News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2019, 03:02:43 PM
AngryJoe talked about it a bit, and honestly... I don't think BlizAct actually needs to give one shit about their American market.
Arguably, they haven't for over a decade.  Stupid Chinese gold-farmer infested servers.  "Do you guys not have phones??" 🤦

And sure, they could focus entirely on asia, but idk how long that's gonna last with everyone sporting a Free Hong Kong Mei avatar.  Blizz could very easy find itself on the wrong side of the heavy-handed censorship policies they stood by before.  Blizz basically dug its own grave this week.

Munch

just came to talk about this too with blizzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=97&v=d1yUbXKbHGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtE5HJAgJU

This is sad to watch. I still play world of warcraft, and sometimes hearthstone and overwatch, love those games, and appreciate the people who keep developing them.

But this is just insane, if they had just said something like 'we don't appreciate you using this as a political platform' when he spoke about chinas liberation, then they could have gotten away with it. Instead they landed face first and showed their CEOs for where they really stand, and its just sad.

My boyfriend turns out knows someone online who works in the blizzard offices, he's sometimes let onto future plans and events (which have all happened) and swears for my partner to keep it secret, he doesn't even let onto me. This friend of his messaged my bf telling him the mood in blizzard offices is so dire right now.

This is so sad, Blizzcon is right around the corner, and I think its going to be a disaster.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on October 09, 2019, 08:54:01 PM
just came to talk about this too with blizzard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=97&v=d1yUbXKbHGg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWtE5HJAgJU

This is sad to watch. I still play world of warcraft, and sometimes hearthstone and overwatch, love those games, and appreciate the people who keep developing them.

But this is just insane, if they had just said something like 'we don't appreciate you using this as a political platform' when he spoke about chinas liberation, then they could have gotten away with it. Instead they landed face first and showed their CEOs for where they really stand, and its just sad.

My boyfriend turns out knows someone online who works in the blizzard offices, he's sometimes let onto future plans and events (which have all happened) and swears for my partner to keep it secret, he doesn't even let onto me. This friend of his messaged my bf telling him the mood in blizzard offices is so dire right now.

This is so sad, Blizzcon is right around the corner, and I think its going to be a disaster.

"So now Blizzard have disabled ALL FOUR authentication methods to actively stop people from deleting their accounts."

Dafuq?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on October 09, 2019, 08:54:01 PMThis is sad to watch. I still play world of warcraft, and sometimes hearthstone and overwatch, love those games, and appreciate the people who keep developing them.
I liked WoW initially (an amazing open world and great technical achievement at the time) but soured on it after a while because of some serious quality of life issues.  It also became increasingly clear to me that the game was intentionally laden with lots of unnecessary mandatory downtime - wind riders, frequent eating/drinking, corpse running, etc - in order to slow player progress and keep them in their seats as long as physically possible.  The progression was just a giant grind, which would be fine if it weren't for the frequent planned obsolescence of gear, essentially erasing any progress - WoW was essentially the RPG equivalent of a stairmaster.

I remember farming essences in Un Goro crater and thought to myself, why exactly am I doing this?  And the real answer was that I wasn't playing for fun, I was playing to check boxes off and that I had been manipulated into thinking that was fun.

When City of Heroes came back right as Classic WoW was about to be rolled out, choosing between them was easy - CoH gives freedom of movement, grouping up is relatively easy and fast, you don't have to worry about killstealing or ninjalooting, and you don't have to sweat your gear so much.  And you get to enjoy it all at your own pace.

I remember in WoW when I was teamed up with a guy gunning for Warlord and he was playing like 60 hours a week or something, because at the time, that's what you had to do to get that rank.  Absolutely incredible.

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 09, 2019, 09:37:37 PM
"So now Blizzard have disabled ALL FOUR authentication methods to actively stop people from deleting their accounts."

Dafuq?

yeah thats gonna get them in some serious hot water. Blizzcon is just over a week away, and people are predicting a shitshow, even stages being rushed with protests.

