Author Topic: Any gamers around here?  (Read 221480 times)

Offline Hydra009

Re: Any gamers around here?
« Reply #2760 on: October 12, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »
I do kinda like getting achievements that <1% of other players got.  It makes me feel elite.  Other than that, it's pretty pointless.

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #2761 on: October 12, 2018, 12:42:41 PM »
And while I'm on the subject, achievements aren't really there for YOU, the player.  They exist primarily for the benefit of the devs/publisher.

1)  It keeps people playing the game longer.  Some people are completionists.  They absolutely have to get every achievement possible.  Well, achievements give people a reason to keep playing the game.  Why do they care if you play the game for 5 hours or 5 months or 5 years?  They already got your money.  Because player engagement is something that these companies care about and it absolutely factors into pitching the next game.

2) It helps them track player activities.  How do devs know if their DLC fell flat?  If practically no one unlocked any of the DLC achievements.  How do they know if players don't like a specific faction?  If practically no one got the "Win with Faction X" achievement.  ETC.  The Telltale games are all set up to generate an inescapable breadcrumb trail of achievements whose sole purpose seems to be tracking how far you got through the game.

This isn't to say achievements are all bad - some achievements are legit accomplishments (no death runs, pacifist runs, or I dunno, beating Sniper Elite solely with a Krummlauf) but most achievements (yay, you logged in!) are garbage.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:46:48 PM by Hydra009 »

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #2762 on: October 14, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And while I'm on the subject, achievements aren't really there for YOU, the player.  They exist primarily for the benefit of the devs/publisher.

1)  It keeps people playing the game longer.  Some people are completionists.  They absolutely have to get every achievement possible.  Well, achievements give people a reason to keep playing the game.  Why do they care if you play the game for 5 hours or 5 months or 5 years?  They already got your money.  Because player engagement is something that these companies care about and it absolutely factors into pitching the next game.

2) It helps them track player activities.  How do devs know if their DLC fell flat?  If practically no one unlocked any of the DLC achievements.  How do they know if players don't like a specific faction?  If practically no one got the "Win with Faction X" achievement.  ETC.  The Telltale games are all set up to generate an inescapable breadcrumb trail of achievements whose sole purpose seems to be tracking how far you got through the game.

This isn't to say achievements are all bad - some achievements are legit accomplishments (no death runs, pacifist runs, or I dunno, beating Sniper Elite solely with a Krummlauf) but most achievements (yay, you logged in!) are garbage.

I play games to figure out how to win of best other players.  I play a few just to compete with myself.  I hate games that disappear when computers change.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

« Reply #2763 on: Today at 01:11:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There's also the unconscious affect seeing an achievement has on the player. When that pop up appears on screen, it triggers the release of endorphins in the brain because it tricks you into thinking you've accomplished something worth celebrating. That, of course, results in a more positive experience. It's also manipulative, because it motivates the player to hunt after those achievements. The reason achievements are often plentiful early on and more difficult to get towards the end is that the developers are trying to form a sort of addictive habit.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #2764 on: Today at 08:05:09 AM »
I bought Age of Empires 2 HD edition 2 days ago from the Steam store.

I've been watching a lot of online games from the T90Official channel, and I must say, the pro players must be quite good players with a lot of micromanagement, seeing how well they're able to get an economy on its feet so quickly all the while directing units on the fly. I'm very slow compared to even normal players.

Currently I've done the tutorial with Wallace, and the first few missions with Joan of Arc. I probably won't do online games until after I'm at least able to defeat a 1v1 vs a hard AI. I did a small map with an easiest AI and it was way too easy. It did have good defence at its own base, but it only sent like 2 or 3 units at a time at my base, which was easy to counter, plus its economy was way behind mine even though I played quite inefficiently.

I used to own AoE2 back in the day, and I didn't complete all the campaigns because they were so difficult back then. I'm probably even slower nowadays. Dunno why I even bought it again, I guess watching all those vids on YouTube had an impact.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk