News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkBCQZyQns4&t=152s

been playing this a lot lately, such a relaxing game. Even though I'm meant to buy and resell houses I kinda tend to keep several of them and keep coming back to redesigning them.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

drunkenshoe

Does anyone play settlers online?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Been playing more Endless Space 2 lately.  That game is a time machine.  It's practically impossible to finish in a game in a single day.

I've been upping my game, playing on normal.  Don't laugh, "normal" is more like hard.

Well, if I really push myself, I can expand fast enough to beat the AI to endless riches and then trounce them.  Or I can get hit with setbacks and fall behind.  It's kind of a crapshoot.

The game is polished and playtested like crazy, but I will never for the life of me understand why the hero skill system is such a mess.  Heroes can govern planets or captain fleets.  Every skill you take is going to improve only one of those two things.  The levelup screen is a cluttered mess with both skill types jumbled together.  And worse, sometimes you run out of governor skills to take, so my alien senator Aberoham L'colin is apparently really good at planting claymores, not that it matters since unless his ass is in the Oval Office, the economy will implode and my citizens will be eating mud pies for dinner.

Two.  Columns.

Sal1981

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/features/2020/5/27/21265613/runescape-is-helping-venezuelans-survive

Old School RuneScape (OSRS) goldfarming has become the lifeline to several tens of thousands of Venezuelans since their home economy is in shambles. Despite my distaste for goldfarming, if it puts bread on the table for suffering people, I can only but admit that I see the moral imperative for goldfarming on OSRS. But really, they need a regime change there at the bottom of it.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrtodXOIeW8

The Remastered Command and Conquer games (Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert) are now available on Steam/Humble Bundle!

I am SORELY temped to purchase immediately, but Steam doesn't have reviews up yet, just curator comments.  This also goes against my longstanding EA embargo, but I'm willing to make an exception for an actually good game without horrendous microtransactions.

Command and Conquer was my first RTS and a hugely influential one at that.  In particular, the folks at Westwood pioneered full motion cutscenes.  Almost every RTS I've ever played was influenced in minor or major ways by C&C.  And Kane was such a great villain.

And few games needed a remake as much as this one.  It ran on DOS, used IPX for multiplayer, and its full-motion videos were heavily pixelated.  'Nuff said.

I want this remake to be a huge hit because I desperately want EA to remake the remaining C&C titles - my personal favorites: Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2, and C&C Generals.  If this remake doesn't do well, those remakes might be scrapped on the tarmac and that would be truly disastrous.

IN THE NAME OF KANE!

Hydra009

Reviews are up!  And it's ~90% favorable atm!

Happy dance time!

Sal1981

I remember my first RTS was Dune 2.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mr.Obvious

Playing re4 on the old ps2
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

I beat Fallout New Vegas again.  This time I achieved victory for the NCR in cooperation with the Brotherhood, Enclave Remnants (wat!), Boomer air support, and Followers tending to the wounded.  Coalition victory!  It took a LOT of diplomacy, but it was well worth it.

During the pivotal battle, I sniped Legion lookouts with a Railcannon (Project Nevada mod, energy weapon equivalent of a rocket launcher) and carpet-bombed doomed legionnaires with miniature Fat Man bomblets.  I straight up nuked the Legate before he could utter a word (which just made him angry), knocked him off his feet with a volley of grenades, then punched his ugly head off his body with a Power Fist.  I checked the Gun Runners kiosk, and it was all out of F-bombs to give.  :)))

This is the kind of victory I always wanted - a victory with maximum happiness and safety for all involved.  The bulk of the dead were petty tyrants, maniacs, and slavers.  Good riddance.  Now I can walk the Mojave in relative peace - although I still have to walk quietly near the Quarry.  Some monsters are best left sleeping.

*lovingly strokes recharger rifle*
Someday, my sweet.  Someday.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 09, 2020, 10:33:27 PM
I beat Fallout New Vegas again.  This time I achieved victory for the NCR in cooperation with the Brotherhood, Enclave Remnants (wat!), Boomer air support, and Followers tending to the wounded.  Coalition victory!  It took a LOT of diplomacy, but it was well worth it.

