News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SvZurich

Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I was messing around in MTG Forge and decided to challenge an ultra-hard deck assuming it'd be easy.  And it was fairly easy, they were at 2 health and my victory was assured next turn.  Then they summoned 3 Eldrazi (with haste!) who proceeded to stomp my army into oblivion in a single turn and utterly ruined my chances.  I've never experienced such an upset in all my time playing MTG.  That was truly special.

Blackleaf

I was surprised to learn they announced an Avatar game during E3. That's the blue men Avatar, not Nickelodeon's Avatar. It's been so many years since that movie came out, and while several sequels are being worked on (seemingly assuming the next one will even be a success), we still haven't gotten any details at all. So...why now? Does anybody care? lol
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

While I'm happy that Metroid is getting a sequel to its 2D games, I'm also mildly concerned that it is the fifth game in the series, and the previous 4 games are not all readily available on the Switch. Granted, Metroid 4: Fusion was my first Metroid game ever, and I had no trouble following the game's story. Buuuuuut Fusion had a unique emphasis on story compared to the previous games, which told most of its stories in the game manuals. It gave me a false expectation of the previous games, where I expected to find characters (specifically Adam) who were actually just made up in Fusion.

So who knows? Maybe the game will work fine as a standalone game, with all of the necessary context being given to the player, like in Fusion. Still, I wish they would have released the previous games in a collection or something. Right now, I believe Switch players have access to the original Metroid and Super Metroid (AKA Metroid 3), which leaves out games 2 and 4.

Also, two of the previous games had remakes which improved on the originals, and I really wish they would rerelease them on the Switch. Metroid: Zero Mission for the Gameboy Advance is a very fun remake of the original Metroid, but with extra content at the end. Similarly, Metroid 2: Samus Returns for the 3DS is a remake of Metroid 2. The original Metroid 2 was not received very well, but the remake took it and transformed it into an actually fun game. The same people who made this remake are also the ones working on Dread, which could be seen through the return of the remake's counter move. Before the official remake, there was also "Another Metroid 2 Remake" (AM2R), a highly praised fan game for which the creators were issued a cease and desist by Nintendo shortly before the official remake came out. However, it is still possible to find AM2R on the internet, if you look hard enough. Super Metroid for the SNES currently does not have any remakes that I am aware of, and I've actually never played it. I may have to rectify that.

If you've never played a Metroid game before, I highly recommend Fusion most of all. It also seems to be the one closest in tone to what Dread is going for, so it might serve as a taste of what Dread has to offer. Like the others, it's a Metroidvania game, meaning it's a platformer where you unlock new powers that allow you to access new areas of the game and have a number of optional, hidden powerups throughout. It also has elements of horror, and can get quite intense for an E rated game. The enemies of the game are these alien parasites called the "X-virus," which consume and kill their hosts, forming duplicates of the hosts from their remains. Think like The Thing, except if the alien didn't bother to hide itself, because it can spread quicker than you can kill it anyway.
--Fulke Greville--

SvZurich

I do wish Nintendo would republish/remake the GBA Metroid games.  They are great games!  I also hope they republish/remake Metroid Prime 1-3 so people like me who never had a Gamecube/Wii/WiiU can play they when 4 comes out.

I have to play Fusion and Zero Mission on my old DS Lite, or in an emulator.  I want to fire up the Switch and play them there.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Mike Cl

Starting up the Far Cry series with Far Cry 5.  So far it is pretty good.  I find I have steep learning curve with the keyboard controls.  After I get that sorted out, the game has amazing graphics.  I think they call it the 'reality' type of graphics.  This is a true sandbox in which one can go anywhere and do anything.  The world is very interactive, just a little under the FO4 type of interactive.  One satisfying aspect of this one is that the bad guys are christian cultists who think the world has come to it's end as forseen by their wonderful leader.  So, I get to kill as many of them as I can find.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sorginak

Downloading the Wrath of the Druids dlc for Valhalla.

Hydra009

Playing some more MTG.  I was doing okay against an Elf deck until they suddenly cast their entire deck on turn 6.  They went from having about 7 cards in play to 60 cards in play in the blink of an eye.  I'm not even completely sure how they did it cause my comp lagged so much, though I'm 90% sure it was a "cast a spell, draw a card" feedback loop.  I won because they decked themselves, lol.

I love these insane, mechanics-breaking player-created decks.

*edit - my lifegain deck crashed the program.  Apparently, you can only double a number so many times before the program implodes.

Mike Cl

Far Cry 5.  Pros--great graphics and most missions/tasks are well made.  Acquiring weapons and experience is very good, and the perk system is very good as well.  Cons--it is a remake from a Play Station game to a PC game, and the translation of controls are horrid.  One can drive/fly boats, cars, trucks, ATV's, planes and there are many flavors of each.  But the controls suck big time.  With a joy stick, no problem, but with a keyboard and mouse not so much.  The WASD way of moving each vehicle is most awkward, to say the least.  That, alone sucks much of the air out of the game.  I'll play it for awhile longer, but I doubt I'll bother with it after this go-around.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sorginak

Mobile game update.

Still playing Adventure Communist

Playing a new game, Princess Tale, although I would prefer to see an idle rpg that has all male heroes.

SvZurich

About the only mobile games i still play are the ones by the Trese Brothers. Usually Star Traders Frontiers. I own all of their games on Android, iOS, and Steam. Backed their KSes too.

Their cyberpunk and space games are a blast. Deceptively simple and deep. Lots of mechanics behind the tactics. Can be a space marine squad in one game, a star trader who can do just about everything in a starship, a fantasy hero group in another, or a cyberpunk who can recruit allies in yet another.

Mike Cl

Far Cry 5--It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...........................The 'reality' graphics grabbed me.  Probably the best graphics I've seen in a game.  Great selection of weapons and ease of use is better than average.  The setting and story line is fantastic; until the end.  This is a type of game with more than one ending, but none of them good.  The bad Cult guys win or so it seems.  I hate that!!!!  I hate games like that.  This is 'my' game--I play it to satisfy me, not the game developers.  Have a bad ending--but also make it possible to have a good one.  If I want 'reality' then I'd watch the news.  Hate movies and games that end with the good guys dying or failing.  I don't want to escape reality by watching or playing something that is 'realistic'.  And another huge problem is that the save system sucks big time.  It saves itself when it wants to and doesn't not allow one to go back to a point in the past and go from there.  Why do game developers not get that???? Why is it so hard to have an easy to use and understand save system?  Final verdict.  I enjoyed it--loved certain parts of it, but I probably not replay it again.

Mike Cl

BTW, the game did allow me to have a pet cougar--that was a first and very COOL!  Loved that big cat!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 24, 2021, 11:27:31 PM
BTW, the game did allow me to have a pet cougar--that was a first and very COOL!  Loved that big cat!

Did you name her Mrs. Robinson?
--Fulke Greville--