News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on October 20, 2018, 07:13:40 AM
As a rule, I avoid role playing games, but who decides which genre a game belongs in?  Is there some gaming pedant that has that job?  My first choice is first person shooters.  But I've always been confused about what an RPG is.  So I googled this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8gNq7srnqA
Which is of no help at all, because while this guy is explaining what an RPG is, his explanation also describes what an FPS is.  So I'm right back to where I started still wondering what the difference between the two are.  When I think about it, all video games are role playing games.  OK, there are some exceptions.  Pong is not role playing, but when you pay $59 for a new game, 99% of the time, you are about to immerse yourself in some kind of role.  I have 23 PS3 games in my personal library.  Each one puts me in a role, usually a specific role.  If I want to play fast and loose with semantics, I might make an exception on the game called Rapala Pro Bass Fishing, but even then, I'm supposed to be a pro bass fisherman.  That's a role.  Same for Tiger Woods: PGA Tour.  That's a role.  In real life, I'm not a professional golfer.  I mean I really suck at golf, and I have the credentials to prove it.
When I search Steam for a new game I use RPG and FPS and sandbox to start.  The two have blurred together now.  Used to be RPG was a dungeon crawler and a FPS was a Doom type.  But not any more.  FO 4 is labeled a FPS by many and it can be used in that way if you want to.  And it is labeled as a RPG by some and you can use it that way if you want to.  Most seem to label it as a RPG/FPS tho--actually, the only criteria that matters most is if I like it or not.  And a huge problem for me is just that--will I like it.  I should love the hell out of The Witcher.  So, I bought it and started in.  But there is something about that game that I don't like--don't even know what it is, exactly.  But I spent a couple of hours on it and never went back.  Go figure--it is acclaimed by one and all as a classic RPG/FPS and it probably is.   It does take me quite some time to take the plunge on a new game.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 20, 2018, 08:54:00 AM
I have no idea. If it is about the role in the story, is Witcher less rpg than Elder Scrolls because while the former is the story of a specific character, in the latter the hero is whatever the player wants to be as a race or gender; anything he can imagine himself in? Story doesn't change. 

This is more about a psychological profile of a person if you ask me. Because when we say 'role' it is very personal. Everybody percieves the games differently, doesn't matter how standardised they are. I can say for myself that a certain theme is the one I want to have as a world if it is a rpg. I don't try to play them in death march too, I don't think I can either. I don't get pleasure from modern warfare. Shooting someone or killing things with any kind of modern weaponry is very dull for me. Realistic or not. I played Quake 2 a bit, but then it was something new. There were nothing much like it then. I didn't get anything from Counter Strike or its kind. So that role doesn't work for me. In general modern world, modern warfare is boring to me. But I have been told that there are many games out there with modern, future high tech themes of this sort I would love if I tried.

I think I want to be sold on the story -doesn't matter how silly- of an old world, theme...atmosphere. And that is 'the role' for me if it makes sense. Skyrim works for me all the time, because it is a bit kinda 'going out'. The snow. I love witcher because it's like going into a movie. I've never felt a need to play with a female character or a character I can create. Without Geralt, probably it wouldn't mean much to me.

On the other hand, when I look at my very little gaming history, the first game I have played in my life ( 8 yo) was space commanders, lol. Remember? River Raid, Prince of Persia...etc I have played Dune 2000 and Red Alert like mad. But the ones most I played as a kid would be Civ II and Heroes of Might an Magic III. Esp. Heroes, how much I loved that game. After that historic sierra sims and I still play Phaorah time to time. But never a modern sim city stuff. I got Skylines this summer and as I expected, didn't get much out of it. Exactly like how much I love Dawn of Discovery, but don't get much from the future themed ones. Also I never played civ again, but I can play Heroes any time.

All I need is a sword and a bow, a fire pit and stone houses I am happy. I don't even customise a character when it is available, I just choose the basic. Lol, OK I am boring too, but I really can't even stand mages in classic games, let alone those new generation bellydancer looking characters male or female or huge weaponed cartoon ones. Don't you guys too feel like slicing them down instantly?

Whenever I decide to play a game differently, I end up the same style. I haven't managed to play a around of Skyrim by using some magic yet. Or a Witcher heavier at the signs and potions side. 

What's my play, what's my role, what is my fantasy? What is it that a these few games are giving to me, but others don't. I have no idea. The only conclusion I can arrive to is that I am sick of the modern, real world and want to see some blood old fashioned way? :p
I grew up playing board games.  Video wasn't even a word then. :)  Risk, Clue, Careers, Tactics II, Gettsyburg, D-Day and chess were my favs.  And card games of all kinds.  Then, as a young adult I dabbled in D & D and even found some solo dungeons then.  Also moved up to AH war games at that time.  When computers showed up I played the silly games that showed up.  Game systems also featured all sorts of games, but no RPG or even close then.  My first computer game that really grabbed me was Morrowind and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!  I've been hooked ever since.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

I don't know why I get into some games more than others.  I've bought games that came with good user reviews that left me flat, and a couple that seemed just plain dumb.  On the other hand, zombies as silly as the whole zombie mythos goes, seemed to entertain me to no end in The Last of Us.  So my interest isn't necessarily dependent on realism, except when it comes to scenery.  I'm enthralled by some of the realistic environments in some games.  I could spend hours just exploring Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption, without even playing a mission.  I love big sandbox environments, where you can find new things even a few years later.  The first Mafia game was like that.  Drive, walk, take a bus, or ride the local transit while Benny Goodman furnishes the background music.  Subsequent Mafia games seemed like they just didn't want to put the work into them they had put in for the first.  The first Mafia game had an episode where you had to drive one of those 1930 type race cars in a race around a scenic grand prix type track.  You had to win the race before you could go on in the game, and it was hard having to learn the track and the sweet spots in the controls.  It took forever to master, but it was the best race experience I've played, even compared to 4 other dedicated driving games I've bought.  And Mafia wasn't even about racing.  It was just one spectacular mission thrown into the mix of the usual types of assignments.

drunkenshoe

Yes, me too. Or sometimes even though you like a game very much, you never play one aspect of it. Or you don't care about a lot of things doesn't matter how silly.

But in some themes reality makes the game much more addictive I guess. I was reading posts in the gaming section of a huge board here. Red Dead Redemption II is coming out in a few days and the fans have gone crazy about it. There are people who have been making arrangements, so they could play it uninterrupted for a week or more. Like taking vacation time, making plans with spouses and significant others just before, so they wouldn't complain about it later. And the whole discussion, hype is about the reality of the game.

In my opinion, people love realistic approach specificly in that theme, because it is a real period in history somewhere with its own culture. It seems to me that we seek a realistic representation in a game that reflects something we have an idea or impression in the real world. Or at least some aspects that reflect the reality.

I think like around 10 years ago, I am at a friend's. Her husband is playing a game. I am not even paying attention. In a fraction of a second, I have seen a part of what I thought the Dome in Florence on the screen. I was like 'Whoa stop, back up. What are you playing?' It's freaking renaissance architecture. Well, it is my field. Even though I have never actually played the game, I never forgot about it and years later I bought it just to go around. Because doesn't matter what they put in the game, how realistic it was or not, they managed to give the 'idea' of it very successfully. Something I have a solid impression and idea about. Also those days at the university, I was giving a class on renaissance under my prof. (As an occassional practice in education, not professionally.) It's a main subject. LOL I wanted to bring the game to the class. It was a very good material then.

Same thing, why I am excited about Ancient Cities, even in a different way. Those kind of games get better for me the more they get 'realistic'. But in others I am not expecting that I guess. 

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 20, 2018, 09:38:40 AM
I grew up playing board games.  Video wasn't even a word then. :)  Risk, Clue, Careers, Tactics II, Gettsyburg, D-Day and chess were my favs.  And card games of all kinds.  Then, as a young adult I dabbled in D & D and even found some solo dungeons then.  Also moved up to AH war games at that time.  When computers showed up I played the silly games that showed up.  Game systems also featured all sorts of games, but no RPG or even close then.  My first computer game that really grabbed me was Morrowind and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!!  I've been hooked ever since.

Well, I haven't played board games as a kid. Ocassionally maybe. Taboo, monopoly...etc. My father taught us chess as a kid, but we didn't play. I'd like to learn about Go. Chess is not for me. When I was a kid D&D was the rage, but never got into it. I have wateched many games though.

But now there are many different, good games. The last one I played was Settlers in 2013, in the States. American friends took me as an apprentice level 0 when they were playing. Lol, I bet that was boring, but I enjoyed it very much. I haven't got into it yet. I should. But I need to find people to play with then. Pffft long way to go.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 21, 2018, 04:29:40 AM
Well, I haven't played board games as a kid. Ocassionally maybe. Taboo, monopoly...etc. My father taught us chess as a kid, but we didn't play. I'd like to learn about Go. Chess is not for me. When I was a kid D&D was the rage, but never got into it. I have wateched many games though.

But now there are many different, good games. The last one I played was Settlers in 2013, in the States. American friends took me as an apprentice level 0 when they were playing. Lol, I bet that was boring, but I enjoyed it very much. I haven't got into it yet. I should. But I need to find people to play with then. Pffft long way to go.

My daughter played the very popular "Oregon Trail" when she was little.  Even schools used it here.

BTW - Renaissance architecture ... did you see the Youtube of the team of bricklayers who reverse engineered the Duomo dome?

Great Cathedral Mystery (PBS).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on October 21, 2018, 09:25:02 AM
My daughter played the very popular "Oregon Trail" when she was little.  Even schools used it here.

BTW - Renaissance architecture ... did you see the Youtube of the team of bricklayers who reverse engineered the Duomo dome?

Great Cathedral Mystery (PBS).