QuoteI liked WoW initially (an amazing open world and great technical achievement at the time) but soured on it after a while because of some serious quality of life issues.  It also became increasingly clear to it that the game was intentionally laded with lots of unnecessary mandatory downtime - wind riders, frequent eating/drinking, corpse running, etc - in order to slow player progress and keep them in their seats as long as physically possible.  And the progression was just a giant grind, which would be fine if it weren't for the frequent planned obsolescence of gear, essentially erasing any progress - WoW was essentially the RPG equivalent of a stairmaster.

I remember farming essences in Un Goro crater and thought to myself, why exactly am I doing this?  And the real answer was that I wasn't playing for fun, I was playing to check boxes off and that I had been manipulated into thinking that was fun.

When City of Heroes came back right as Classic WoW was about to be rolled out, choosing between them was easy - CoH gives freedom of movement, grouping up is relatively easy and fast, you don't have to worry about killstealing or ninjalooting, and you don't have to sweat your gear so much.  And you get to enjoy it all at your own pace.

I remember in WoW when I was teamed up with a guy gunning for Warlord and he was playing like 60 hours a week or something, because at the time, that's what you had to do to get that rank.  Absolutely incredible.

you know the funny thing, blizzard use to during around cataclysm and mists of pandaria, in their loading screens, little messages giving players tips on it, like staying to pathways to avoid mobs or enjoy the game more in groups. But they also put up messages like 'Wow is fun, but remember theres life outside the game, remember to enjoy that' or some such hallmark card crap. You don't see them putting those messages up in loading screens anymore though.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

On a more positive note, there's one part of WoW I very fondly remember:  The Barrens.

It's a nice, fairly large map:  savanna dotted with horde watchtowers overlooking rocky hills, endless fields of grass, watering holes, and bramble-wreathed bushes.  Plenty of critters, goblins, pirates, and presumably, Mankrik's wife.  And the whole thing was this gorgeous orangey-tan during the day.

But the main draw was the chat.  Oh god, the chat.  It was filled with the most random, insane nonsense I've ever heard on the internet.  But I've never laughed so hard at the dumbest stuff in my life.

Hijiri Byakuren

My base in No Man's Sky, as of about ten minutes ago.

The tall building is my "Tower of Power" where I keep all my solar panels. 8 per floor. There's a ton of batteries in the underwater portion that keep the place running overnight.

The little building connected to the landing pads is a little lobby. There's a receptionist desk, a few delightful little plants, golden diplo statues, and a teleporter to the underwater section. There's a hallway in the back leading to another teleporter which connects to the six biodomes you see up top. In those biodomes I'm growing frost crystals for glass making, and faecium for multiplying condensed carbon in a refiner.

The rectangular structure in the middle there contains the lounge and the offices. The lounge has some medium refiners in the back, as well as a couple emergency generators tucked under the stairs. Closer to the front windows are some tables, furniture, and even a small terrarium where an adorable little blob monster lives. It connects to the garages via a small deck where I keep the barbecue.

The garages are connected to land via a half-mile long bridge. I'm thinking about adding a little ramp for the Nomad since it can hover across water.

The underwater portion is pretty much all batteries. Every room has eight batteries in it. In addition to the batteries, four rooms contain a teleporter, large refiner, base portal, and moon pool respectively. The moon pool is about a hundred feet above the ocean floor, and you can choose to keep swimming or drop down to the garage and use the Nautilon to get around instead.

Technically a base will float in the air if you build it off the ground, but I added support structures just for kicks and giggles. For the supports underneath the landing pads and driveway, I had to leapfrog the pieces over since they don't normally connect to those structures.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

I was talking with my brother about old RTS/tactics games and it's funny how different our approaches are.

I use maneuver warfare - I lead high-speed, high-damage forces to deliver very sudden, very powerful strikes against an enemy with the hope that the enemy crumples in the first few volleys and I can assault any survivors with minimal casualties.  I typically don't waste my time with anything slow or bother with attrition or stealth.

My favorite thing is to run behind an enemy convoy, annihilating its defenders one at a time, and then capturing as many resources as humanly possible.  Fast, clean, efficient.  I actively try to minimize collateral/splash damage.  All my weapons only fire at legitimate military targets, everything else is captured as intact as possible.

My brother, on the other hand, basically uses guerilla warfare.  He relies heavily on stealth and ambushes, especially on the rear lines.  And lots and lots of explosives.  He's the kind of asshole who will ambush, feign a retreat, then lead the enemy directly into another ambush.  It's doubtlessly effective, but it sickens me.

His favorite thing is to bypass enemy lines by going through normally impassable terrain (tunnels, airdrops, etc) to strike deep in enemy territory where there isn't a strong military presence, causing enormous infrastructure damage before withdrawing.  And he's more likely to blow up enemy resources than capture them for himself, an approach we strongly disagree on.  Not the most elegant solution, but it gets results.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 14, 2019, 11:27:05 PM
I was talking with my brother about old RTS/tactics games and it's funny how different our approaches are.

I use maneuver warfare - I lead high-speed, high-damage forces to deliver very sudden, very powerful strikes against an enemy with the hope that the enemy crumples in the first few volleys and I can assault any survivors with minimal casualties.  I typically don't waste my time with anything slow or bother with attrition or stealth.

My favorite thing is to run behind an enemy convoy, annihilating its defenders one at a time, and then capturing as many resources as humanly possible.  Fast, clean, efficient.  I actively try to minimize collateral/splash damage.  All my weapons only fire at legitimate military targets, everything else is captured as intact as possible.

My brother, on the other hand, basically uses guerilla warfare.  He relies heavily on stealth and ambushes, especially on the rear lines.  And lots and lots of explosives.  He's the kind of asshole who will ambush, feign a retreat, then lead the enemy directly into another ambush.  It's doubtlessly effective, but it sickens me.

His favorite thing is to bypass enemy lines by going through normally impassable terrain (tunnels, airdrops, etc) to strike deep in enemy territory where there isn't a strong military presence, causing enormous infrastructure damage before withdrawing.  And he's more likely to blow up enemy resources than capture them for himself, an approach we strongly disagree on.  Not the most elegant solution, but it gets results.
I'm with your brother on this one. :))  The name of the game for me is stealth.  Give me an overpowered suppressed sniper rifle and the ability to sneak, and I'm good to go!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sal1981

In RTS games, I usually used brute force more than anything. Use key'd units, like in the C&C games where they artillery units in the rear while heavy fortified units in the front and just go to town.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 15, 2019, 09:52:21 AM
In RTS games, I usually used brute force more than anything. Use key'd units, like in the C&C games where they artillery units in the rear while heavy fortified units in the front and just go to town.
Nothing beats a group of IFV snipers, missile troops, and engineers.  Except maybe prism tanks, but that's boring imo.

Using Russia's tesla tanks to rapidly destroy harvesters was fun, too.

For Generals, I loved to Humvee rush.  USA air for Chinook sniper gloriousness.  Commanche raids were fun, too.

Mike Cl

If I'm talking armies, then blitzkrieg is my favorite way to go.  If small units, snipe from afar picking off enemy units--the finish them off in a rush.  Individually, I like to be sneaky and use stealth and sniper rifles.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Blizzard (绿茶婊) bans three more players after they voiced support for Hong Kong

In fairness, they were calling for a boycott, too.  So definitely something that Blizz wouldn't be happy about.  But yanno, if you're in hot water for being too heavy-handed, it's probably a good idea to not do anything to reinforce that idea, even when provoked.

Shiranu

Finally got a new controller, which means...

time to finally beat Sekiro
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXQjx49JH7A

YA F*CKED IT UP

Look, I have no real problem with a subscription model (though I do note that the subscription model has fallen out of fashion since the 2000s MMO heyday)

BUT

no one - absolutely friggin' no one - wants to shell out $100/year for a game that was pretty much dead on arrival with a crapton of gameplay problems and downright scandalous business practices *coughcanvasbagcough*

You know, there was a time when Bethesda had a hell of a lot of community goodwill.  Not anymore.  Truth is, the game was rigged from the start.