News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

Steam usually works like a charm and easily, the amazon thing sounds like user error with a stupid employee habit no idea what he was talking about. Steam is just a virtual library combined with running software that you can use to play and buy games, and mod them.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mike Cl

Like Cavebear, I prefer CD's.  But in this town I cannot buy most of the CD's I want.  I remember when FO 4 first came out--I searched in my town (80,000), in two neighboring towns (200,000 in one and 500,000 in the other) and no CD.  So, I finally came to Steam.  I bought it from them and downloaded it.  I had very, very bad feelings about dealing with Steam.  But so far, not any real problems and now have over 50 games in the steam cloud.  And that is the only way I buy games now--the sales can be huge and have not had any problems--yet. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 13, 2018, 11:05:06 AMSo, I finally came to Steam.  I bought it from them and downloaded it.  I had very, very bad feelings about dealing with Steam.  But so far, not any real problems and now have over 50 games in the steam cloud.  And that is the only way I buy games now--the sales can be huge and have not had any problems--yet.
Same here.  I've heard that their customer service was bad, but I've never had an issue I needed to bring to their attention.

I'm kinda leery on the privacy side, but I'm the other hand, I actually want targetted ads.  Like XCOM?  Here's a game a lot like it.  Like Freelancer?  How about this game?

If I have to tell them what I'm into in order to get good recommendations, that's what I'll do.  Beats having to comb through thousands if not millions of crap games myself to get to the dozens I might enjoy.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 13, 2018, 04:35:39 PM
Same here.  I've heard that their customer service was bad, but I've never had an issue I needed to bring to their attention.

I'm kinda leery on the privacy side, but I'm the other hand, I actually want targetted ads.  Like XCOM?  Here's a game a lot like it.  Like Freelancer?  How about this game?

If I have to tell them what I'm into in order to get good recommendations, that's what I'll do.  Beats having to comb through thousands if not millions of crap games myself to get to the dozens I might enjoy.
I've only needed customer service once -- returning a game that was utterly unplayable -- and they were right on it with a no-fuss refund.

I don't like their recommendation system in the Steam Queue that pushes "popular" and "on sale" games over games that actually match my interests, but that's minor, really.  I've also found games I like in the Queue.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

I'm picky, so I've had a mixed record with the queue/recommendations.  Most of the time, it's a poor fit.  Every now and then, I see something that really captures my interest, but that's one in a hundred.

I like the curator system, but they have a tendency to over-recommend, so I get notifications like "PC Masterrace liked Quake 1"  That's cool and all, but not really relevant to me.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 13, 2018, 08:50:00 AM
I'm going to try to put this delicately.  Your software installation experiences are far from typical.

My experience is abnormal too in that my CD drive didn't work very well and I had a tendency to lose/damage discs or have them unknowingly borrowed from me.  Once Steam became popular, it was an easy switch.

Is is fine that we have different experiences site downloading vs CD uploading.  We both apparently have talents in one or the other.  For me, a CD never fails to work, but I have a top CD loader.  You are more experienced in downloads and I often have problems with them.

For example, when I downloaded Civ 5 from Amazon, nothing told me I needed Steam to do that.  That might have been obvious to you, but it wasn't to me.  It took an hour on the telephone at the help site to get to where they understood where I wasn't "getting it".  And when they said, "well you need Steam" I had never heard of it.

It all depends on what you have experience with.  Or not, LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

I looked up the Amazon link.  It just says "game code" but if you scroll down to the Q&A, it mentions Steam Client.  I can see how that'd be confusing for someone who doesn't already use Steam.  The seller seems to assume that the buyer is already familiar with steam, which is an unsafe assumption.

Hydra009

In World of Warships, my absolute favorite thing is to go full Klingon and blitz enemy ships - sinking one with overwhelming fire, crippling another, and ramming the third.  If everything goes as planned, my final torpedo salvo finishes off the crippled one, too.  :)

Cavebear

This will probably seem pathetic, but in Civ5, I would be really happy if I just had more control over my units.  As it is, sometimes I just click on one at the start of a turn and it wanders away before I can even do anything. 

Maddening.

So I'm a control freak.  I'd rather play Civ 2.  But I can't.  My old windows computer actually physically fell apart and the new one won't play it (32 bit vs 64 bit problem).  I'm gonna shred the info on the hard drive, bring it to the local PC repair store and ask for a perfectly working 32-bit PC fully loaded, even trade.

Cavebear

OK, so I'm playing Civ 5 and maybe starting to get the hang of it.  I've gotten 3 cities started and one is building a "monument", killed off 10 barbarian armies armies and 4 barbarian camps and have bowmen fortified on hills, workers gathering crops and working mines, and a trireme exploring the coasts of my area looking for paths out or in.  All the techs mean something diferent from Civ 2 and there are lots more

And it is hard as hell!  I got KILLED the 1st 5 games.  Still, as Manfred Mann said "But momma, that's where the fun is......"  Now I'm getting into it.  I'll beat this yet.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 24, 2018, 11:34:42 AM
OK, so I'm playing Civ 5 and maybe starting to get the hang of it.  I've gotten 3 cities started and one is building a "monument", killed off 10 barbarian armies armies and 4 barbarian camps and have bowmen fortified on hills, workers gathering crops and working mines, and a trireme exploring the coasts of my area looking for paths out or in.
Looks like you have the fundamentals down.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 24, 2018, 01:35:59 PM
Looks like you have the fundamentals down.

Its getting better.  I'm climbing in the demographics.    Now if only #1 and #2 unmet civs will kill each other, LOL!  But I have gotten really good at "Ranging Attacks".  I just hope that, by the time a bigger Civ finds me, I have cannons to attack frigates. 

Cavebear

It's 5:30 pm and I played 36 hours.  Just like with the original Civ 2 game.  And I've gotten about as far.  I'm not exactly winning, but I'm not exactly losing either.  I'm just in the mix at the lowest level.  Every game, I'll grind out a little more information.  It's like putting shredded paper back together.  The challenge is figuring out how the game really works.

Every time I get to "competence", I get bored and move on.  Mastery is for the obssessives.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on April 24, 2018, 05:42:01 PMEvery time I get to "competence", I get bored and move on.  Mastery is for the obssessives.
I love the mastery phase.  I'm not perfect by an stretch, and I could never hope to compete with the pro players, but I'm better than most players since I'm very knowledgeable and very skilled when I hit that phase.  It's in this phase that I start setting up challenges and start tinkering with the core gameplay.  I not only survive, but thrive, in inhospitable conditions.  Daring feats.  Memorable matches.

For Civ, I think that was bumping the difficulty with raging barbarians turned on.

Mike Cl

I call it the learning curve.  When it is too steep, I have a hard time motivating myself to keep at it.  If the curve is too shallow, then I lose interest.  But when a game has a hard, but do-able, curve I play on and on.  After I thrive on the regular level, I then max out all the levels I can, and then set up different challenges. I love the feeling of mastering the game mechanics.  But I do reach a place with all games that I do become   bored with the game.  Like Skyrim, I'll let the game rest for upwards of a year.  Then I go back and replay it, but with a slightly different slant on it.  It's sort of like a child who loves to go back (and back and back) to that favorite book.  It guess having a childlike mind helps in some instances. :)

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?