News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Finished my 2nd play thru of Horizon Zero Dawn.  I don't want to do a third replay--yet.  So, I am between games.  Don't really know which I want to start.  So, in a sort of limbo.  I was a little surprised to realize I feel a little empty right now. :))  anybody else ever feel that way when between games?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

trdsf

Steve Jackson's Illuminati is finally getting an online version.  I'm in on the Kickstarter.  This has been a bad month for me and Kickstarters (between #MakeMoreMST3K and the Prisoner action figure...).  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hijiri Byakuren

Been getting caught up on my Stellaris DLCs after not playing for a couple years. The necroids are an odd bunch. I was curious how they were going to justify putting undead races into a sci-fi game, and it looks like they've borrowed elements from World War Z and an episode of Star Trek: Voyager called "Ashes to Ashes." Species with the necrophage trait (obtainable only through the necrophage origin) primarily reproduce by turning members of other species into themselves.

So the way it works in gameplay is that you start with two species. Your necrophage species makes up the ruling caste, while your other species starts off in indentured servitude. Other species you conquer default to chattle slavery. Only your necrophages can become full citizens and contribute leaders; your other species can never be given rights greater than "resident" and are limited to being workers. Necroid empires have a unique building they can place on each planet called a Chamber of Elevation. It offers the "necrophyte" job to three pops (later six) of your slave species, producing unity and amenities. Every ten years, all necrophytes in the empire morph into the necrophage species, who promptly shuffle off to new jobs to make room for new necrophytes. Necroid empires also have a unique "purge" option available to them. Whereas most purges result in straight-up genociding a species, necroid empires can convert a species en masse into necrophages.

They cannot start out as fanatic egalitarians, nor any type of xenophile; but they can become both once you gain the ability to change your ethics, which is kind of amusing when you think about it. They also can't be machines or a hive mind: but anything else goes. You can even have lithoid necrophages. Yeah, undead rock-people. Figure that one out. Oh yeah, and because of how Stellaris tracks species, you can make necrophage humans. It's pretty wild.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

I've been playing more Armello and having a ton of fun.  Basically, it's Redwall the video game.  Or Game of Thrones with anthro animals, whichever you're more familiar with.

You play as one of 4 princely critters vying to take the throne from the mad king.  But he's no pushover - dark magics coarse through his veins, empowering him but inevitably leading to death.  You fight, magic, trap, and/or trick your way to victory - either by earning notoriety and waiting for the mad king to kick the bucket (the safe way) or breaching the castle and assassinating him yourself.  Or ascend to magical godhood and purge his rot with your holy light.

This is essentially a beautiful board game with cards and a metric ton of RNG.  No matter how skilled or careful you are, you will die in this game.  A lot.  You will pick a fight and lose, stumble on a trap, get attacked by a monster, get a bounty on your head and get hunted down by guards, get hit with a lightning bolt, etc.  So many dumb ways to die.  But death is cheap - merely a minor setback and learning experience.  Don't get mad, get revenge.

Don't like being the prey?  Become the predator.  Drink from rot and corruption and become a monster yourself - even as your flesh fails, you can cut a swathe of destruction and ruin upon the doomed heads of your doomed enemies.  You can try your hand at out-eviling the mad king and beating him at his own game.  I'm not joking, you can basically become Darth Bambi in this game.

My absolute favorite moment recently was getting revenge on an excruciatingly annoying squirrel outlaw who was always pestering me.  So I burned down his forest with him inside.  Meet the Pryo.  The death animation was so satisfying that if I could make Simple Rick's wafers out of them, I would.

Good game, fantastic art, and super cheap right now.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 18, 2021, 12:26:25 AM
I've been playing more Armello and having a ton of fun.  Basically, it's Redwall the video game.  Or Game of Thrones with anthro animals, whichever you're more familiar with.

You play as one of 4 princely critters vying to take the throne from the mad king.  But he's no pushover - dark magics coarse through his veins, empowering him but inevitably leading to death.  You fight, magic, trap, and/or trick your way to victory - either by earning notoriety and waiting for the mad king to kick the bucket (the safe way) or breaching the castle and assassinating him yourself.  Or ascend to magical godhood and purge his rot with your holy light.

