News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Also, the Vaulters have super bad voice acting.  It's like they sat an intern with a speech impediment down next to a teddy ruxpin, hit record, and then converted the resulting cassette to digital format.

Everything else about the Vaulters is awesomesauce except for the voiceacting.

_Xenu_

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 11, 2018, 09:17:38 PM
Don’t use Mac.
In all fairness, Windows compatibility mode doesn't work well for games either. Its better to make a virtual machine in either Mac or Windows.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

GrinningYMIR

There’s a reason I’ve kept my old XP machine around. Though some games that ran on windows 95 still run fine on my windows 10 stuff, even though I’m currently. Computerless
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Cavebear

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 11, 2018, 09:17:38 PM
Don’t use Mac.

Like the blue screen of death and the spinning hourglass is helpful?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GrinningYMIR

When was the last time you used a PC? 1991? It’s more stable and actually runs the games. If you wanna play cub 2, then boy an old XP or windows 98 machine or the software and download it onto any machine you want. Mine never crashes and runs it just fine. And it’s from 1998. My “newer one” was from first year release of xp.

If you like gaming you don’t use Mac, no personal attack. But everything is written with windows, or Linux, in mind especially older games. Higher market share and more stability. Even with the crashes which again I don’t be have trouble with, not with classic games not connected to the internet.

Xenu  is right about virtual machine however this isn’t something that’s necessarily easy to do if you don’t know what you’re doing and it isn’t particularly stable. Usually it requires Dosbox or something similar.

If you’re happier with a Mac fine, but that’s why you crash all the time. And that’s why the Mac server never killed the dreamer on EQ, Classic Macs were NOT stable with most games because most games weren’t written with Mac software in mind.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Cavebear

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 13, 2018, 08:27:53 AM
When was the last time you used a PC? 1991? It’s more stable and actually runs the games. If you wanna play cub 2, then boy an old XP or windows 98 machine or the software and download it onto any machine you want. Mine never crashes and runs it just fine. And it’s from 1998. My “newer one” was from first year release of xp.

If you like gaming you don’t use Mac, no personal attack. But everything is written with windows, or Linux, in mind especially older games. Higher market share and more stability. Even with the crashes which again I don’t be have trouble with, not with classic games not connected to the internet.

Xenu  is right about virtual machine however this isn’t something that’s necessarily easy to do if you don’t know what you’re doing and it isn’t particularly stable. Usually it requires Dosbox or something similar.

If you’re happier with a Mac fine, but that’s why you crash all the time. And that’s why the Mac server never killed the dreamer on EQ, Classic Macs were NOT stable with most games because most games weren’t written with Mac software in mind.

You forget the "blue screen of death" and the endless turning hourglass.  I'm on a Mac.  Neither ever happens.  And if you switch to a Mac, you will LOVE "FINDER"!

GrinningYMIR

I never Get either of those issues. Not even on my old machines.

I jsed A Mac, for a long while. Never my main but I used it. Not impressed.

Cavebear

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 13, 2018, 09:04:28 AM
I never Get either of those issues. Not even on my old machines.

I jsed A Mac, for a long while. Never my main but I used it. Not impressed.

You must not have pushed your Windows PC very hard, LOL!

GrinningYMIR

If your pc is being pushed hard to play Civ 2 that sounds like you’re using an ancient machine. Bottom line is if you want to play it stable use PC, if you want to stay Mac then expect it to crash and burn often.

Cavebear

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on July 13, 2018, 09:10:26 AM
If your pc is being pushed hard to play Civ 2 that sounds like you’re using an ancient machine. Bottom line is if you want to play it stable use PC, if you want to stay Mac then expect it to crash and burn often.

You've GOT to be kidding.  Macs never "crash and burn".  I bought a new Windows PC and the first thing it did was give me the turning hourglass and then the "blue screen of death" and I didn't even have anything loaded on it yet.

Hydra009

*reading the above exchange and having several WTF moments*

1) Civ II was written to run on Windows and MacOS.  Yes, it might have difficulty running on newer machines, but there are emulation options available or you can just run it on an ancient machine.  Either way, find a solution so we don't have to keep hearing about it.

