Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

I’m playing battle brothers

Is doki worth watching or playing
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Blackleaf

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on December 27, 2017, 12:07:39 AM
I’m playing battle brothers

Is doki worth watching or playing

Doki Doki Literature Club is best experienced yourself. I recommend watching someone else play it afterwards. Then it feels more like you're in on a joke. Also, the game is available for free on Steam.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

trdsf

Been hitting Steam up lately.  Just picked up Hidden Folks.  I like a game without a timer so I can wander around on my own.  It's a simple enough game.  It's basically an animated Where's Waldo, except the search areas are vaster and the differences between everyone else and the characters you're looking for are smallerâ€"and sometimes you have to perform a few steps to reveal a character or object you're trying to find.  All the sound effects are (in the words of the website) "mouth-generated", which adds to the playful feel.  And the frustration factor is very low.  One doesn't often get to use the word 'charming' to describe a game, but it fits here.  Highly recommended for casual gaming.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

I have (nearly) finished Doki Doki Literature Club.  It's probably the creepiest damn thing I've ever experienced in my life.  I love it.

The first half was so cute and nice and easygoing that I got so swept up in that.  So when the nightmare fuel starts pumping, it's a hell of a shock.  I literally jumped out of my chair and I had a fair idea of what was coming.  Heaven help the poor people who play this without knowing what they're getting into.

This game is basically the tunnel scene from Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory stretched out over hours and hours.

Also, ӲપÑ"ð"¦ ð"²ð"¼ ð"Ÿð"¢ð"°ð"± â"¦â"â"˜â"•â"¤.���ð¡...Ÿð¤...Ÿð¨...Ÿð¤...Ÿð•...Ÿð˜...Ÿð...Ÿð¦...Ÿï¿½ ���ð¢...Ÿð"...Ÿð'...Ÿï¿½ ���ð˜...Ÿï¿½ ���ð¡...Ÿð¤...Ÿð¨...Ÿï¿½ḽ̸͙̐̿̃́Í...͙͕̮͕Í"͕̥̘o̵̽̊Í...Í"͇̰͍̯͕aÌ·Ì€Ì...Ì,,̆Í'̖̇d̵̚Í"̧̡̡̗̭̳̜̞ ̶͇͎̺͌͆͘m̴͐Í,͊́̿̀̀͆́̓͌Í,,Í,͍̟ẻ̵͠Ì'͆Ì"Ì€Ì...͖̥̳̺̗̓͠

Hydra009

Doki Doki update:

This game really touched me deeply, both the initial happy first act and the sad/disturbing second/third acts.  And I'm not an emotional guy, but jesus, this game really tore me up inside.  The first big disturbing scene hit me like a ton of bricks.  I physically couldn't continue and had to take a break to compose myself before resuming and finishing the game.

It wasn't long after that I had my first doki doki dream/nightmare.  A previously unknown high school character berated me, telling me that I could've saved them (cue a montage of intensely disturbing and graphic scenes, even a couple that weren't in the game) that I was too stupid and too selfish and that if I really focused and considered others' feelings above my own, I could change things for the better.  I even got the "okay" confirmation window in my dream.

So I stumbled across a guide for the good ending and I'm following it.  I'm actually most of the way done with it right now.

My only problem is that in order to do it, I have to go through *that* scene again.  You know the one.

I honestly don't know if I can stomach it a second time.  And I dunno how best to prepare myself for it.  Would I be better off reaching into the ether and channeling my positive emotions or looking inward and shutting down as much as I can and hunkering down for the emotional blow?

I just emotionally recovered from the last time and although I can take it, it's like opening a wound that had just finished healing, where the skin is still pink and raw.  But the joy of the good ending would be well worth it.  Maybe tomorrow.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 04, 2018, 10:52:28 PMMy only problem is that in order to do it, I have to go through *that* scene again.  You know the one.
Eh, ever since playing through Hate Plus I'm kinda desensitized to it. Sayori's scene was bad, but you'd spent maybe an hour with the character up until that point. In Hate Plus on *Mute's route, combined with the previous game you've spent multiple days with her, with nearly complete control over everything you say. If Doki had a gut-punch, Hate tears your goddamn heart out.

