Author Topic: Any gamers around here?  (Read 232182 times)

Re: Any gamers around here?
« Reply #2835 on: November 10, 2018, 03:16:00 PM »
The problem I have with Skyrim's difficulty setting is that the only thing it changes is numbers. Combat in Skyrim is not all that strategic. You're either sniping enemies with a bow before they detect you, or you're trying to reduce the enemy's health to zero before they can. In the latter, it's just a battle of numbers. Changing the difficulty just feels artificial.

I think the series could use an overhaul, adding more strategy to battles. Add a dodge button. Make enemies more intelligent (magic enemies and bowmen trying to keep their distance from you, for example). Add more variety in defensive spells, like a light spell that temporarily blinds enemies, or a shockwave spell that pushes nearby enemies away from you, or a shield spell that grants protection from melee damage if you activate it just before being hit. Make night eye actually useful. Allow players to eliminate sources of light, activate night eye, and slaughter them while they're confused (enemies with night eye, torches, or light spells would still be able to see you). Make poisons more potent, and last longer than just one hit, unless it's an arrow (although retrieved arrows could still be poisoned), but make it a crime to use them against non-evil characters. (Real life poisoned blades were considered taboo in medieval times.) Mods do some of these things, but The Elder Scrolls could do so much better with its combat.

Edit: Oh, and stealth can be improved too. Right now, it is yet another battle of numbers, where crouching with a high sneak ability can make you essentially invisible to enemies looking right at you. In The Elder Scrolls Online, you can sometimes wear a disguise to blend in with the enemy. Bring that in to the main series.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 03:18:47 PM by Blackleaf »
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville

Offline the_antithesis

« Reply #2836 on: November 10, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I've since 3D printed several copies of this game.

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #2837 on: November 10, 2018, 09:11:12 PM »
I think the series could use an overhaul, adding more strategy to battles. Add a dodge button. Make enemies more intelligent (magic enemies and bowmen trying to keep their distance from you, for example). Add more variety in defensive spells, like a light spell that temporarily blinds enemies, or a shockwave spell that pushes nearby enemies away from you, or a shield spell that grants protection from melee damage if you activate it just before being hit. Make night eye actually useful. Allow players to eliminate sources of light, activate night eye, and slaughter them while they're confused (enemies with night eye, torches, or light spells would still be able to see you). Make poisons more potent, and last longer than just one hit, unless it's an arrow (although retrieved arrows could still be poisoned), but make it a crime to use them against non-evil characters. (Real life poisoned blades were considered taboo in medieval times.) Mods do some of these things, but The Elder Scrolls could do so much better with its combat.
Absolutely agreed.  But at the same time, immersion and lore has always been the selling point of The Elder Scrolls - not combat.  It needs to keep that a top priority.  If they can do that and make combat more strategic and not just spray-and-pray (or hack-and-pray), that'd be nice.  And considering the improvements in combat since Morrowind's whiff-tastic dicerolling system, I'm sure it'll get much better in TES VI.  But it'll always lag behind combat-focused games like Dark Souls, so don't get your hopes up too high.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:39:02 PM by Hydra009 »

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #2838 on: November 11, 2018, 02:38:18 AM »
The problem I have with Skyrim's difficulty setting is that the only thing it changes is numbers. Combat in Skyrim is not all that strategic. You're either sniping enemies with a bow before they detect you, or you're trying to reduce the enemy's health to zero before they can. In the latter, it's just a battle of numbers. Changing the difficulty just feels artificial.

Edit: Oh, and stealth can be improved too. Right now, it is yet another battle of numbers, where crouching with a high sneak ability can make you essentially invisible to enemies looking right at you. In The Elder Scrolls Online, you can sometimes wear a disguise to blend in with the enemy. Bring that in to the main series.

Yes I know. But think about it like this, when you are playing Skyrim, you are going out in a world. That is the feeling and the sense they created successfully and they designed and so sacrificed other aspects to support that. At least the sword play tells me that I don't know about the mage play.

In the real word, there is very few people who can actually handle a great sword, shield or sword of any kind. I'll not even mention the armour. And under real circumstances anyone carrying and moving with the sort weapon will be clumsy and not able to block or attack or even move in a free way, let alone strategically. Of course we are talking about a fantasy world and well, this is in a way why we played this game. So one could think doing these things is the whole point of playing a game.

But it seems to me that they took a little from that realistic aspect, put it in a fantasy world and with the story, atmosphere; lore if you will, they tried to create a higher sense of fake reality. Less is more kind of approach. And it works, if you ask me. As I see it, that terrible blocking and the very traditional, limited blunt way of attacks is the result of this motivation.

I also agree with you on more intelligent enemies, but then some are better than others. Not the bandits along the road, but higher level characters are more vigilant. I am thinking, this also must be something very difficult to set an avarage. It could frustrate players. As difficulty goes up it would be very very difficult to go through certain settings.

Offline Shiranu

« Reply #2839 on: November 12, 2018, 04:04:22 AM »

Donnie Yen as Wu Wei in a Sleeping Dog movie?

If their is any justice and goodness left in the world, for all that is holy let this fucking happing.
“And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.” - William Gibson, "Count Zero"

A si i-Dhúath ú-orthor. Ú or le a ú or nin.

« Reply #2840 on: November 12, 2018, 10:43:02 AM »

Donnie Yen as Wu Wei in a Sleeping Dog movie?

If their is any justice and goodness left in the world, for all that is holy let this fucking happing.

Ha! I just finished that game last week. I got the Definitive Edition on Steam for $4.99. It was pretty good, but it felt like they were intentionally leaving open the possibility of a sequel.

"What will you do now, Wei? Go back to the states?"

"No. Hong Kong is my home."

"Yes, but which side of it?"

"..."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk