ground, you want to shift it even further towards your side. So in that regard, I am perhaps not willing to seek middle ground with you... but it's because you insist on "middle ground" being 100% in agreement with you, and even then I have the feeling you would say I am wrong.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Baruch

All posts here summarized ... Orange Man Bad.  There are no gays, gamers or atheists here ... just pearl hugging politics junkies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Granted I have not spent alot of time checking out the latest responses from the "general public" about this, but from the brief glimpse I saw there was more than enough people bashing him for being a racist today instead of actually understanding what he said, the time he said it happened, the reason he shared the story and his reticence since then and his last 20-30 years of positive interactions with people of color.

In all it looks like a dog pile on a guy who probably thought at the time his sharing the story was a good way to show how easy it can be to "become" racist but that we can all overcome it. Seem like the lesson got tossed out with the proverbial bath water.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

He was promoting his new movie, which is a revenge fantasy.  I don't know that the character he plays is racist or not.  It was poorly chosen sharing in today's political lynch-mob environment.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: aitm on February 08, 2019, 09:37:16 AM

In all it looks like a dog pile on a guy who probably thought at the time his sharing the story was a good way to show how easy it can be to "become" racist but that we can all overcome it. Seem like the lesson got tossed out with the proverbial bath water.

If I was in his position, I would not admit the stupid things I did in my youth. Even if it wasn't racist, or gender related... you will be crucified for doing so. Those topics may make the backlash worse, but ultimately any stupid thing you did as a child will haunt you for the rest of your life if you don't bury it beyond anyone's remembrance.

Is that "right"? No. People should be allowed to change and we should admit we have skeletons in the closet rather than shaming people for them. But that's unfortunately not how the world has ever worked, at least as far as I am aware.