News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 11, 2019, 04:30:12 PM
Yes x 4.  Not sure how to get to the on-line version (Steam etc).  The rules are easy.  Fighting is small.  Kind of like a natural disaster, if you have a enough men to fight off the barbarians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlWEMHBwVVA

The online version also does Egypt and China.  Individual people can be clicked for info (from distant perspective) to determine current morale.

I might get it for nostalgia, after I move.

IF you are playing, I might give it a go.  What's the point of the game?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2019, 06:02:20 PM
IF you are playing, I might give it a go.  What's the point of the game?
I used to play--The object is to build the biggest and best city you can.  It was mildly entertaining.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 11, 2019, 07:31:40 PM
I used to play--The object is to build the biggest and best city you can.  It was mildly entertaining.

I don't think he was looking for "Challenging".  Just a pleasant diversion.

This is an old game, not multiplayer.  Rome:Total War can be multiplayer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Well I'm now at the point in No Man's Sky where I can do some hydroponics farming. Just got a few more base-building quests to do before I'll pack up my shit, move it all into my freighter, and head for the Galactic Hub.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

drunkenshoe

The soundtrack starts in my head whenever I see a visual from Caesar. I played the II for a very long time, not sure what's new in in the III.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 13, 2019, 10:59:41 AM
The soundtrack starts in my head whenever I see a visual from Caesar. I played the II for a very long time, not sure what's new in in the III.

Started in Caesar II also.  Moved to Caesar III in early 2001.  It was first released in 1998.  Caesar IV was released in 2006.  Pharaoh was released in 1999 (on Caesar III engine).  All are rated in 90+ like.

Emperor was released in 2002, on the Caesar III engine).  Supposedly Caesar III, Pharaoh, and Emperor are supposedly bundled thru Steam.

In my experience, Caesar III over Caesar II was more tweaks, bug fixes, faster engine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Shameless plug for Albion Online referral link (I get rewards for sharing referral link):

[spoiler]
https://albiononline.com/?ref=QQKW2TZQT7
[/spoiler]

I bought Premium for Albion Online. It even runs averagely on my potato computer (it's 5 or 6 years old and only has an integrated Intel graphics chipset I just can't run it on the highest resolution). I must say, I got quite interested in the PvP aspect of the game, which is the main drive in it. There is PvE and some other crafting and farming stuff, but it is centered mostly around PvP and guilds. There even are GvG and another ZvZ (Zone vs Zone) where guilds fight for real places in the ingame world, and not some instanced bs like in Guild Wars 2 or in other games.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Pharaoh+ Cleopatra is still the best Egyptian city building.  It's still a good game.  A new one is coming soon. Builders of Egypt. Looks fine to me.

I have played Zeus and Poseidon for a long time too, I still play tehse games, but didn't get well along with Caesar IV. But when weather start to cool I want to play Banished or Forest Village as city building in the last few years since they came out. They are cosy. And still no word from Ancient Cities. :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGOKK8bA6Po

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Builders of Egypt looks like a great refinement.  There will always be fans of this, but I would want it more like Sims.  I want to choose my historical clothing, language, religion etc and focus not just on the big picture, but like the children's game of Life.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 11, 2019, 07:31:40 PM

I ordered it.  I can risk $14 for the hope of something that suits me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

I have a prediction for The Elder Scrolls VI: Redfall, whenever it eventually releases. I think they're going to want to give the main protagonist special powers, to fill the void of Dragon Shouts. Wouldn't you know it, the region the game is believed to take part in, Daggerfall, was once home to warriors with legendary powers. These warriors were called the Sword Singers. As I understand it, Sword Singers could conjure blades from their own souls, and were basically one-man armies. Sword Singing is supposed to be a dead art, but you know there's one wise old man out there who's been keeping the tradition alive just long enough to teach us. After all, the death of Martin Septim was supposed to be the end of the Dragonborn, yet we got two of them in Skyrim.

I could only speculate on how such a mechanic would work, since the lore on it is kinda vague, and we've never seen Sword Singers in the games. Dragon Shouts were in a similar boat before Skyrim, being described as giving the person's voice the power to shout down walls and such. Of course, we know now that there are more shouts than just Unrelenting Force. They could similarly expand on Sword Singing, having different forms or stances with various abilities.