So I guess what I'm saying it: SUCK IT UP, YEH BIG BABY.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

Suggestions, please.

PC, six months old, pretty hot.

Favorite games, leftovers from college, AOE II and DOOM, Doom II, Doom III.

Please, don't suggest your favorite game just to suggest it.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 05, 2018, 04:26:25 PM
Suggestions, please.

Well, what kinds of games do you like? Do you like story-centered games or do you just care about gameplay? Do you like retro graphics, photorealistic graphics, or both? Are you into platformers, RPGs, shooters, "walking sims," fighting games?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 05, 2018, 09:45:22 AMEh, ever since playing through Hate Plus I'm kinda desensitized to it.
My problem is I really warmed up to the characters in Act I.  So when the crap hits the fan in Act II, I really do feel like I'm losing my friends.

I'm no stranger to violence and it usually doesn't bother me.  I watch shows that regularly off main characters, sometimes in brutal ways.  But it's expected in that genre, so I can weather it without much difficulty.  But the visual novel layout and cutesy music cause me to lower my guard.  And the combination of empathy, violence, haunting music, and jarring glitches really get to me.  I can handle any one of those things, but all of them combined just overwhelm me, break my cool, and send my imagination racing.

But today I have faced my fear, I have let it pass through me, and only my friends remain.  100% COMPLETION, TRUE ENDING!!!

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 05, 2018, 04:26:25 PM
Suggestions, please.

AoE III and Doom (2016)?

Without knowing what genres you're interested in, I wouldn't know what to suggest.  Are you interested exclusively in historical RTS?  Would a futuristic or fantasy RTS get your attention?  How about turn-based strategy?  Do you play the Doom series exclusively or would you be into other modern shooters?

Shiranu

Just got the Witcher 3 for my pc, goty edition... modded the hell out of the graphics... third time playing through, and I'm sure it won't be my last.

Also got Sleeping Dogs for my pc... one of the most underrated games in the two thousand teens imo. Amazing story, like playing an a old Hong Kong crime film. It's wonderful.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

So I am watching Devilman Crybaby and just seen episode 8. I'm having nightmares now.

Hijiri Byakuren

Been playing around with Dominions 5. Probably the only game I've ever played that has enough complexity and depth to pull off having dozens of truly unique factions.

The game is separated into three ages (Early, Middle, Late), with each age featuring a dozen or two playable nations. The age you pick determines the general state of magic and technology in the world: the Early Age has abundant and untamed magic with very little technology, the Late Age has scarce but refined magic with fairly advanced metallurgy, and the Middle Age is between those two extremes. And once you've picked your nation, you have to pick and customize your god...

The premise of the game is that at the start of each age, the Pantokrator (God) leaves the throne of heaven, and a number of Pretenders come forth to try and claim the throne. The Pretender who wins the Ascension War gets to be the new God, and the nation backing them up gets God's favor until the next age.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on December 28, 2017, 10:35:41 AM
Been hitting Steam up lately.  Just picked up Hidden Folks.  I like a game without a timer so I can wander around on my own.  It's a simple enough game.  It's basically an animated Where's Waldo, except the search areas are vaster and the differences between everyone else and the characters you're looking for are smallerâ€"and sometimes you have to perform a few steps to reveal a character or object you're trying to find.  All the sound effects are (in the words of the website) "mouth-generated", which adds to the playful feel.  And the frustration factor is very low.  One doesn't often get to use the word 'charming' to describe a game, but it fits here.  Highly recommended for casual gaming.

I've probably asked this before, and couldn't get the game on my Mac.  But I could hook the Windows PC to the router.  Where do I get that game?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!