This is essentially a beautiful board game with cards and a metric ton of RNG.  No matter how skilled or careful you are, you will die in this game.  A lot.  You will pick a fight and lose, stumble on a trap, get attacked by a monster, get a bounty on your head and get hunted down by guards, get hit with a lightning bolt, etc.  So many dumb ways to die.  But death is cheap - merely a minor setback and learning experience.  Don't get mad, get revenge.

Don't like being the prey?  Become the predator.  Drink from rot and corruption and become a monster yourself - even as your flesh fails, you can cut a swathe of destruction and ruin upon the doomed heads of your doomed enemies.  You can try your hand at out-eviling the mad king and beating him at his own game.  I'm not joking, you can basically become Darth Bambi in this game.

My absolute favorite moment recently was getting revenge on an excruciatingly annoying squirrel outlaw who was always pestering me.  So I burned down his forest with him inside.  Meet the Pryo.  The death animation was so satisfying that if I could make Simple Rick's wafers out of them, I would.

Good game, fantastic art, and super cheap right now.
I've been playing it off and on -- friend of mine talked me into getting it while it was on sale, even though I suck at games that involve strategy beyond "Hit it.  If it moves, hit it again."  Appropriately enough, I didn't win a game until I played the bear, who more or less operates on that philosophy.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on May 18, 2021, 03:30:55 AM
I've been playing it off and on -- friend of mine talked me into getting it while it was on sale, even though I suck at games that involve strategy beyond "Hit it.  If it moves, hit it again."  Appropriately enough, I didn't win a game until I played the bear, who more or less operates on that philosophy.  :D
Which bear?  Sana (mage who specializes in fighting monsters) or Brun (uses magic to amp up his fighting ability).  I'm guessing the latter.  He's fun to play, but he tends to get preemptively attacked a lot, which is pretty annoying.

Personally, I like Barnaby or Horace.  Armored characters who are pretty straightforward.  Gotta fill those equipment slots asap!

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 18, 2021, 10:55:59 AM
Which bear?  Sana (mage who specializes in fighting monsters) or Brun (uses magic to amp up his fighting ability).  I'm guessing the latter.  He's fun to play, but he tends to get preemptively attacked a lot, which is pretty annoying.

Personally, I like Barnaby or Horace.  Armored characters who are pretty straightforward.  Gotta fill those equipment slots asap!
I think it was Brun?  All I remember is that I went into the fight with the king needing to just block two hits to live, and land two to win.  And if I didn't, whoever had the most prestige was probably going to win on the next turn and it wasn't going to be me.

Hydra009

Killing the king is so hard.  I took my chance last game because I had 12 rot (Darth Amber ftw) compared to the king's 8.  So that gives me 8 extra dice rolls.  Successfully infiltrated the castle.  Unfortunately, 3 king's guard attacked me and the third one just barely killed me.  :'(

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 14, 2021, 10:54:25 PM
Finished my 2nd play thru of Horizon Zero Dawn.  I don't want to do a third replay--yet.  So, I am between games.  Don't really know which I want to start.  So, in a sort of limbo.  I was a little surprised to realize I feel a little empty right now. :))  anybody else ever feel that way when between games?
When I wrote this I did not realize that what I was feeling was the same feeling ('empty' is a bit harsh--but sort of.) I had when I finished a good book.  And one big reason I love a good game is that it plays in my head like a good book does.  The game allows me to create a sort of novel like effect in my head, except my game play creates the narrative, not the printed word.  I get the same emotional lift in each case. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sorginak

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 20, 2021, 09:14:38 AM
When I wrote this I did not realize that what I was feeling was the same feeling ('empty' is a bit harsh--but sort of.) I had when I finished a good book.  And one big reason I love a good game is that it plays in my head like a good book does.  The game allows me to create a sort of novel like effect in my head, except my game play creates the narrative, not the printed word.  I get the same emotional lift in each case.

I love that game. I should replay it, as well.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Sorginak on May 20, 2021, 08:44:49 PM
I love that game. I should replay it, as well.
Can't wait for the next DLC to be released.

Mr.Obvious

Finished the Turing test on 'PS now'.
Good little puzzle game.
Kind of like a more serious (in story) portal, without the portals.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

So this is what I've been up to... now to just beat 2 and 3 on insanity, and be amongst the probably 1%.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sorginak

I was considering purchasing the Mass Effect Legendary Edition package from Origin for the PC, because I've never played the first two, but then I was like, nah~.