News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Xenu_

Quote from: Munch on November 07, 2018, 08:17:34 AM
Wouldn't world of Warcraft have to end first before wc4 happens? And wow is such a cash cow for blizzard they've used up all their interesting lore on wow itself, leaving nothing for a wc4
I don't play WOW, so I am not sure how that works.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

_Xenu_

Quote from: Munch on November 07, 2018, 03:04:57 PM
*shrug* i replayed final fantasy 9 on steam a few months back, had a blast replaying it.
Yeah, I have that on Steam. Liked it better than I did as a kid.

Hijiri Byakuren

After playing exclusively on the lowest difficulty, I started a new Witcher 3 playthrough on the highest difficulty. It's... actually not that bad.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Munch

Quote from: _Xenu_ on November 07, 2018, 04:10:11 PM
I don't play WOW, so I am not sure how that works.

the way wow's worked now, they've used all the most popular lore figures up after nearly 15 years, the lich king and the scourge, deathwing, Kael'thas, Illidan, Thrall, and latest expansion set to have a boss fight with Azshara. Blizzard also seems to just create new threats and off them just as quickly as making them.
So unless wc4 was made up like some alternative timeline story seperate from the wow one, to still use those interesting characters, I dunno how they'd pull that off.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on November 07, 2018, 08:55:12 PM
the way wow's worked now, they've used all the most popular lore figures up after nearly 15 years, the lich king and the scourge, deathwing, Kael'thas, Illidan, Thrall, and latest expansion set to have a boss fight with Azshara. Blizzard also seems to just create new threats and off them just as quickly as making them.
So unless wc4 was made up like some alternative timeline story seperate from the wow one, to still use those interesting characters, I dunno how they'd pull that off.

Add generic copies of The Marvel Universe?  Make the Hulk "The Bulk", and Iron Man "Titanium Man"?  Bring back some outcast figures like Mantis?  Or create some new one a la Wild Cards books?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

_Xenu_

Free Steam keys:

Dead Island Definitive Edition
22C4L-LMNNK-T3XG3

Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
40GLW-D87QG-RF6MV

Please let me know if claimed.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 07, 2018, 08:20:12 PM
After playing exclusively on the lowest difficulty, I started a new Witcher 3 playthrough on the highest difficulty. It's... actually not that bad.

I don't think I can play Witcher in death march, but yeah easy mode is a put off. But I think all these games are like that. Try playing Skyrim under adept. 

As it was my first owrpg, I had no experience and also I had no idea the game would automatically start in adept mode. I played it like mad, had so much fun, but then at some point in a dungeon I can't pass this draugr. He is not even a death lord, but he comes down from stairs somewhere, disarms me so forcefully and then slaughters me like a chicken. I tried it so many times and then I gave up. I was having so much fun, I was so dissapointed. And didn't want to go and do any other quest, because I had to get out of that dungeoun running all the way back. I magine how embarassing that is!

A little time passed, I told this to someone -actually a poster here-  and he -naturally- asked 'Why don't you lower the difficulty then?' I was like 'But I didn't touch it, doesn't it start with the easy mode itself?' 'No, it doesn't!' LOOL Also going back to the game I realised trying to go through the game with close combat-greatsword only is not something I have to do that there actually times I need to use a bow and it is fun too. 

Well, that's the middle aged rookies playing owprg for the first time for you or a stupid klutz. Choose one. LOL

But then, I don't think I would love that game if it wasn't that hard for me when I first played it.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

I didn't finish Skyrim either for similar reasons.  I got through the dragon part that I think you refer to.  It was overly annoying in difficulty, but I did slay the dragon after so many tries that I was bored to death with the episode.  Then I continued on and had several interesting experiences in fantasy castles, while meeting interesting townsfolk, but then I had to descend from the top of some mountain while having to fight off some kind of beast while running at full speed.  I worked on that for a few days, and finally threw up my hands in defeat, and haven't been back to Skyrim in 4 years.  I don't think I was all that far into the game either.

Now, if a game stumps me, I go to one of those walkthroughs on Utube to see how it's done, and I'm so quick to resort to that method that I feel like an outright cheater.  One of the Drake's Fortune series has a wall walking vine swinging part that I could not do.  Oddly, I knew how to approach it, but I couldn't jump to a hand hold.  I went to a Utube walkthrough and watched them do it exactly like I was trying to do it.  Now, wall walking vine swinging is not a big deal in the series, once you learn it, it's just redundant, except for that one wall.  I switched to my backup controller and did it, and I could only do it by executing the jump after I had lost all my vine swinging momentum.  I think it was a game flaw.  By releasing the vine after you lost all your momentum, you actually traveled farther through the air.  The physics just seemed all wrong, especially since I had mastered and been doing those jumps all through two games by that time.

There's an element of frustration in most games, that makes them challenging and fun, but sometimes the bar is set a little higher than I would like it.

Mike Cl

If find that in some games I like the hardest setting right off the bat; in others, I have to go with the easiest.  With the Elder Scrolls games (Morrowind, Oblivian, Skyrim) I play the hardest from the start.  Same with the Fallout games--FO3, New Vegas and FO4.  But the game I just finished I had to go with the easiest settings from the start--and I never moved up in difficulty.  There were times when the game was very, very easy (which is okay with me) and then it would spike to so hard I'd want to quit.  I like a challenge, but not impossible.  I will tackle difficult places on my own for awhile and then go to utube to get some hints.  My main goal is to enjoy the game--and that can mean different things with different games.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on November 10, 2018, 07:55:21 AM
I didn't finish Skyrim either for similar reasons.  I got through the dragon part that I think you refer to. 

It is not a dragon part. Remember those walking dead warriors deep in dungeons? Draugrs. They come in several types. There are wights and the usual soldiers, but also small bosses and bosses; scrougers, deathlords, overlords...etc. They are powerful and they can throw powerful shouts too. Their quests are not all directly related to the main story, but those dungeons have the power words those are your shouts. As I played the dumb tank style some time in the game, I couldn't pass what I think was scrouger. He kept disarming me with the shout.     

QuoteIt was overly annoying in difficulty, but I did slay the dragon after so many tries that I was bored to death with the episode.

Well, I tried to kill the dragons with a stupid low level bow for a long time and it took ages. LOOOL I thought it was just that. Dragons are swooping in without warning ll the time when you are on something. They are everywhere after some point. With mods and high difficulty they don't come one by one, they actually get pretty crowded as I saw in some videos. 

I didn't think of looking into utube when I was first playing. Well after some time I did of course. Learned a lot. But I resist most of the time, esp. when new in a game.

Also in Sykrim, some opponents scale up to you as you go up, but some don't. Like a giant is 35 -not sure but as example- even if you are 1 or 50. They all have different levels. Some change, some don't I guess.   

QuoteThen I continued on and had several interesting experiences in fantasy castles, while meeting interesting townsfolk, but then I had to descend from the top of some mountain while having to fight off some kind of beast while running at full speed. I worked on that for a few days, and finally threw up my hands in defeat, and haven't been back to Skyrim in 4 years.  I don't think I was all that far into the game either.

Do you remember what kind of a beast? May be something I haven't face up to in the game.

QuoteNow, if a game stumps me, I go to one of those walkthroughs on Utube to see how it's done, and I'm so quick to resort to that method that I feel like an outright cheater.

Yeah so do I, lol.