In Skyrim, Shouts are basically magic without an MP cost, and a cooldown to keep you from spamming them. Sword Singing can't just be a way to conjure a weapon, since we already have Summon Weapon spells. And you don't want to make it so that only warrior type characters can use it. One idea of mine is that Sword Singing could function as a limit break of sorts. As a battle progresses and you give and take damage, a bar on your hud could steadily fill up. Once full, the player could activate it to get whatever effects their equipped stance provides. One might cause energy beams to fire from its summoned spirit sword swings. Another might give the player a flame cloak, or turn the user invisible for a short duration, or give the player HP regeneration. Damage from the summoned sword could be based on player level rather than One-Handed (or whatever equivalent skill they have), so that all character types could make use of it.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Whatever they do, I pray to the earthbones that they bring back major and minor skills.

And bring back birthsigns!  Also, fame/infamy.  And mysticism (mark/recall ftw), custom spellcrafting, better utility spells (slowfall, waterwalking, levitation, etc) and spell failure chance.

None of that is too difficult to implement, all have been previously implemented on much more limited hardware.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 17, 2019, 09:38:28 PM
Whatever they do, I pray to the earthbones that they bring back major and minor skills.

And bring back birthsigns!  Also, fame/infamy.  And mysticism (mark/recall ftw), custom spellcrafting, better utility spells (slowfall, waterwalking, levitation, etc) and spell failure chance.

None of that is too difficult to implement, all have been previously implemented on much more limited hardware.

Honestly, I understand why they removed much of that stuff. Mysticism is a very poorly defined school. Mark, recall, and soul trap was pretty much all it had. Seems like Mysticism just covered the spells that didn't fit well in the other schools. Even in lore, there are arguments between characters about how to define magical schools, so it's perfectly justified for them to move some spells to other schools.

Spellcrafting was just broken in Oblivion. You could create the most ridiculously OP spells in that game. If they bring it back, they need to find a new system that isn't as easily abused, IMO.

Slowfall is fine. One Skyrim mod of mine adds a spell called Dropzone, which is cast at the ground to create a field where you can land without fall damage. I've fallen off mountain tops using that spell. It's pretty exhilarating making that leap.

Waterwalk actually exists in Skyrim, but in the form of a rare enchantment instead of a spell. Reintegration of a waterwalk spell should be easy enough to do.

Levitation, though, has the potential to just break quests. You could just levitate to the top of a fort and skip right to the boss. I'm not against it coming back, but I can understand why they took it out.

I also actually prefer the way Skyrim handled skills. Any character can become good at any skill, but it's the perks you choose that really define your character. Two characters can have the exact same skill levels, and yet feel entirely different to play due to how their perks points are distributed.

What I'd like is more Summoning variety. Maybe it's just me, but I remember there being many more options for creatures to summon in Oblivion. You used to be able to summon basically any Daedra type in the game. In Skyrim, you can summon familiars, those standard humanoid Daedra, and those three elemental Daedra, plus the raise dead and a few unique spells. No Daedroth, Xivlai, Imps, Hunger, etc.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Mysticism itself is poorly defined, so it works.  (Though, magic manipulating magic is a good working definition)

Plus, it's an excellent dumping ground for experimental spells that don't fit cleanly in any of the other schools of magic.  And besides, as the most supernatural-oriented school, mysticism is like Marvel's soul infinity gem within the Elder Scrolls universe.  It's just not the same without it.

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 17, 2019, 10:16:47 PMI also actually prefer the way Skyrim handled skills. Any character can become good at any skill, but it's the perks you choose that really define your character. Two characters can have the exact same skill levels, and yet feel entirely different to play due to how their perks points are distributed.
I think we might be shooting for the exact same thing here.

I loved Morrowind for that exact reason - through major and minor skills, you define your character to a large extent.  Sure, you can learn stuff outside of your specialty and get all those skills to 100 in time, but you're going to have a far different experience with one race/class/birthsign than with another race/class/birthsign.  I would very much like to have that sort of experience again.

Also, might it be possible to combine Morrowind's skill system with Skyrim's perk system somehow?