News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 13, 2021, 08:18:38 PM
And I thought my 32" was pretty nifty. :))
It was a perfect opportunity -- I got my annual bonus and eight months of retroactive raise, and figured it was time to dispense with my old tube set that I'd had since 1996.  Finally stepped into the 21st century.  :)

I have to say, I'm really pleased with it.  I wanted something I wouldn't need to upgrade for a long time and between Roku, Plex and Link, my entertainment needs are fully met.  As I recall, I paid about the same (~$400) for it as I did the tube set it replaced.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on April 14, 2021, 11:28:42 AM
It was a perfect opportunity -- I got my annual bonus and eight months of retroactive raise, and figured it was time to dispense with my old tube set that I'd had since 1996.  Finally stepped into the 21st century.  :)

I have to say, I'm really pleased with it.  I wanted something I wouldn't need to upgrade for a long time and between Roku, Plex and Link, my entertainment needs are fully met.  As I recall, I paid about the same (~$400) for it as I did the tube set it replaced.
I can remember (somewhere in the misty, misty deep past) my first color tv.  It was a huge 19'' and was COLOR!  I can clearly remember the old tv I grew up with--a huge box, with a small screen, black and white--RCA; and I can remember when we first got it.  I could then watch The Lone Ranger on the tube rather than listen on the radio.  The Whistler, Range Rider, Cisco Kid, St. Preston and Yukon King, and Rin Tin Tin were must watches!! :))
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

started playing dead war 4 with my brother.
Only did the first level, played it a few times online with others on my own after that.
Hoping to play each level first with my brother.

Fun game. Shooting works great and feels amazing. That's about all there needs to be for this little stress-reliever.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 14, 2021, 12:47:46 PM
I can remember (somewhere in the misty, misty deep past) my first color tv.  It was a huge 19'' and was COLOR!  I can clearly remember the old tv I grew up with--a huge box, with a small screen, black and white--RCA; and I can remember when we first got it.  I could then watch The Lone Ranger on the tube rather than listen on the radio.  The Whistler, Range Rider, Cisco Kid, St. Preston and Yukon King, and Rin Tin Tin were must watches!! :))
We got our first color TV in 1968: the deal was if Mom had a girl, we'd get a color TV.  So me and my little brother were staying at Grandma and Grandpa's house while Mom and Dad are at the hospital (I was nearly 5, my brother was 2).  Finally, Dad called, asked for me, and said "We're getting a color TV," and I announced to the family, "I have a sister!"  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmpXf0nFCII

Got a kick out of this. The guy managed to beat Skyrim without directional inputs; no left stick, and no WASD. There are a number of obstacles that complicate things, but he finds a solution (usually a bug) for each one. It's amusing seeing the dedication he puts into seeing this challenge through to the end.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5tsEJgPn30

Basically, this is Equilibrium: the video game.  Roguelike with gun kata galore.  It knows what it wants to be and sticks to it.

I'm strongly considering getting this and playing it with my brother, which should be a hoot with friendly fire on.  We beat the first three levels of Battletoads together, which is some Pacific Rim type stuff.  Soul resonance, go!

Hydra009

I've been playing Age of Empires 3.  Playing as the Aztecs and sending the Europeans packing is endlessly entertaining to me.

Why the Aztecs are the best:
1) inherently cool art, architecture, and war dances
2) melee splash damage
3) stealth (brutal combo with above)
4) ludicrously effective archers who put cannons to shame
5) oodles of cards that boost unit stats
6) the inherent humor in naming your hero unit Montezuma and achieving any measure of revenge

Cons:
No walls.  Don't need 'em.
No guns.  Don't need 'em.
No cavalry.  Don't need 'em.

Mike Cl

Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition for PC.  This is a very satisfying and interesting game.  The story line is excellent and developed and revealed  in a very interesting manner.  Nitpicky time--the markers leading to your next objective were not always accurate and it took some wandering around to find it.  That is minor, however to the rest that is simply fantastic.  On a purely personal note--I am not overly fond of heights.  One of the personally scary lessons for me to learn was repelling as taught by the National Guard.  My nuts were in my throat the entire time--from thinking about it to actually doing it.  Not that bad when I finally did it, but not good enough for me to want to go mountain climbing--or hill climbing for that matter.  In this game, climbing is a huge part of it.  I was surprise at how good the graphics were in that my nuts went straight to my throat in many, many climbing missions!  I cannot praise this game enough! 

I'm not sure of the replay value tho--but I will attempt it.  There are so many cut scenes that it may be laborious--but maybe not.  Going to give it a try.  Thanks to all on this thread who played it and shared their thoughts--piqued my interest enough make we want to pick it up.  Very, very happy I did.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Launched into my replay.  So far, it seems do-able and enjoyable.  This game is so vast and complex, that I find I missed a bit in the first play through.  I do wish it was a first person view and not 3rd.  But even in that, the game did it in a good way.  I discovered awhile ago, that if I like the story of a game, I love to replay the games much like my grandchildren love to have the same story read to them over and over again.  I used to kind of laugh at that--now I find I'm the same way with games! :))

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 30, 2021, 11:33:26 AM
Just finished Horizon Zero Dawn complete edition for PC.  This is a very satisfying and interesting game.  The story line is excellent and developed and revealed  in a very interesting manner.  Nitpicky time--the markers leading to your next objective were not always accurate and it took some wandering around to find it.  That is minor, however to the rest that is simply fantastic.  On a purely personal note--I am not overly fond of heights.  One of the personally scary lessons for me to learn was repelling as taught by the National Guard.  My nuts were in my throat the entire time--from thinking about it to actually doing it.  Not that bad when I finally did it, but not good enough for me to want to go mountain climbing--or hill climbing for that matter.  In this game, climbing is a huge part of it.  I was surprise at how good the graphics were in that my nuts went straight to my throat in many, many climbing missions!  I cannot praise this game enough! 

I'm not sure of the replay value tho--but I will attempt it.  There are so many cut scenes that it may be laborious--but maybe not.  Going to give it a try.  Thanks to all on this thread who played it and shared their thoughts--piqued my interest enough make we want to pick it up.  Very, very happy I did.

Did you finish the frozen wilds too?
I loved this game. First real ps4 game I ever played. Had such a blast, finished the main game for 98%, loved exploring, wandering and growing stronger. Fun fighting in a stunning world.
And a good story too. As well as a really competent and immensely likeable strong main character.
There were small things that irked me here and there. During dialogues with npc's we entered the uncanny Valley at times and the dialogue options were useless. Looking for things on maps, was a bit off like you said. Crafting was a bit of a mess. But those were all nitpicks indeed.

But the frozen wilds dlc. My god. That kicked up things not a notch but a hundred notches. Gone was the uncanny Valley. Better dialogues, an even better looking environment smaller in size but so packed with stuff.

It made me realize, and I would put money on this, that the true sequel, forbidden west, is going to be simply amazing.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 01, 2021, 11:04:07 AM
Did you finish the frozen wilds too?
I loved this game. First real ps4 game I ever played. Had such a blast, finished the main game for 98%, loved exploring, wandering and growing stronger. Fun fighting in a stunning world.
And a good story too. As well as a really competent and immensely likeable strong main character.
There were small things that irked me here and there. During dialogues with npc's we entered the uncanny Valley at times and the dialogue options were useless. Looking for things on maps, was a bit off like you said. Crafting was a bit of a mess. But those were all nitpicks indeed.

But the frozen wilds dlc. My god. That kicked up things not a notch but a hundred notches. Gone was the uncanny Valley. Better dialogues, an even better looking environment smaller in size but so packed with stuff.

It made me realize, and I would put money on this, that the true sequel, forbidden west, is going to be simply amazing.
One of the major reasons I'm replaying it is that I missed the frozen wilds.  I finished the main game and then thought I could do the frozen wilds.  Couldn't find it then.  I noticed it said that one should be at least level 30 and I finished at 45.  So, prior to the last fight in the main game, I'll go off and tackle the frozen wilds. 

I agree with all of your assessments.  I found the voice acting to be excellent, and the main character one of the strongest (maybe THE strongest) characters I've ever played.  Making the main targets to be machines was a stroke of genius.  Most of them moved and acted like animals; and if they had been animals, I would have had a hard time with that and may not have even bought the game.  I simply do not like the so called big game hunting games.  There is a sequel in the making???  I really do hope so!!

Mr.Obvious

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 01, 2021, 04:33:51 PM
https://youtu.be/kxpHEGSsB6g
Damn!  PS5!  They need to do the PC version first!   Thanks for the video Mr. Obvious.

trdsf

Portal 2 Reloaded is highly recommended -- it adds time travel to the blue and orange portals.  Also, free if you already have Portal 2; it's a fan-made extension, and a really, really well made one at that.

Hydra009

In industry news, Blizzard lost 29% of their players over the last 3 years, yet bizarrely, their sales are fine despite not releasing any games for the past 5 years.

I think I have partially solved this conundrum: it's by gouging existing players, like charging a cool $35 for Classic WoW players to clone their character over to the Classic Burning Crusade servers.

Epic Games spent over a billion dollars to make certain games exclusive (purchasable only through Epic Games for a year, and these sales no doubt subsidize future exclusivity)