The first difficulty for me in this game that I got lost so easily and so often...oh my god. Playing it actually improved my negative sense of direction a bit. Seriously. Ahah, it was a comedy show more than gaming the first time around. :)

I refused to finished Skyrim for a long time. The end of the story didn't mean much to me. I started over and over again. One of my steam buddies asked me what I have been doing all that time in the game. He sees what I am doing. LOL

QuoteOne of the Drake's Fortune series has a wall walking vine swinging part that I could not do.  Oddly, I knew how to approach it, but I couldn't jump to a hand hold.  I went to a Utube walkthrough and watched them do it exactly like I was trying to do it.  Now, wall walking vine swinging is not a big deal in the series, once you learn it, it's just redundant, except for that one wall. I switched to my backup controller and did it, and I could only do it by executing the jump after I had lost all my vine swinging momentum.  I think it was a game flaw.  By releasing the vine after you lost all your momentum, you actually traveled farther through the air.  The physics just seemed all wrong, especially since I had mastered and been doing those jumps all through two games by that time.

There's an element of frustration in most games, that makes them challenging and fun, but sometimes the bar is set a little higher than I would like it.

I don't exactly know what you are talking about, but it might not be a game flaw. There is always a far reaching point in a combination of that sort of action. It's put there for a challenge as you said it. Sometimes it's not logical either.

For example, the fist fighting in Witcher 2?! Ffs which silly, crazy gamer made it I'd like to now. How many people have that reflex response time in the world? Apparently there is a mod to delay it, but with my crawling, low win 7, Nexus doesn't budge. A lot to do for one mod. And as I can't pass the fight, I can't play it. Trust me, Geralt have never been that much and repeatedly knocked out so easily in his entire existence. I'm usually fine with fist fghts. Wicther 3, it is OK.   

I am sure you have watched the kids playing these games, how they move, climb is unbelivable. But they develop the kind of mouse,keyboard-pad play when they are toddlers. Not after 35 as I did. Also it is some sort of a talent. While playing Styx: Master of Shadows I figured subtle is dificult to me. My first stealth. You are a goblin, no match for humans so you need to jump, crawl, climb, move and kill, do everything stealth mode. LOOL There was a climbing jumping point similar to what you describe. Took me ages. Didn't make any sense too. Or I was frustrated I dunno. And weirdly, sometimes I can't do the stuff I often did before, some time after when playing again.

I have Assasins C II, trying to play from pc was so difficult I dropped. My hands are small too. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 10, 2018, 09:03:30 AM
It is not a dragon part. Remember those walking dead warriors deep in dungeons? Draugrs.
It's been too long ago to remember.  I may not have got that far.

Do you remember what kind of a beast? May be something I haven't face up to in the game.
Again, too long ago.  I can't remember if it was some kind of fantasy beast or a real beast like a bear

I don't exactly know what you are talking about, but it might not be a game flaw. There is always a far reaching point in a combination of that sort of action. It's put there for a challenge as you said it. Sometimes it's not logical either.
I think it's a flaw, but maybe the way I react in eye hand coordination doesn't respond to the visual cues correctly.  Although, I get the swing and release right 9 times out of ten or better. 

For example, the fist fighting in Witcher 2?! Ffs which silly, crazy gamer made it I'd like to now. How many people have that reflex response time in the world? Apparently there is a mod to delay it, but with my crawling, low win 7, Nexus doesn't budge. A lot to do for one mod. And as I can't pass the fight, I can't play it. Trust me, Geralt have never been that much and repeatedly knocked out so easily in his entire existence. I'm usually fine with fist fghts. Wicther 3, it is OK.
The manufacturer, Naughty Dog, throws a lot of wild curves.  Some fast reaction sequences require an immediate and specific sequence of controller buttons to press.  At first you respond instinctively, and get clobbered.  After several failed attempts you will notice in the corner of the screen a flash of a triangle, followed by a square.  You missed them before because they appear for less than 1/10 of a second.  You have to sacrifice a few fails while you learn the correct order.  Push those buttons quickly in the correct order, and time it perfectly (what play station considers perfect and what I do, don't often coincide), and you can finally kill the Boss.  And in once case, it actually gives the wrong prompt.  It demands a square button, when in fact it requires a circle.  It took me forever to figure that one out.

I am sure you have watched the kids playing these games, how they move, climb is unbelivable.
I hate them.  One of my pet peeves is the way a kid trys to help you learn.  He says, "Here. Watch.  I'll show you how."  Then he kills 5 bosses in 2 seconds with his fingers flying all over the place, as you stand there like an idiot.  It's like learning how to type 150 words a minute, by watching someone else do it.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on November 10, 2018, 09:38:43 AM
I think it's a flaw, but maybe the way I react in eye hand coordination doesn't respond to the visual cues correctly.  Although, I get the swing and release right 9 times out of ten or better.

Ah may be that could be different.

QuoteThe manufacturer, Naughty Dog, throws a lot of wild curves.  Some fast reaction sequences require an immediate and specific sequence of controller buttons to press.  At first you respond instinctively, and get clobbered.  After several failed attempts you will notice in the corner of the screen a flash of a triangle, followed by a square.  You missed them before because they appear for less than 1/10 of a second.  You have to sacrifice a few fails while you learn the correct order.  Push those buttons quickly in the correct order, and time it perfectly (what play station considers perfect and what I do, don't often coincide), and you can finally kill the Boss.  And in once case, it actually gives the wrong prompt.  It demands a square button, when in fact it requires a circle.  It took me forever to figure that one out.

Yeah, well I am not that fast,lol. I doubt, I'll ever be. Exactly like you described, I do hit but timing sucks. Fe fails, lol, I got cramps in my hands.   

QuoteI hate them. One of my pet peeves is the way a kid trys to help you learn.  He says, "Here. Watch.  I'll show you how."  Then he kills 5 bosses in 2 seconds with his fingers flying all over the place, as you stand there like an idiot.  It's like learning how to type 150 words a minute, by watching someone else do it.

Hahaah. Yeah I hear ya! :) I have a few kids over here exactly like that. They also get iritated that I play a game so long, slowly, walking-going around. Picking up flowers, dropping everything doing something silly non game related. And not getting new more action packed games of course. 'You play like such an auntie', I go 'I am an auntie!' LOL   

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 10, 2018, 07:05:43 AM

I don't think I can play Witcher in death march, but yeah easy mode is a put off.
I've only noticed two differences with Death March difficulty compared to easy mode:

• Enemies have more health and take a little longer to kill because of that.
  • Meditating doesn't heal you.
Even on easy mode you can't take a lot of hits. So as long as you're dodging and blocking like you're supposed to, the jump in difficulty is quite small.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on November 10, 2018, 01:25:36 PM
I've only noticed two differences with Death March difficulty compared to easy mode:

• Enemies have more health and take a little longer to kill because of that.
  • Meditating doesn't heal you.
Even on easy mode you can't take a lot of hits. So as long as you're dodging and blocking like you're supposed to, the jump in difficulty is quite small.

Are you sure? I think that is your mouse talking. I can't play almost zero damage take kinda combat, lol. Did you try that with a fiend or an insectoid, dragonoid...etc Insectoids esp in the last expansion.   

If I am not mistaken, meditating doesn't heal you when you reach a certain level in low difficulties either. Not sure though.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 10, 2018, 02:26:01 PM
Are you sure? I think that is your mouse talking. I can't play almost zero damage take kinda combat, lol. Did you try that with a fiend or an insectoid, dragonoid...etc Insectoids esp in the last expansion.   

If I am not mistaken, meditating doesn't heal you when you reach a certain level in low difficulties either. Not sure though.
I remapped my keys so that dodge was on spacebar and roll was on left-ALT (it’s the other way around by default). I pretty much hold down my block button and constantly dodge until I’m ready to hit something. If it’s a large target then I use a thunderbolt potion for good measure. I usually get hit at least once, but I always throw up a quen shield right before going into a melee so that usually doesn’t matter. On the rare occasion that I do take damage, a combination of food and swallow fixes that almost instantly. I only die when encountering new enemies, and stop dying once I know their patterns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk