News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

that Liam Neeson thing

Started by Munch, February 05, 2019, 08:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Quote from: Munch on February 07, 2019, 09:42:42 AM
Oh Hijiri, you used a meme of a paranoid government stooge who almost killed an entire town in his paranoia that he was correct, until the hero robot who proved he was wrong saved the day.

It's funny you using that character as a meme in that context.

Never mind the character. It's the words that count.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 07, 2019, 10:58:51 AM
If the race was white, as in, Neeson was looking for a 'white bastard', there would be no story.
We'd hear all about it from PR and other right-wingers.  When there are political points to be had, they're all over stuff like this.  When it's racism that they tacitly approve of, on the other hand, it's a very different story.

pr126

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 07, 2019, 11:56:20 AM
We'd hear all about it from PR and other right-wingers.  When there are political points to be had, they're all over stuff like this.  When it's racism that they tacitly approve of, on the other hand, it's a very different story.
How liberal of you.

How many "right wingers" are on this forum?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 07, 2019, 11:56:20 AM

There aren't any right-wingers here (except Gilgamesh and a few other exiled persons).  We just don't all buy into AOC as being the new Messiah.

And I don't know of anyone here, who is actually racist, tacit or otherwise.  Are you, tacitly, a shape shifting reptilian?  Innuendo, not a good thing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on February 07, 2019, 11:10:35 AM
Never mind the character. It's the words that count.

Context matters, it helps determine the real message.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 07, 2019, 01:04:08 PM
No, you go fish.  And I want all of your 8's.

What if I dress up as the Old Maid ... will you never pick me? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 07, 2019, 10:58:51 AM
If the race was white, as in, Neeson was looking for a 'white bastard', there would be no story.
https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1093334572706623488?s=09

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

Munch

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 07, 2019, 02:44:24 PM
https://twitter.com/michaelshermer/status/1093334572706623488?s=09

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

he obviously meant rapist, but same thing applies.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on February 07, 2019, 02:48:04 PM

he obviously meant rapist, but same thing applies.

A. Yes, it would be.

B. Wow, how horrible that a social issue be talked about in society!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

So I'm confused.  Picking a fight with a random black person is not racist, but picking a fight with a random white person is?  Seems strange to hold different conclusions based on the skin color of the perp/victim.  If only there was some sort of term for that...

And the media holds double standards because in this thought experiment, the hypothetical racist isn't adequately covered by the hypothetical media? (how fortunate we are that it's only the media with this problem...)

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 07, 2019, 03:51:58 PM
A. Yes, it would be.

Says you.

B. Wow, how horrible that a social issue be talked about in society!

Only when it's convenient
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

I don't think anyone is saying that Liam Neeson is someone we have to worry about in terms of racism. He's definitely not the worst and we all have our hiccups.

The thing that is boggling my mind is that people are saying that it's not racist, though. Even if he isn't a racist, which I honestly don't think Liam Neeson is a racist, being ready for any altercation with any black guy to take his anger out on a specific person IS RACIST.

No matter how you slice it, it's racist. You don't have to be a bad person or a racist person to have a racist thought like that.

It's racist. Period. Full stop. Whether you want to argue whether this is something to jerk your moral highground dicks over on either side of this fence, that is another conversation. But the cut and dry of it is that what that was was a racist comment.

I personally highly doubt that Liam Neeson is a racist and I even more highly doubt that he is in any way a bad person, but that was a racist thing he was thinking and if he was still heated while in an argument/altercation with a black guy, might have actually carried out as he himself admitted.

Is he someone we need to worry about? Most likely absofuckinglutely not.

Unbeliever

I think a dead horse is being beaten.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

aitm

Quote from: Unbeliever on February 07, 2019, 04:53:13 PM
I think a dead horse is being beaten.

Pretty much....but that is our M.O here. The fact that Liam brought it up in the first place is a pretty good indication the guy is not a racist. If someone found some old video of him bragging about it...well, it might be a different story.

If we are going to start punishing people for being honest about how they acted or did something 20-30 years ago instead of understanding WHY they are telling us then some of us aren't ready to help us all move forward.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust