News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

I hooked up the PC to the net.  Skyrim suggested I need an xbox.  Can I play it on just a PC?  And how?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

why not just play skyrim on pc?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on August 09, 2017, 06:07:30 AM
why not just play skyrim on pc?

Well, that is what I TRIED to do.  But the download suggested Xbox and I couldn't find a way around it.  I thought there might be a rwason for that.   Is there a site I should log in at or download to just play?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 04:11:41 AM
I hooked up the PC to the net.  Skyrim suggested I need an xbox.  Can I play it on just a PC?  And how?

Eh? Where did you get the game from? Do you have a physical copy?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 07:32:18 AM
Well, that is what I TRIED to do.  But the download suggested Xbox and I couldn't find a way around it.  I thought there might be a rwason for that.   Is there a site I should log in at or download to just play?

Steam's probably the best place.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 04:11:41 AM
I have only a PC and believe it is the best platform to use.  As to how?  Beats me...................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 07:32:18 AM

I don't understand. If you downloaded it on your PC, it should be a PC version. You should only get that error if you put in an XBOX CD. But anyway, if you want to play Skyrim, you should get it on Steam. Steam is the place where most games for PC are sold. They also have some really good deals during the Summer sale. But remember, there are two versions on there. Regular Skyrim and the Special Edition. Personally, I would recommend the newer Special Edition, despite it lacking the Script Extender and SkyUI tools for modding. I expect you probably won't be going crazy with the mods. Send me a PM with your Steam ID (after you get one) if you want some pointers.
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 09, 2017, 10:45:17 AM
I don't understand. If you downloaded it on your PC, it should be a PC version. You should only get that error if you put in an XBOX CD. But anyway, if you want to play Skyrim, you should get it on Steam. Steam is the place where most games for PC are sold. They also have some really good deals during the Summer sale. But remember, there are two versions on there. Regular Skyrim and the Special Edition. Personally, I would recommend the newer Special Edition, despite it lacking the Script Extender and SkyUI tools for modding. I expect you probably won't be going crazy with the mods. Send me a PM with your Steam ID (after you get one) if you want some pointers.

Thank you.  As soon as I go offline here (Apple), I will hook up the PC and buy the Skyrim Special Edition.  I'll worry about modding later if I like the game. 

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 11:10:05 AM
Thank you.  As soon as I go offline here (Apple), I will hook up the PC and buy the Skyrim Special Edition.  I'll worry about modding later if I like the game.

Sounds good. Even if you're not very interested in mods, though, there is an unofficial patch that fixes some of the issues that were not officially resolved by the developers.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 01:52:40 PM
@both...  Sounds like dot/hack/sign...  Where do I start on an Apple?
It's somewhat difficult to play Skyrim on a mac, but it's possible.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 06, 2017, 02:09:28 PMI'm totally sure that Hydra will know tons more about this, but you can get a windows emulator for the MAC.
:smile2:

Indeed, I do.  But I have little personal experience with macs, all my knowledge about them is secondhand.  I can only point to other people who might know the solution.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 09, 2017, 01:22:36 PM
It's somewhat difficult to play Skyrim on a mac, but it's possible.

I just spent 3 hours trying to follow  online instructions for loading Civ2Gold Multiplayer and Steam onto the PC Win 10 and failed...  I think I'm gonna have to hire a Geek!  Moving around a PC is like charging through briars compared to a Mac...

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 11:10:05 AM
Thank you.  As soon as I go offline here (Apple), I will hook up the PC and buy the Skyrim Special Edition.
D'oh!  I should've read this post before responding.  Ah well.

It's MUCH easier to install Skyrim on a PC running Windows.

QuoteI'll worry about modding later if I like the game.
Sounds prudent.  However, there might be a couple mods that you might want right out of the gate.  Skyrim has a passable but frustratingly underwhelming UI, so SkyUI is practically a must.  That and a couple unofficial patches and a fix for that annoying alt-tab doublecursor bug.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 01:29:40 PM
I just spent 3 hours trying to follow  online instructions for loading Civ2Gold Multiplayer and Steam onto the PC Win 10 and failed...  I think I'm gonna have to hire a Geek!  Moving around a PC is like charging through briars compared to a Mac...

You purchased and downloaded Skyrim Special Edition on Steam on your PC, but it didn't work? What happens when you click it?
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 09, 2017, 01:39:59 PM
D'oh!  I should've read this post before responding.  Ah well.

It's MUCH easier to install Skyrim on a PC running Windows.
Sounds prudent.  However, there might be a couple mods that you might want right out of the gate.  Skyrim has a passable but frustratingly underwhelming UI, so SkyUI is practically a must.  That and a couple unofficial patches and a fix for that annoying alt-tab doublecursor bug.

Its something I will be better off tackling in the morning when my mind is fresh.

But I saw several scenarios.  One was "cute", one was "dark", and there were a few others.  I was attracted to the "dark" one involving survivalism in the Arctic.  A loner game.  Is that one hopeless?  I'm pretty resourceful but not suicidal.  LOL!

I got "THIS" close to downloading it, but Windows is not my thing.