News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

I've more or less settled down in a slightly modded Minecraft server which has an economy and level up system among other thingies. Vanilla is boring.

Munch

been playing cuphead. This is a very satisfying game, though I didn't exactly grow up knowing the classic animation era this game basis itself on, I really appreciate the unique artstyle, as well as the boss fights being challenging but something to overcome.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on November 10, 2017, 07:16:26 PM
been playing cuphead. This is a very satisfying game, though I didn't exactly grow up knowing the classic animation era this game basis itself on, I really appreciate the unique artstyle, as well as the boss fights being challenging but something to overcome.
I like watching playthroughs.  Cuphead is a perfect example of how people don't necessarily want super amazing graphics in their games, all they really want is great aesthetics (a pervasive, distinct art style) and decent gameplay.

So the next time you see someone praising a game's graphics, ask them if it's really the graphics (fidelity, number of polygons) they like or if it's really the aesthetics (the art style).

Munch

I think what it is, is that today, with the advancement of CGI, classic styles of animation is slowly disappearing from the market, with the exceptions of anime companies. Most western animation today is CGI, and as someone who grew up watching traditional animation styles, it is depressing not seeing as much of it today as back then.
Cuphead uses classical animation styles through computer graphic designs to make it seem like it is, and I hope this kind of method is used again.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

EA is really taking a pounding lately.  Apparently, their Star Wars DLC is a blatant cash-grab.  Color me shocked.

Hopefully, the outrage will prompt players to stop shelling out for overpriced DLC and preordering garbage.

Also, bear in mind that there's plenty of really good indie stuff out there!  You could shell out $60 for something you'll be disappointed by or purchase two $30 games that will blow your mind.  Look at ratings, not ads!

Shiranu

On an unrelated note, been really trying to play a marathon-speed (200% slower) game of civ 5, but man... mannnn...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on November 13, 2017, 06:49:51 PM
On an unrelated note, been really trying to play a marathon-speed (200% slower) game of civ 5, but man... mannnn...
That makes for loooooonng games.

I'm trying something similar on Endless Legend.  In that game, slow speeds make battles and quests way more of a factor in your faction's success since armies can travel the world and uncover ancient knowledge long before your main city really hits its stride.  I've always been weaker at eXplore and eXterminate than eXploit and eXpand, so slower games can be a real challenge.

Also, playing as factions I don't like (and arguably weaker) forces a certain amount of desperation-fueled novel strategies.

GrinningYMIR

I’ve been playing the wolfenstein games, though I am Looking forward to the classic wow servers being released, I will Have a ball with those. And Wolfenstein 2 was definitely worth the money, been a lot of fun achievement hunting in that. As for the rest of the year I’m lookkng forward to battlefront kinda but even with my employee discount I’m going to wait a bit.

I hate Gamestop
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mr.Obvious

I was okay with The first game of The wolfenstein reboot.
It was good. But most people i talked to seemed to give it more credit than it was due, imho.
It was good. It was fun. But i don't get what was 'amazing' about it.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 14, 2017, 11:55:32 AM
I was okay with The first game of The wolfenstein reboot.
It was good. But most people i talked to seemed to give it more credit than it was due, imho.
It was good. It was fun. But i don't get what was 'amazing' about it.

A shoot them up might be interesting (not my cup of tea - I prefer building games), but after playing shoot-them-up what do you do with the game?  Try a new one?  Building type games are never quite the same. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

I get obsessed with the dumbest damn games... so Steam put about 2/3 of my wishlist on sale and I bought a pile of 'em that were marked down to a buck or so.

The one I've been obsessing over (and over and over and over) is Turbo Dismount.  Take one floppy human.  Add vehicle(s).  Add obstruction(s).  Enjoy mayhem.

Meanwhile, I spent last week at Evil Twin's and his son spent almost the entire time playing Cuphead.  Beautiful game, beautiful animation, beautiful music, and I would ragequit it after about 30 seconds.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

wolf39us

Just got Outlast 2 as a gift.  Will be playing this thing pretty soon! 

More than likely will be spending more time on the pause menu though.

Cavebear

Which Civ game is most like Civ2?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on December 02, 2017, 04:11:50 AM
Which Civ game is most like Civ2?
civ 3.  The rest are a bit different.  I'd say that Civ V is the best of the bunch--but I have not played Civ VI yet, so that may be better.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 02, 2017, 08:34:19 AM
civ 3.  The rest are a bit different.  I'd say that Civ V is the best of the bunch--but I have not played Civ VI yet, so that may be better.

I played Civ3.  The "spheres of influence" drove me nuts.  I just want to master building something without the computer actively ruining my life.  So which Civ game is closest to that? 

And what about Forge of Empires?  I see the ads but am suspicious.