During the pivotal battle, I sniped Legion lookouts with a Railcannon (Project Nevada mod, energy weapon equivalent of a rocket launcher) and carpet-bombed doomed legionnaires with miniature Fat Man bomblets.  I straight up nuked the Legate before he could utter a word (which just made him angry), knocked him off his feet with a volley of grenades, then punched his ugly head off his body with a Power Fist.  I checked the Gun Runners kiosk, and it was all out of F-bombs to give.  :)))

This is the kind of victory I always wanted - a victory with maximum happiness and safety for all involved.  The bulk of the dead were petty tyrants, maniacs, and slavers.  Good riddance.  Now I can walk the Mojave in relative peace - although I still have to walk quietly near the Quarry.  Some monsters are best left sleeping.

*lovingly strokes recharger rifle*
Someday, my sweet.  Someday.
I have not done that victory.  Gives me something to look forward to. :)  I have achieved victory with all factions, except Cesar--refuse to ally with a slaver--I do love killing him and his tribe.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 09, 2020, 11:54:36 PMI have not done that victory.  Gives me something to look forward to. :)  I have achieved victory with all factions, except Cesar--refuse to ally with a slaver--I do love killing him and his tribe.
It's funny how calm and genial he seems, but he has a hair trigger temper!  I blew up the Securitrons like he wanted and he practically toasted my name.  Then I told him I wasn't doing anything else for him and he was furious, cussed me out and threatened me.  So touchy!

Blackleaf

Ya'll seen the PS5 design? It looks pretty awesome to me. Very sleek and futuristic. No idea how much it is going to cost, though. And I feel like the Digital Edition is them carefully dipping their toes in the water for eliminating the need for selling their games at retail. Like, they really want to do it, but they know that presenting it as an option will keep people from getting mad. In the past, I used to think that taking away the middle man meant more savings for the consumer, but with video games in particular, I don't think that's the case. Even Nintendo sells their games at full price on their digital store, including the old ones. A lot of video game developers like to test what they can get away with in the market, such as releasing a weapon skin for $71.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sf5Y1QiKvQ

This is what it looks like, BTW:

It comes with a ton of stuff, too. Including an HD camera. I don't know how much it's going to cost, but I expect the price point to be pretty high. Like "why did I buy this instead of a PC" high.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 12, 2020, 03:05:45 PMYa'll seen the PS5 design? It looks pretty awesome to me. Very sleek and futuristic.
Very eye-catching, though that's not a super important feature to me compared to its utility.

Spec-wise, it seems to be a significant step up from the PS4.  SSD instead of HDD, 8-core AMD Zen 2 up to 3.5 GHz instead of 8-core 1.6 GHz AMD Jaguar CPU, AMD RDNA 2 instead of AMD GCN Radeon (36 CUs at 2.23GHz, 10.3 TFLOPs instead of (18 CUs at 800MHz, 1.84 TFLOPS)

AMDs recent chips (Zen/Ryzen) have been huge improvements and very popular, so that's big.  And the video card seems quite nice as well.  Consoles have a bit of a reputation for promoting dated technology as "next gen", so it's very nice to see 2019 technology in a 2020 console.  Should definitely be able to support 60fps, though don't quote me on that.

Even though I don't play on consoles, this huge technological upgrade might help me personally - game developers should be able to pump out much better-looking games, since they're often developed for both consoles and PC, or ported from console to PC.

Hydra009

I just realized that the new Xbox whatever it's called (god I hate their naming system.  As Rick put it: "time to stop naming and start numbering, you know") also uses AMD for both the CPU and GPU!

AMD is going to be drowning in cash soon.  Never thought I'd see the day where Intel and Nvidia are on the ropes, but it sure looks like it.

AMD has been a bit of an underdog for years.  Good for them.