News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Xenu_

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 10, 2019, 10:51:36 AM
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is 97% off on Steam right now. It includes Borderlands 2, The Pre-Sequel, and DLC for $6.02. If you were ever considering giving Borderlands a try, and you're a PC player, now's the time.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/8133/Borderlands_The_Handsome_Collection/
Already bought, but it says my system does not meet the requirements and wont run. :-(
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

Literally unplayable.

Planet perks/penalties are assigned fairly randomly, leading to some illogical combinations.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 07:17:48 AM
Generally the good strategy is generate as much butter up front as possible, so you can rapidly create high quality fighters when necessary.  Better than creating lots of low quality fighters continually, while starving development.  But you have to have a minimum of minimum quality fighters to survive the early rounds.

Guns and Butter, right.  You've played this game? 

So I went for 2 good defenders and 1 attacker in each city (a Phalanx, an Archer, and a Horseman - and their equivalents as I advanced) while going for the best Wonders (Pyramids, Great Wall, Great Library).  I built 14 cities (12-15 seems to be about the best balance) and moved my Palace to the most central city.  Then I built Caravans everywhere.  Some went to other civs but most were saved to build Wonders.  It is a really good tactic to be building good Wonders until you are warned that another Civ is nearly completing one and move Caravans there to complete it yourself.

The outer cities all got Coastal Fortresses as soon as possible and when the game reached the point where the Great Wall was about to expire, I built city walls in each city. 

I'm exploring the last few techs to get to space flight, and I'm only seeing a few Ironclads from the other Civs, so I'm ahead.  On the other hand, I don't actually have many ships either, so I have to be careful.  Ship tech can increase fast and the other Civs are forging alliances and trading tech against me.  I DIDN'T get the UN and that makes things difficult.  But I did get Hoover Dam and Adam Smith.

It's going to be close...  But at Emperor, that is good for me.    I spent more time per turn this game, and it has paid off.  And I paid more attention to the barbarians.  Usually, they just come at a couple cities and they can't win.  But I went after the Leader and peace afterwards was valuable for improving those cities.

Deity level is going to be almost impossible.  The computer increasingly cheats at each level (to where it can produce a unit or advance in half the time it takes me.  But that is why it gets harder.  It's not like the computer gets smarter, just faster.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

See, I am not a masochist.  I only play my game at Easy level, but no cheats.  I suspect the AI cheats though, crafty bugger!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 05:10:14 AM
See, I am not a masochist.  I only play my game at Easy level, but no cheats.  I suspect the AI cheats though, crafty bugger!

I wish you would be direct about whether you play Civ2 or not.  It would make the discussion easier.

In Civ2, there is actually an option asking if you want to cheat.  I tried it once out of curiosity and it was too easy.  Aside from that, technically, the AI cannot actually "cheat".  It can only follow it's programming.  When I mentioned previously that the computer "cheats" I meant only that the program gives it some advantages at higher levels.  There are 2 ways a computer can play better at a higher level. 

First, it can be allowed to think more turns in advance or use a better strategy (built into the programming).  Second, it can simply produce more units against the rules I labor with.  In Civ2, the computer simply takes only 8 turns to produce a unit that costs me 10. 

That's what I meant by "cheating".  I don't mind if the programming works smarter at higher levels.  That's for me to deal with in response.  But if the computer is allowed to just "cheat at the dice" so to speak, that's just wrong because there isn't anything I can do about that.  And that is what annoys me.

It's like playing a friend at chess and he sneaks pieces onto the board when you aren't looking.

Baruch

Memory?  Stated way up the chain ... Total War Rome.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 11, 2019, 08:57:20 AM
Memory?  Stated way up the chain ... Total War Rome.

Given that there are 212 pages in this thread, a slightly more direct link would help. If you want to make it a sight challenge, give me a page number.  ;)

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 12, 2019, 01:42:16 AM
Given that there are 212 pages in this thread, a slightly more direct link would help. If you want to make it a sight challenge, give me a page number.  ;)

No need.  I quoted myself just earlier, in even shorter form.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 12, 2019, 03:53:09 AM
No need.  I quoted myself just earlier, in even shorter form.

So you can't find it then?  That's OK.  Not everyone can find their own posts.  Sometimes I can't either.  I was just curious what you knew about Civ.  Don't worry about it.

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 10, 2019, 10:51:36 AM
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is 97% off on Steam right now. It includes Borderlands 2, The Pre-Sequel, and DLC for $6.02. If you were ever considering giving Borderlands a try, and you're a PC player, now's the time.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/8133/Borderlands_The_Handsome_Collection/
The only thing I know about Borderlands is that little robot shows up in Poker Night 2 and is probably the easiest to beat, among Brock Samson, Ash Williams, and Sam (from Sam & Max).  On a megadeep discount like that, I checked it out... and it doesn't look like a game that would interest me.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Finally, some good news:

Quote“The crunch point is an interesting one,” Nintendo of America’s president Doug Bowser told me at E3. “For us, one of our key tenets is that we bring smiles to people's faces, and we talk about that all the time. It's our vision. Or our mission, I should say. For us, that applies to our own employees. We need to make sure that our employees have good work-life balance.”

“One of those examples is, we will not bring a game to market before it's ready. We just talked about one example [in Animal Crossing’s delay]. It's really important that we have that balance in our world. It's actually something we're proud of.”
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/11/nintendo-comments-on-crunch-and-game-delays-a-e3-2019?sf103895883=1

Kudo to Nintendo for not working its employees to death and not releasing unfinished games.

Blackleaf

That's something I admire about Nintendo. They're not all about the money. Often, they do things just because they think it would be fun. They have some if the weirdest, quirkiest games and hardware because of that, such as Mario & Rabbids. While everyone else is trying to milk every penny from their customers with microtransactions, using the games-as-a-service model to release in a broken state just to promise they'll actually be good after a year of support or so, Nintendo is continuing to put its art and its customers first.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Me playing as a Clan Jade Falcon commander:

trdsf

Welp, speaking of gaming, I'm just back from Origins.  I mainly go for the Smithee Awards, but the dealers room is fun to wander, and friends will be there.  Today was just wandering around the dealers room before the crowds settle in on the weekend, and hanging out with some friends.  Tomorrow is the Smithees.  Haven't decided what I'm doing Saturday and Sunday yet; one of those days I'll be at Pride, the other I'll be meandering the convention space.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan