News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on March 05, 2018, 05:30:37 PM
OK, so I FINALLY downloaded Civ V last night  (they didn't tell me it took Steam) and I dont understand all the menus.  The music is annoying after 15 minutes and I can't see where to turn it off.  I have 1 city going and maybe a settler being built.  I know what to do with settlers.  Maybe the oddest change from Civ 2 is that it seems you can only have one military unit in a city. 

So how do I shut off the damned music and organize the menus?
What I did with the music is use headphones.  Then took them off and did not have to listen to it.  I found the best way to learn the game is to simply play.  And play the first game on 'tutorial' mode.  After a full play thru, it will then be much easier to plan ahead for the next game.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 05, 2018, 05:35:05 PM
What I did with the music is use headphones.  Then took them off and did not have to listen to it.  I found the best way to learn the game is to simply play.  And play the first game on 'tutorial' mode.  After a full play thru, it will then be much easier to plan ahead for the next game.

OK, yeah, shut the internal speakers off.  Play tutorial mode.

I didn't see "tutorial" mode, but I'll guess that is in set up somewhere.  If not, where?  I got assigned to a civ at log-in.  Aztecs, maybe.  I may disappear into this game for a month,  Baruch will be delighted.  Or lonely...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on March 05, 2018, 05:40:20 PM

I didn't see "tutorial" mode, but I'll guess that is in set up somewhere.  If not, where?  I got assigned to a civ at log-in.  Aztecs, maybe.  I may disappear into this game for a month,  Baruch will be delighted.  Or lonely...  LOL!
Google Civ5 guide or walkthrough.  Tons of pointers.  Just remember that the first game is not win but to learn the system.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 05, 2018, 05:40:20 PM

If you learn the lessons of smart predation, it will be worth it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

A big feature of Civ 5 is social policies.  Producing more culture increases the rate you get points to spend on social polices.

Q: "There are several ideologies to choose from, which one is best?"
A: Liberty, Aesthetics, Rationalism.  In that order.  Sometimes, certain conditions may change your priorities, but I'm telling ya, Liberty is where it's at!

Q: "Should I put all my points in one ideology or spread them around?"
A: You're almost always better off finishing the one you've started before moving on to the next one.  Sometimes you'll need to get a certain policy ASAP, then it's okay to split those precious points, but most of the time, you're going to want to finish the tree you're on first.

Q: "Have you even played Civ 5 recently?
A: NOPE!

Q:  "So this is half-remembered, probably obsolete advice?"
A: YEP!

Cavebear

I thank you all!  Civ V is very different from Civ II...  So I think I will let it play ME so I can understand what it is doing.  After all, the computer's strategy is probably a got place to start.  I'll let is show me some ideas and see what I want to change later.

I may just open it a few times searching for the control menus I have and seeing what they do.  It doesn't matter if it wins, so long as I am learning what is possible to do.

I thank everyone again...

Cavebear

Cavebear

I'm losing my mind on this.  There is no "next turn button" I can find.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on March 08, 2018, 09:01:48 AM
I'm losing my mind on this.  There is no "next turn button" I can find.
There should be at the bottom-right part of the screen.  A blue bar just above the minimap.

IIRC, you can't finish your turn if you have unfinished business like an unspent social policy point or idle cities/units.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 08, 2018, 10:43:50 AM
There should be at the bottom-right part of the screen.  A blue bar just above the minimap.

IIRC, you can't finish your turn if you have unfinished business like an unspent social policy point or idle cities/units.

Yes and thanks.  I am just understanding that part.  I watched a 10 minute video of advice just to find the "Next Turn spot.  And that wasn't in the tutorial.  And I also thank you for the part about having to move all units, etc.  I had not realized that. 

Am I the only one around who HASN'T played this game?  Even the lady at the Amazon Help desk has played it. 

I guess I stayed on Civ 2 WAY too long, LOL!

OK, right now, I am Queen Elizabeth with just London, 2 warriors and a Worker.  Good city location, a few techs and 2 Ruins I've gained from.  Trying to force-build a Settler, but I think I'm surrounded, so I want a Longbowman I think.  I captured a few Brutes, I think.  It is all a bit uncertain.

But that's how it was when I started Civ 2.  Nothing quite made sense then either but I got to Deity level even in multiplayer.

I may disappear into this game for a while...

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on March 08, 2018, 11:17:31 AM
Yes and thanks.  I am just understanding that part.  I watched a 10 minute video of advice just to find the "Next Turn spot.  And that wasn't in the tutorial.  And I also thank you for the part about having to move all units, etc.  I had not realized that. 

Am I the only one around who HASN'T played this game?  Even the lady at the Amazon Help desk has played it. 

I guess I stayed on Civ 2 WAY too long, LOL!

OK, right now, I am Queen Elizabeth with just London, 2 warriors and a Worker.  Good city location, a few techs and 2 Ruins I've gained from.  Trying to force-build a Settler, but I think I'm surrounded, so I want a Longbowman I think.  I captured a few Brutes, I think.  It is all a bit uncertain.

But that's how it was when I started Civ 2.  Nothing quite made sense then either but I got to Deity level even in multiplayer.

I may disappear into this game for a while...
Yes, Civ 5 can suck you in quite easily.  The good queen is a sea-faring lady, so aim at building her navy (good perks there) and be aware of where your coasts are at all times.  But they have good bowmen as well, so use them to stay safe.  And you do need a decent army so the other civs don't pick on you because you are weak.  At the beginning, barbarians love to chew on everybody, so you have to defend against them as well.  It really is a good game.  Enjoy!

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 08, 2018, 02:38:39 PM
Yes, Civ 5 can suck you in quite easily.  The good queen is a sea-faring lady, so aim at building her navy (good perks there) and be aware of where your coasts are at all times.  But they have good bowmen as well, so use them to stay safe.  And you do need a decent army so the other civs don't pick on you because you are weak.  At the beginning, barbarians love to chew on everybody, so you have to defend against them as well.  It really is a good game.  Enjoy!

Or maybe I won't.  The game is driving me crazy.  the menus are all in the way of the map, the terrain squares look too much alike., I can't get my units to move the direct I want, I can't really see the city squares, etc.  Its like Sid deliberately made the game worse just to be annoying!

Cavebear

There is supposed to be an end turn X in the upper right.  I can't find it.  I can't resize the sreen to get at it.  Do I just have a bad download?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 06:09:37 AM
There is supposed to be an end turn X in the upper right.  I can't find it.  I can't resize the sreen to get at it.  Do I just have a bad download?

Change screen aspect ratio?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 06:09:37 AMDo I just have a bad download?
On Steam?  Highly unlikely.

It's strange for someone to have such a hard time with the interface.  Usually, the tutorial helps clear that up.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 15, 2018, 03:10:15 PM
On Steam?  Highly unlikely.

It's strange for someone to have such a hard time with the interface.  Usually, the tutorial helps clear that up.

The tutorial merely referenced the upper right X button and didn't show it.  I can't find it.  I HAVE learned how to turn off pieces, so I can play, but I fall behind the other civs.  Still working on it though.  I'm nohting if not persistent.