I don't know about Oregon Trail, what kind of a game is it? Educational or they just used that way?

No, I haven't seen that one. LOL sounds like pain in the asss.

PS 'duomo dome' is a silly thing to write. it is 'dome dome'. It's Duomo Firenze. Or the name of the cathedral with 'dome'. :)

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 21, 2018, 04:29:40 AM

I don't play board games since it is too difficult to find others who want to play them.  The exception is my wife and I will play boggle and scrabble.  If I get a yen to play a board game I can usually find one on the net.  I've played risk that way and of course, scrabble.  Now I play basically, solo on my computer.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 21, 2018, 10:51:56 AM
I don't know about Oregon Trail, what kind of a game is it? Educational or they just used that way?

No, I haven't seen that one. LOL sounds like pain in the asss.

PS 'duomo dome' is a silly thing to write. it is 'dome dome'. It's Duomo Firenze. Or the name of the cathedral with 'dome'. :)

It was a role playing game, getting outfitted in St Joseph Missouri, going up the Oregon Trail in the 1840s, surviving long enough to get to Salem Oregon.  Pretty hard game.  You can hunt and fish and learn about herbal remedies (no doctors available).  My daughter liked fishing, but the hunting part was hard, she often ricocheted and wounded herself.  And there were parts of the trail that were death prone (how do you get down a steep slope in bad weather with no roads and no winch without trashing your wagon.  That and minding your stores so you don't starve.

Great Cathedral Mystery shows how practical tradesmen can contribute to history, you don't have to have a PhD.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 21, 2018, 12:20:01 PM
I don't play board games since it is too difficult to find others who want to play them.
I know right?  And it gets harder the more specific your tastes get.  You might find a group for Monopoly or Risk, but good luck finding someone who wants to play 7th Continent or Gloomhaven.

Sure, let me just make 3 friends who all have the same interests and work schedules as me, and are close enough geographically to meet to have a two-hour sit-down experience semi-regularly for years.  Yeah, that'll happen.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 21, 2018, 11:48:27 PM
I know right?  And it gets harder the more specific your tastes get.  You might find a group for Monopoly or Risk, but good luck finding someone who wants to play 7th Continent or Gloomhaven.

Sure, let me just make 3 friends who all have the same interests and work schedules as me, and are close enough geographically to meet to have a two-hour sit-down experience semi-regularly for years.  Yeah, that'll happen.
Exactly!  The problem is that board games like Monopoly and even Risk after awhile become boring quickly.  I love war games with hundreds of pieces and takes hours to play.  Not much of a chance to find anybody else who does in my area. 

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 21, 2018, 11:52:19 PMExactly!  The problem is that board games like Monopoly and even Risk after awhile become boring quickly.
It's the curse of the least common denominator!

You have to have something that appeals to everyone to even hit critical mass and have enough people to play anything at all.  But whatever appeals to everyone is something you've likely experienced a gajillion times, so it's boring.

The solution is simple, find something new and exciting.  Really shake things up.  Plot twist - suddenly, a lot less people want to play.  Not enough players, no game.

And a big part of that is people not investing the time in learning something new.  Well, if you're bored with the same ol' same old, but you won't participate in anything new, then who's really to blame for your boredom?

Hydra009

P.S. - the Curse of the Least Common Denominator is the reason why pizza parties all feature boring pepperoni and plain pizza (or god forbid, just plain pizza) even though almost everyone would prefer something else.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 22, 2018, 12:09:41 AM
P.S. - the Curse of the Least Common Denominator is the reason why pizza parties all feature boring pepperoni and plain pizza (or god forbid, just plain pizza) even though almost everyone would prefer something else.

Try chicken and spinach with alfredo sauce. It's always the first to go when I get it. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 21, 2018, 11:52:19 PM
Exactly!  The problem is that board games like Monopoly and even Risk after awhile become boring quickly.  I love war games with hundreds of pieces and takes hours to play.  Not much of a chance to find anybody else who does in my area. 
When I was a kid, my friends and I used to play Monopoly all the time.  It was a different era.  Today's diversions didn't exist.  But it was totally unusual to finish a game of Monopoly.  It was fun to play, but boring to finish.  Just after I retired, I babysat a sick kid, whose mother had to go to work.  He decided he would like to play Monopoly, so we got out the board.  We played for perhaps 15 minutes until he said he was tired of playing, and it all came back to me.

Other board games were usually played to conclusion.  Monopoly may have been by far the most fun, but was seldom finished.  Once a player had all the property on the last 10 squares, a slow and inevitable decline into bankruptcy begins, and it makes more sense to give up than finish.  I heard a rumor once that some guy, somewhere, from some unnamed location, was almost bankrupt, and his opponent owned everything from Baltic Avenue to Boardwalk, but he kept playing and his luck changed, and he was able to win the game.

I didn't believe it.  I think I may have pretended to believe it with an, "Oh yeah?  Really?  That's very interesting," but I didn't believe it, not one word of it.