News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2nBh6AFXWs

It's official. Bethesda has turned into EA. At least the makers of New Vegas are making a new RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc

Ironic, since Bethesda's new IP, Starfield, is set in a similar space-age sci-fi universe. I wonder which will be better. No, actually, I don't. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

I was unaware of The Outer Worlds--thanks for the update, Blackleaf.  I do look forward to that one.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 15, 2018, 11:10:42 AMAt least the makers of New Vegas are making a new RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGLTgt0EEqc
It's like Borderlands and Fallout made a baby.  I love it.  If it's half as good as advertised, it'll be amazing.

Hijiri Byakuren

Bethesda may be sucking with new titles, but at least we still have modders working on the old ones. I'm chugging my way through Legacy of the Dragonborn in Skyrim still. I'm up to 700 items at the moment, although most of that is just miscellaneous shit I've stuffed into the armory (and with Immersive Weapons, there is a lot in there). Still, I've got enough stuff in the main hall that the place looks like a proper museum now. You're not being greeted by an empty room anymore.

Not sure how much I'll commit to putting things into Deepholme. Big things like the elder scrolls, the daedric artifacts, and the dragon priest masks are easy enough to keep track of. The rest I'm not sure are worth bothering with, even from a role playing perspective.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

trdsf

Normally the upcoming release of a new game means bupkus to me, even one I like the sound of and might well buy and play.

But a new sequel to The 7th Guest with the original actor for Henry Stauf?

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

All I want to do is play Civ2 again...  My game needs are simple.  The "play old games" thing doesn't work...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 03:58:01 AM
All I want to do is play Civ2 again...  My game needs are simple.  The "play old games" thing doesn't work...

My Ex loves Caesar III.  The city building part.  Wish there was a Sims version, with Roman characters (you get to be slaved, raped, etc).  It was resurrected as a streaming game, when last time it was still on DVD only.  So write to the manufacturer.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 08:37:46 AM
My Ex loves Caesar III.  The city building part.  Wish there was a Sims version, with Roman characters (you get to be slaved, raped, etc).  It was resurrected as a streaming game, when last time it was still on DVD only.  So write to the manufacturer.

I think I actually played that once.  I figured out how to create 2 accounts and traded between myself until I got rich.  Then, because that wasn't the purpose of the game, I game it to the State and left.  Never let it be said I corrupted a simple game designed for meeting others.

Baruch

Caesar III had minor amounts of combat, marauding barbarians etc.  But for my ex, that is just an annoyance.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 12, 2019, 12:15:31 PM
Caesar III had minor amounts of combat, marauding barbarians etc.  But for my ex, that is just an annoyance.

不開心çš,,妻子

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 01:02:53 PM

不開心çš,,妻子

I see a "chink" in your a'mor ... 没有妻子
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 12, 2019, 03:58:01 AM
I checked GOG... sorry, it goes back no further than Civilization III, unless you meant Galactic Civilizations II.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on January 06, 2019, 12:27:44 AM
Normally the upcoming release of a new game means bupkus to me, even one I like the sound of and might well buy and play.

But a new sequel to The 7th Guest with the original actor for Henry Stauf?

I liked 7th guest and 11th hour because of their revolutionary (at the time) use of CD-ROM, psuedo-3D environments, and live action video clips.  The quirky puzzles and creepy atmosphere were the cherry on top.

Now that all that stuff is pretty dated.  Though I did like the sadistic multiple-choice ending of 11th hour.  As much as I liked Henry Sauf, AFAIK we never really get to know all that much about the toymaker and his mansion.  Simply being creepy only gets you so far. 

In order to be good, this series has really got to step it up - top-notch voice acting, great music, deep lore, etc.  Sad to say, but I don't think this series has enough vitality to make a comeback.  The last two kickstarters failed and for pretty predictable reasons.  Too long under water.  Not enough remaining interest.

The third try's the charm, perhaps, perhaps not.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 13, 2019, 09:58:10 PM
I liked 7th guest and 11th hour because of their revolutionary (at the time) use of CD-ROM, psuedo-3D environments, and live action video clips.  The quirky puzzles and creepy atmosphere were the cherry on top.

Now that all that stuff is pretty dated.  Though I did like the sadistic multiple-choice ending of 11th hour.  As much as I liked Henry Sauf, AFAIK we never really get to know all that much about the toymaker and his mansion.  Simply being creepy only gets you so far. 

In order to be good, this series has really got to step it up - top-notch voice acting, great music, deep lore, etc.  Sad to say, but I don't think this series has enough vitality to make a comeback.  The last two kickstarters failed and for pretty predictable reasons.  Too long under water.  Not enough remaining interest.

The third try's the charm, perhaps, perhaps not.
T7G was the game that just about made the CD-ROM drive a requirement rather than an option.  I remember installing an internal 1x SCSI where you had to load the disc into a holder and insert the whole shebang.  Insert a shake of my cane and a rant that starts "Darn kids!  In my day we had to program in ones and in zeros... and sometimes we ran out of ones!" here.

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic about the new game.  The developer seems to get it; we'll see if he can deliver.  The music is being done by someone else, although I hope they're going to keep most of the basic themes -- George "Fat Man" Sanger's soundtrack is still my favorite video game music.

I won't mind if the acting is clunky -- it was in the first one.  If he nails the atmospherics and the puzzles, it's a win.

Hydra009

I'm rewatching the first one and I've gotta say, both the acting and writing were very clunky, almost comedic.

*a homeless, vagabond Stauf has a dream about a doll*
*Stauf creates an exact replica of the doll from memory*
*Stauf goes to a bar*
*the bar owner says his daughter would love the doll and offers Stauf food and lodging in exchange for the doll, which Stauf accepts*

Man, dolls sure fetched a premium price in the 90s.  Cause that's one hell of a deal!