2) Both Windows and Mac run relatively smoothly for *most* tasks.  Windows obviously has a bigger video game library so most games naturally run more smoothly on a PC running Windows.

Both Windows and Mac can and do crash, though the causes for that vary wildly depending on what you're trying to do with it and what hardware you're working with.  Faulty hardware = more crashes, poorly configured or poorly compatible programs = more crashes, etc.

3) The Windows hourglass wait cursor was last seen in Windows XP, which was released in 2001, 17 years ago.  That tells me that you haven't touched a Windows PC in a very long time and therefore couldn't possibly gauge how well they run.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 13, 2018, 10:32:14 AM
*reading the above exchange and having several WTF moments*

1) Civ II was written to run on Windows and MacOS.  Yes, it might have difficulty running on newer machines, but there are emulation options available or you can just run it on an ancient machine.  Either way, find a solution so we don't have to keep hearing about it.

2) Both Windows and Mac run relatively smoothly for *most* tasks.  Windows obviously has a bigger video game library so most games naturally run more smoothly on a PC running Windows.

Both Windows and Mac can and do crash, though the causes for that vary wildly depending on what you're trying to do with it and what hardware you're working with.  Faulty hardware = more crashes, poorly configured or poorly compatible programs = more crashes, etc.

3) The Windows hourglass wait cursor was last seen in Windows XP, which was released in 2001, 17 years ago.  That tells me that you haven't touched a Windows PC in a very long time and therefore couldn't possibly gauge how well they run.

That is quite interesting, and I thank you for that.  I indeed did leave Windows at about that time.  On the other hand, I bought a new Windows computer 3 years ago and found it discouragingly unmanageble compared to my 6 year old Mac Mini.  I didn't intent to start a Windows vs Mac war here (and still don't), but I find the Mac easier to organize files on, generally.  I expect Windows has some advantages I am no longer familiar with. 

I do think both must have some advantages of one or the other would not continue.  I personally LOVE Mac's Finder feature and the way I can organize folders so easily. 

I keep the new Windows on a separate table.  I use it for some specific (and offline) functions,  But it is a strugle every time I try to use it.  I won't bother you with details; you like it or you don't.

And I don't.  ;)

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2018, 12:28:11 PMI expect Windows has some advantages I am no longer familiar with.
Its main advantage is the larger library of programs (including video games) and extensive 3rd party hardware (the bottom line for consumers is more selection and lower prices)

I can either use the default windows file manager or, if I want, pick from a vast number of third party programs.  Almost everything can be customized (Internet Explorer bugged me in that it couldn't be easily removed)

And if I want to slot an AMD processor with an Nvidia graphics card and an ASUS motherboard, I can.

Apple has a much more limited selection with a notable reliance on proprietary products and reduced third-party support.

There are lots of other issues and controversies surrounding both companies (Windows 10 mandatory updates, business/tax practices, FUD, etc) that would take forever to fully address.  So it's not quite as cut-and-dry as it seems.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 13, 2018, 01:15:58 PM
Its main advantage is the larger library of programs (including video games) and extensive 3rd party hardware (the bottom line for consumers is more selection and lower prices)

I can either use the default windows file manager or, if I want, pick from a vast number of third party programs.  Almost everything can be customized (Internet Explorer bugged me in that it couldn't be easily removed)

And if I want to slot an AMD processor with an Nvidia graphics card and an ASUS motherboard, I can.

Apple has a much more limited selection with a notable reliance on proprietary products and reduced third-party support.

There are lots of other issues and controversies surrounding both companies (Windows 10 mandatory updates, business/tax practices, FUD, etc) that would take forever to fully address.  So it's not quite as cut-and-dry as it seems.

Well those are good points.  I use my desktop for limited functions.  I play a couple complicated strategic games, blog, answer email, type a few Word documents from time to time (and I mean WORD - I have Office for Mac).  But I have 10,000 pictures organized and the ones on the PC just don't work.

Hydra009

On honest reflection, a very large portion of my dislike of Apple has its basis in their marketing, which admittedly is an irrational reason to dislike the product itself.