News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2To2KA0jPQo

Interesting video about the impact YouTube has on gaming. I kind of forgot that Google owned YouTube. They are really screwing themselves over, if you think about it. There's no way YouTube videos covering the games on the Google Stadia are going to stay monetized, so most gaming channels aren't going to be incentivized to cover them. I think the Stadia is going to fail for several reasons, but they're shooting themselves in the foot here.

One thing I thought Matt was going to cover that he didn't was how several gaming companies seem to be imitating the games that are trending on YouTube. Think about how many games have been trying to be Fortnite. Even Fallout 76 got a battle royale mode at E3.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Thanks for sharing this video.  It really puts the relationship between game developers/publishers, YouTube, and gamers into perspective.

A lot of the time, games only come on my radar because of YouTube.  Hell, I probaly wouldn't even know about Battletech if it weren't for let's plays and little clips online and I LOVE Battletech stuff.

I can't stress YouTube's influence enough.  When it comes to games, YouTube is my primary source of information - not ads, not E3 not Kotaku, not IGN, not GameSpy (are they even still around?) - and it's almost all gameplay videos or memes or fanart - it's all fanmade (earned) media.

That's why the adpocalypse is so terrible.  I know that people who have to do the ol' 9 to 5 aren't terribly broken up about GokuFan777 getting less money for basically hitting the power on button on his console and then screaming at his TV for 3 hours.  It's really hard to feel sympathy for some of these people, I know.  But it's not just him who's affected by these blanket advertising bans, it effectively shuts down a LOT of great fan content, which hurts word of mouth and sales for some great games that couldn't get enough exposure, which ultimately hurts you the consumer.

All essentially because of conflict between paid media (advertising companies) and earned media (fans trying to promote something they love)

In time, one of two things is going to happen - advertisers are either going to change their minds and put ads on gaming channels again like they used to or there will be a YouTube exodus.  Either way, the status quo is going to change in a big way and fairly soon.  All the drama and frustration about DMCAs and copywrite strikes and mass demonitization is eventually going to bubble over to a massive shift, mark my words.

Blackleaf

Why did it even become a thing for advertisers to choose what genres of videos their ads could be played on? Has anybody in the history of the internet ever seen an ad preceding something on TV and thought, "Pepsi played a commercial before Pat Robertson came on? That must mean that Pepsi agrees with Pat Robertson!" No. That'd be absolutely ridiculous. Yet these moronic advertising companies think that having Pepsi play before Pewdiepie will make people think that Pepsi approves of Nazis, because Pewdiepie appeared on the news one time wearing a Nazi outfit. It's so stupid.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 25, 2019, 12:21:51 PM
Why did it even become a thing for advertisers to choose what genres of videos their ads could be played on? Has anybody in the history of the internet ever seen an ad preceding something on TV and thought, "Pepsi played a commercial before Pat Robertson came on? That must mean that Pepsi agrees with Pat Robertson!" No. That'd be absolutely ridiculous.
There a sort of logic to it, they pull ads from Tucker Carlson's show because they don't want to be seen as condoning whatever bullshit he said that week.  And it's pretty crazy to see Tide Pods ads on videos talking about kids eating Tide Pods.  It's understandable that they want to avoid that.

It's their strategy to mass blacklist new media that's worrying.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 25, 2019, 06:03:22 PM
There a sort of logic to it, they pull ads from Tucker Carlson's show because they don't want to be seen as condoning whatever bullshit he said that week.  And it's pretty crazy to see Tide Pods ads on videos talking about kids eating Tide Pods.  It's understandable that they want to avoid that.

It's their strategy to mass blacklist new media that's worrying.

In the end.  You will only have newspapers, radio, TV and rotary phones.  That is all the Deep State can manage.  To absorb all the digital traffic of the world, requires as much electricity as all of N America, just to run the hard drives.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

_Xenu_

Has anyone else noticed the distinct lack of game bundles at Humble Bundle lately? It almost makes me wonder if they intend to stop doing them.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Cavebear

This is why I bought an old Win95 computer.  Civ2 is an old friend I can never quite beat at the top level but is like a new chessboard every time...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Anybody else here play Mario Maker 2? I've been playing a lot of it since launch, and I've made a few levels of my own*. I just found this guy on YouTube who finds weird mechanics and glitches that can be used in the game. Interesting stuff, and "surprisingly simple."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlgGgo56zqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydu1-aN_gUE

*PM me if you want the codes. I don't want to just post them here because some lurker might use that to connect me to another username.
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

"This cobweb of sick blood; our honour is to protect the holy blood."

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 14, 2019, 12:44:54 AM
"This cobweb of sick blood; our honour is to protect the holy blood."

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sal1981

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 13, 2019, 05:35:22 PM
Anybody else here play Mario Maker 2? I've been playing a lot of it since launch, and I've made a few levels of my own*. I just found this guy on YouTube who finds weird mechanics and glitches that can be used in the game. Interesting stuff, and "surprisingly simple."

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlgGgo56zqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydu1-aN_gUE [/spoiler]

*PM me if you want the codes. I don't want to just post them here because some lurker might use that to connect me to another username.
I watch Grand Poobear, Ryukahr, Barbarious and CarlSagan42 on Youtube play Super Mario Maker 2.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on July 14, 2019, 02:10:18 PM

At the end of the day, Bloodbourne was just a story of one lone hunter trying to make his way to the local McDonald's and bring his mom home some McNuggets.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Felt cute.  Might hack the galaxy later and establish sleeper cells everywhere.

Shiranu

QuoteThe Lovecraftian mythos (as exemplified by Bloodborne) is essentially the myth of Western man after the Death of God. Instead of communing with the Gods and striving to achieve harmony with the transcendent, we find ourselves in a cyclopean material universe devoid of any recognizable meaning and with no regard whatsoever for the odd coincidence that is our strange and incomprehensible existence.