News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Playing RE7 on ps4.
Making me wish I had a vr set. But it is waaaay too expensive for my casual gaming habit.

I seem to have most of the game mechanics down, but Marguerite in her mutated form is giving me some trouble.

I was especially into the chainsaw battle earlier. That was dope.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

I don't like admitting this, but I just got beat hard by a opponent named Gandhi who constantly interrupted battles with temporary truces and basically redirected all harmful moves against him into beneficial ones.  Turns fireballs into doves, turns greatswords into balloon swords, deadly riots into block parties, etc.  We sang kumbaya until the clock ran out and he won.  Absolutely humiliating loss.  I am livid with impotent rage right now.

Blackleaf

Just finished Super Metroid on my Switch. I have mixed feelings about it. On the negative side, the controls are a bit wonky. They hadn't figured out how they wanted to toggle special weapons like the missile yet, so they just have a button that cycles through every single one. Bizarrely, they even had Power Bombs lumped in with the other weapons, even though it's only useable in ball form. They also have a run button. I had to experiment with reassigning the buttons to get it feeling right, but even then I had to contort my hands in uncomfortable ways to do certain things. The way I had it set up, I could run and jump comfortably, but if I wanted to shoot while running, that required an extra finger. Additionally, the game is basically the series' The Force Awakens. It's technically a sequel, and yet it is basically a remake of the original game. They reuse the same enemies (including bosses), locations, and basic premise. Zero Mission, which is a remake of the original, does many of the same things, but better.

That being said, despite it's flaws, I did enjoy it. There were some WTF moments that caught me off guard (spoilers ahead, BTW, if you care about that kind of thing for a 27-year-old game). Like after forcing that boss into the pool of lava, seeing trying to escape as it burned alive. That was very disturbing for a kids' game. But then that same boss returns, busting through a wall, and just when you think it's time to fight the Dry Bones version of the boss in round 2...he falls apart. That made me laugh a little. Also, the phase 2 of the Mother Brain boss? What the hell? That is the thing of nightmares. The game is also very nonlinear. There is no set path at which you have to do things. You need certain powerups to get to certain places, of course, but you can sequence break very easily, if you know what you're doing. And that is at least somewhat intentional, given how the game teaches the player some of the tricks needed to sequence break later on.

One thing I find interesting is the choice the game gives you at the end. After defeating Mother Brain, there's a countdown as the entire planet is set to go boom. On your way back to your ship, you can make a detour and save these animals that are trapped in a room. Doing so does not help you in any way. It doesn't count towards completion, it barely makes any difference in the ending (all you get is a few pixels showing the animals escaping in a separate space ship), and since the one thing that determines whether you get the best ending, the medium ending, or the worse ending is how quickly you speedran it, it could actually hurt you to stop and save them. Not to mention, you could just run out of time and die in the explosion, having to go back and fight the final boss all over again. And yet this choice is presented to you. Do you make this risk out of pure altruism or not?

Now, of course, you might argue that saving the animals is the morally right thing to do. It certainly does seem that way. But given the context of Metroid Fusion, saving the animals (which is canon, BTW) may have been a mistake. For all we know, they could be copies made by the X parasite, which simply saw Samus as an ally due to the fact that she singlehandedly killed the entire population of their only predator in the universe back in Metroid 2. Looking back on the Game Theory on this concept actually made me think this might have been their intention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5upPvgtERQ
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 05, 2020, 07:40:23 PM
These cutouts were spotted in the audience at the The Lions vs Colts game a few days ago.

I hear that is more than what showed up at the Trump inaguration.

SvZurich

Dyson Sphere Program is a very neat high concept game.  It's basically Factorio simplified a bit and scaled up massively.  Humanity lives on as electronic lifeforms in a massive computer that needs/wants more energy and resources to allow it to create and maintain more "humans", and you have been assigned an energy hungry mech to act as your body to gather resources.  Your goal is to form a Dyson Sphere to gather all of a star's energy output, and even to reach out to other stars to colonize them.

You land on a world, begin to gather resources, research upgrades, build machines to extract more resources, factories to assemble more items and machines, and grow massively.  You have to work with orbits, launch rockets, can specialize the production of materials on worlds, and ship resources around the solar system to speed up construction efficiency.  It starts SLOW as you figure out the basics of the game and begin to build industry from scratch.  It rapidly speeds up once you have the basics down and learn about exponential growth.  It is a neat game in Early Access.

Mind you, there is no combat yet, nor aliens.  That is coming.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1366540/Dyson_Sphere_Program/
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Hydra009

My bro has me committed to play that with him as soon as we upgrade our rigs.
*prays for more authoritarian countries to ban bitcoin mining so that new GPUs can be purchased by people who will actually use them for games*

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTqTOU9uMM0

LOL gotta love that combat AI and overall game design.

Hydra009

PC Gamer gave that game an 82 out of 100.  Normally, I really like PC Gamer and tend to take their word for things.  Now, I'm wondering if this review was pre-written.  Especially since they praise "enemy variety" that Angry Joe puts on blast.

They do briefly mention a lot of the bugs and glitchy behavior, but present it as a tiny blemish on an otherwise solid game, not the crippling borderline-unplayable mess that Angry Joe experienced.  Who to believe...?

SvZurich

I am eagerly anticipating Super Robot Wars 30 on Steam.  It's the first of the 69 games in the series to be released in North America.  The previous English entries were only released in South East Asia.
Kimberly (HSBUH) aka Baroness Sylvia endorses the Meadow Party's Bill N' Opus for the 2024 Presidential election! Or a Sanders/Warren ticket.

Shiranu

Woke up to some fun gaming news today...

-Battlefield Portal will allow you to put teams from previous games (ww2 squads, Vietnam and modern warfare soldiers) against the BF2042 squads, including almost all the weapons plus an actually massive amount of customization in the lobby like you use to see in shooters. DICE have leaned all in on their game being a fun/sandbox experience, and I think it's going to be really good for the game. Looks like a lot of passion going into this one.

-Hades wins the Game Developer's Award, and 100% deserves it. Amazing game.

-Deadspace 1 REMAKEEEEE
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SvZurich

Currently enjoying Monster Hunter Stories 2

Mike Cl

Currently enjoying a new build for Grim Dawn.  If you liked the Diablo series, you gotta love this one! 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SvZurich

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 22, 2021, 09:35:49 PM
Currently enjoying a new build for Grim Dawn.  If you liked the Diablo series, you gotta love this one! 

That is one KS that I was happy to back AND extremely impressed by.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on July 22, 2021, 05:37:39 PM
-Deadspace 1 REMAKEEEEE

Okay... But... why?
The original still holds up really well. Even by today's standards the graphics still look more than adequate. No real bugs in the gameplay. I mean sure... maybe it would be fun to have the second game's zero G rather than the orginal's in a playthrough of the game, but that's about it.

I'm actually worried this game will play more like deadspace 3, which I will say I still enjoyed but which was almost objectively the worst installment of the main series.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.