News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I have finally played City of Heroes tonight after 7 long years of being away.

It was glorious.  Nostalgia overload. Such a welcoming and friendly community, too.

I feel as if I am finally home.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 20, 2019, 11:40:55 PM
Well today's you're lucky day, because a test server has now been activated.  Only a small amount of the content is up and running, and the server is having all sorts of problems, but it is technically possible for the general public to play this game again - a fact that previously hadn't been true for 6 years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/

DISCLAIMER: download at your own risk and expect lots of technical issues: you might be unable to create an account, unable to connect to the server, and/or experience all sorts of lag/crashes while playing.  Expect no technical assistance from me.

I merely point towards the door, you must walk through.

Seems a little complicated. I think I'll just give them a month or two to work out the kinks, then I'll try to jump in. Thanks for the link.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Just as well.  The server's temporarily down as they work on a plan that doesn't end in a cease and desist.

Hydra009

But make no mistake, this is not the end.

What happened last night was a miracle in the sense of Daenerys birthing dragons - a once-in-a-lifetime event with far-reaching effects.

This game was a practically magical experience that was tragically cut short.  And it has been dead and buried for years.  Almost everyone thought it was gone forever.  But a few dedicated people brought it back for a short while - magic has returned to the world and it once again touched our lives.

We remember.  We hope.  And a fortunate few hold glass candles, blow on the embers, and flames dance in their eyes.  In time, this fire will burn bright and everlasting from sea to shining sea.  But for now, we wait, hope, and talk to like-minded people half a world apart.

This time, will not sit by and allow dragons to pass from this world.

Shiranu

Trying so hard not to buy the new Mortal Kombat... haven't played one since like... the second one?... on the Super Nintendo when I was like 8 lol.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 22, 2019, 07:50:34 PM
Just as well.  The server's temporarily down as they work on a plan that doesn't end in a cease and desist.

Are they making any money off of it? If not, I don't see the harm in it. It's a dead game the publishers either are unable or unwilling to revive. That won't stop a lot of publishers from trying anyway, of course. That's one thing I can respect about SEGA, at least. When fans made Another Metroid 2 Remake, Nintendo forced them to take the fan game down. But when fans made a Sonic CD remake, SEGA was like, "You're hired. Oh, and do you have any ROM hacker friends or fans who remix our music?"
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 22, 2019, 11:50:38 PM
Are they making any money off of it?
No.

QuoteIf not, I don't see the harm in it. It's a dead game the publishers either are unable or unwilling to revive.
Precisely their argument.  That didn't stop NCSoft from killing the Tabula Rasa revival attempt and it's anyone's guess what they'll do this time around.

But this time, we're not taking any chances.  This revival project will be spread around so much that it'll be nearly impossible to stop.  We also hope to have several backup servers.  Cut off one head, and two will take its place.

Hydra009

For anyone interested:

1) City of Heroes is back up
2) it's on a test server (characters will get wiped)
3) the test server is still slightly unstable, but it's more stable than it has been previously (lag spikes and disconnects are fairly infrequent now)
4) Everything is a Nemesis plot

Hydra009

Now there are 4 test servers (which may or may not get wiped) with over 7,000 people trying to play this 15-year-old game.  I never expected this game to return or to have such a strong following.  This is so crazy.

Shiranu

Got Sekiro, and it's absolutely brilliant... in a, "I'm going to have my ass handed to me time and time and time again until I am on the verge of having a stroke and throwing my controller out the window" type of way. I love it. Right now I'm stuck on the Blazing Bull, a mini-boss powerful enough that they actually had to nerf him a bit because they noticed most of the player base were stuck on him (he is about 3 hours in [for me, I am not a professional)].

When you get a groove going, are murdering people left and right like the shinobi badass you are... it is zen. It really is. I'm not lying when I say it's almost like molly or cocaine as you carve your way through enemies, grapple onto rooftops to drop down and assassinate someone and then flowingly move on to the next target, deflecting, rolling, parrying, jabbing your way through a stylized Feudal Japan straight out of the old samurai movies (with some super-natural inspirations for good measure). It legitimately gives you some type of weird brain high.

That said... a big cry in the gaming community right now is, "IT NEEDS AN EASY MODE SO I CAN ENJOY IT!", to which I (and the developers) say...

Nah.

Literally the ENTIRE point of these games is to be hard as fuck, to force you to get good. If what you are really interested in is the story... watch a "Let's Play" play through.

Whenever I beat this game, I'm going to feel proud about it because there was no scaling difficulty, no easy route... I had to bust my ass off to do it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Ancient Cities is still not out and who knows when.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on April 30, 2019, 05:36:22 PM
Ancient Cities is still not out and who knows when.

Maybe they are still tweaking the "smell-o-vision" since in that age people didn't bath yet ;-)

Çatalhöyük?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Epic Games recently bought the game studio that created Rocket League and strongly hints that by the end of the year, Rocket League will no longer be purchasable on Steam and be available on the Epic Games launcher instead.  The review bombs have already begun.

At this point, I feel like I should show a world map with the Epic Games army gobbling up territory and on a direct path to the dozing regional hegemony of Valve - ruled by Sir Gaben the Second.

Hydra009

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 02, 2019, 03:31:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bevqtZ0bXt0

Hot damn, I think I just found my next medieval game.
That does look very, very good!  Since it comes out on PC as well as PS4, I can play it.  May 14 is the release date.  Think I'll wait a week or so and see if it is stable. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?