News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on June 28, 2020, 07:38:45 PMFuck you, Steam.

(3/4 of my wishlist was on sale.  The bastards.)
Barely any of my wishlist is heavily discounted, which is fine because I already have plenty of games.  And the new ones I want to play (Cyberpunk, Elder Scrolls VI, Iron Harvest) are definitely going to require a PC upgrade.  But when I do upgrade, it's going to be a hell of an improvement.  Like going from a coal furnace straight to a fusion reactor.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 28, 2020, 10:41:40 PM
Barely any of my wishlist is heavily discounted, which is fine because I already have plenty of games.  And the new ones I want to play (Cyberpunk, Elder Scrolls VI, Iron Harvest) are definitely going to require a PC upgrade.  But when I do upgrade, it's going to be a hell of an improvement.  Like going from a coal furnace straight to a fusion reactor.

Don't know about Iron Harvest, but TESVI: Redfall is still a few years away. They have to finish their new IP, Starfield, before they can put their main focus on Redfall. Best case scenario, Bethesda surprises us with an announcement for Starfield set for release in December. The following year, they release a couple DLCs for the game, while they're working of TESVI in the background. I think the earliest we'll get it is in 2022.

All this is assuming, of course, the world ever gets back to normal, and we haven't all killed each other by then.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

There is one video game that I just had to pick up: Terraforming Mars on sale for $10.

If you haven't played it, it's a very popular board game where each player heads a different corporation to - you guessed it - terraform Mars.  The name is 100% accurate.  Essentially you have to manage a bunch of resources - grow your resources faster than your opponent and use those resources to build cities, oceans, and even patches of grass.  That sounds simple enough, but it gets VERY complex.  There's an element of unpredictability to the game, so the person winning may not be the ultimate winner.

If you'd be down for playing Civilization on pacifist settings, then this is right up your alley.  And compared to the board game, all the math involved in the game - and there's a lot of it - is handled by the computer, so gameplay is a lot easier in the video game.

The only thing better than Terraforming Mars would be a Warhammer 40k variant called Reclaiming Mars (set towards the end of the Age of Strife) - where you play as rival Adepts rapidly reclaiming Mars after its brief anarchy, reawakening vast forges, searching old ruins, scouring the surface for old technology, even - weather permitting - sending out expeditions to found the first Forge Worlds.  The winner is the one with the most STC points.  :)

Shiranu

Gris, a small indie game out of Spain, is hands down the most beautiful game I have ever experienced... and any competition is not even remotely close. The artistic styling is simply the best that has ever been put from pen to screen imo, and to complement it is one of the greatest OST's I've ever heard.

The oddest thing for me though was that after about the 3 hours it takes to beat the game... I found myself in tears. I don't want to express why for fear of spoiling it, but it is easily the most emotional video game (or artistic in general) experience I have had in at least a decade.

It is a walking sim with very basic puzzle platform elements, but I still cannot recommend this game highly enough. It is the best gaming experience I have had in a very, very long time. It's not perfect, but it's still an amazing experience.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

This guy sums it up amazingly. If you have even the slightest urge to play the game, I recommend not watching this... but if it's literally something you will never touch this video is an amazing summary of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdJTdNJtq3U
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2020, 04:31:49 PM
It looks good, it's just a little too expensive for me right now.

Oh I got it from a discount too. And as it is said, almost every fucking thing is on discount and I'm completely broke. Grrrr.

:bashcomp:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

*me playing an RTS*

Computer:  "In this mission, you can win one of two ways:  1) take the fight to the enemy and drive them from the map or 2) fortify your own position then activate an ability that provokes the entire enemy force to fearlessly march on your position and successfully defend it"

Me: 

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on July 07, 2020, 09:31:18 PM

Gris, a small indie game out of Spain, is hands down the most beautiful game I have ever experienced... and any competition is not even remotely close. The artistic styling is simply the best that has ever been put from pen to screen imo, and to complement it is one of the greatest OST's I've ever heard.

The oddest thing for me though was that after about the 3 hours it takes to beat the game... I found myself in tears. I don't want to express why for fear of spoiling it, but it is easily the most emotional video game (or artistic in general) experience I have had in at least a decade.

It is a walking sim with very basic puzzle platform elements, but I still cannot recommend this game highly enough. It is the best gaming experience I have had in a very, very long time. It's not perfect, but it's still an amazing experience.
I decided to buy it based on what you said. Woke up early so I could play it before work. Dude, I was not ready for that. I had to get myself composed again on the commute.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 09, 2020, 12:36:20 AM
I decided to buy it based on what you said. Woke up early so I could play it before work. Dude, I was not ready for that. I had to get myself composed again on the commute.

Yeah, it's emotional. Glad you got it though!

[spoiler]I honestly think it's the best artistic representation of depression/anexity/PTSD/etc. I have ever seen. Subconciously I think I was understanding it throughout the game, but then once the ending hit it just all hit at once. It's a lot.[/spoiler]

Blackleaf

RPG fans: "Where the HELL is The Elder Scrolls VI!?"

Obsidian: "We heard you like first-person fantasy RPGs."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN17k6P4XVw
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Meh, just another flash-in-the-pan RPG like a million others.  Wait...Obsidian?  Like Outer Worlds and Fallout New Vegas Obsidian?!  Oh hell yes!

Come to think of it, they also made Dungeon Si... *someone pulls out a gun behind me*  Ok, nevermind that one.

Hydra009

I almost forgot how much I loved Mech Commander.  It's one of those mecha games where you lead a squad of walking tanks through a warzone, capture/destroy specific targets, and try your damnest to get them back in one piece.  No guts, no galaxy.

Even though you can't really get much reinforcements, you can commandeer the occasional downed enemy mech on the spot and salvage the rest after the battle - assuming they aren't totaled.  Some equipment can't be bought, only salvaged.  And it's primo technology, too!  So you're incentivized to do the bare minimum damage to your enemy to knock them out of the fight while taking the least amount of damage yourself.  It's like a game of cat and mouse - winner gets shiny new goodies!

And the best part is the implication that your enemy absolutely HATES your guts for taking their proprietary stuff.  They already  basically consider you subhuman.  Now you're a subhuman rolling around in their territory in their ride with the decals scratched off - seemingly conquering the conquerors while beating them with their own baton.  They must be frothing mad at that!

Hydra009

Sins of a Solar Empire factions compared:

TEC: "I'm tanky and have a great economy!"

Advent: "I have psychic powers!"

Vasari: "I'm good at raiding...sort of."
Interviewer: "Is your economy good enough to build a raiding fleet?"
Vasari:

Hydra009

I've been playing a lot of RTS matches lately and I've finally created an army that perfectly matches my playstyle.  As you might guess, its main advantage is that its footsoldiers heal themselves passively - regenerating health constantly throughout the battle - and supported by healers as needed.  That powerful duo is further reinforced with heavy units highly resistant to damage, which pair wonderfully with the healers.

It may not be the most high-damage or skillful or fastest army in the world, but it is by far the most enduring.  It can fight and fight and keep fighting, enduring near-constant combat that would have killed a less hearty army 10 times over, wearing down the enemy until there's nothing left.

They're not invincible - they're vulnerable to focused-fire and bombardment and traps, but they never fall quickly and rarely forced to retreat.

When I assault a position, my forces shrug off punishing blows, close the distance, and overrun the enemy, washing over them like an unstoppable tide.  It's so very simple and so effective.

Basically, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw0jwrWqOKI

Mr.Obvious

Replaying half-life on my PS2.
Fun game.
Good times.
Much wow.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.