News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on February 11, 2021, 04:44:04 PM
Just got it on GoG, so now begins the obligatory modding period for any Beth game lol.

I should upload a guide for how to play Morrowind.

Step 1: Find a place with a low ceiling that you can stand under.

Step 2: Spam the jump key for an hour straight.

Step 3: Profit.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I never really got the hang of stealing and didn't understand how vendors magically knew which items were stolen and which weren't.  Didn't even know about Chameleon spells until recently.

But it didn't matter too much because once you can start killing your own assassins, you're pretty much set for life.  And then when you get enough cash and materials for that first constant effect enchantment, it's all gravy after that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 11, 2021, 10:33:35 PM
I never really got the hang of stealing and didn't understand how vendors magically knew which items were stolen and which weren't.  Didn't even know about Chameleon spells until recently.

But it didn't matter too much because once you can start killing your own assassins, you're pretty much set for life.  And then when you get enough cash and materials for that first constant effect enchantment, it's all gravy after that.

In Morrowind, you can sell stolen items to a vendor. You just have to be careful not to try selling it to the guy you stole it from.

"Hey... This emerald looks just like the one that went missing from my shelves last week. Wait a minute. This IS my emerald!"

--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 12, 2021, 08:53:08 AMIn Morrowind, you can sell stolen items from a vendor. You just have to be careful not to try selling it to the guy you stole it from.

"Hey... This emerald looks just like the one that went missing from my shelves last week. Wait a minute. This IS my emerald!"
It's more than that.  If you steal soul gems from that Balmora enchanter, she'll consider ALL soul gems to be stolen from that point on, not just the specific soul gems that you stole.

In Caldera, mobs wander too close to the gates and get killed by the guards.  I looted an Alit hide and sold it to the local Mages Guild.  Expelled from the guild and nearly instantly killed by a bunch of pissed off mages.  A hell of a surprise, lol.  I'm glad I save often.

The stealing logic is pretty wonky, sometimes.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 12, 2021, 07:04:01 PM
It's more than that.  If you steal soul gems from that Balmora enchanter, she'll consider ALL soul gems to be stolen from that point on, not just the specific soul gems that you stole.

I think it just lumps them all together. So if you have five common soul gems, and you attempt to sell one of them to someone you stole them from, then it'll just see the one that you stole. But you should be able to sell them to anyone else, and that stack won't be marked as stolen. I'm not sure if it sells the stolen one first or what, but it shouldn't permanently have all soul gems forever marked as stolen.

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 12, 2021, 07:04:01 PMIn Caldera, mobs wander too close to the gates and get killed by the guards.  I looted an Alit hide and sold it to the local Mages Guild.  Expelled from the guild and nearly instantly killed by a bunch of pissed off mages.  A hell of a surprise, lol.  I'm glad I save often.

The stealing logic is pretty wonky, sometimes.

This one, I don't understand, and I don't think I've encountered that. If you are a thief, though, it's a good idea to save before trying to sell anything.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Another thing I really like about Morrowind, your actions really do have an effect, albeit in small ways.

A thieves guild cell asked for a mage to beef up their security.  I got them one.  Now, every time I visit, I see that mage providing security.

A bunch of shopkeeps told me to go see a customer about failing to pay for goods he bought.  I quoted scripture to him to try to get him to repay his debts.  He returned his goods and therefore wiped away his debt.  Later on, I ran into him at the Temple as a devotee.

"The guests don't return for the obvious things we do, the garish things, they come back because of the subtleties, the details." - Ford, Westworld

GrinningYMIR

just picked up long war again, also bought all of the DOOM games to play with my gf, also gonna show her Skyrim. She's a game virgin but is very eager to dip in
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on February 27, 2021, 07:05:28 PM
just picked up long war again, also bought all of the DOOM games to play with my gf, also gonna show her Skyrim. She's a game virgin but is very eager to dip in

Remember, be gentle.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Finally hit 50 rep in Morrowind.  Did lots and lots of sidequests to be able to bypass one annoyingly long part of the main quest.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 01, 2021, 01:12:36 PM
Finally hit 50 rep in Morrowind.  Did lots and lots of sidequests to be able to bypass one annoyingly long part of the main quest.

I can't remember. Do you have to have a reputation above a certain level to proceed through the main quest?

Reputation is something I've thought for a while could be improved. I think there should be three separate reputation scores. One for your public image, one for crimes you got away with, and another for actions taken in beast (werewolf or vampire lord) form. So say you're a very successful thief. You've never been caught, but your deeds have started to get attention. So security gets tighter in the regions you're active in. Maybe you can find wanted posters around town, with your bounty displayed. Or if you're a particularly bloodthirsty werewolf, legends of your murders spreads to the point where it can't be ignored anymore. Guards equip themselves with silver weapons, and werewolf hunters patrol the roads at night, trying to track you down.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 01, 2021, 02:47:19 PMI can't remember. Do you have to have a reputation above a certain level to proceed through the main quest?
You can do the main quest as normal at any time, afaik.  But if you're level 20+ and have 50+ rep before you get halfway through the main quest, you can skip the part where you have to convince everyone to name you Hortator/Nerevarine, which is by far the longest and most complex part of the main quest.

QuoteReputation is something I've thought for a while could be improved. I think there should be three separate reputation scores. One for your public image, one for crimes you got away with, and another for actions taken in beast (werewolf or vampire lord) form.
Imho, its reputation system should be more like Fallout New Vegas.  Like New Vegas, Morrowind is a very faction-centric game.  So you should similarly know at a glance which factions like you and which ones don't (and also which factions don't like which other factions, I shouldn't have to pull up the wiki to figure that out).

Your fame - aka your acts of heroism against Dagoth Ur and your acts of benevolence towards Morrowind as a whole - will improve your interactions with everyone except Sleepers, but the other half of the equation are your acts towards that faction and its rivals.  For example, if you kill Camonna Tong, all Thieves Guild members and Imperial Legion members will like you more, but all members of the Camonna Tong will like you less.

So no more murdering some guy's whole family only for him to like you because you bribed him once.  In fact, admire/bribery should decay over time, something like a week in-game.  Your personality, fame, faction affiliations, and faction rep should be the main things affecting a NPC's disposition.

Hydra009

Lately, I've been playing Mechanicus.  It's a lovely game where you play as toaster-worshipping cyborgs ransacking a gigantic alien tomb guarded by mechanical horrors whose gods literally eat hope.

It's also a brilliantly simple but frustratingly difficult turn-based strategy game.  I feel like my every move is meaningful - terrifyingly so.  Because it's frightfully easy to make a mistake or miscalculate something, which isn't that bad because you can make a little mistake and not die, right?  Yes, but the game deducts wounded units from your cash at the end of the mission.  /cry  The coffers are the true enemy here, pernicious and unyielding.  Come on, RNG!  Daddy just needs a bit more cash to upgrade his units...

The upgrade screen is truly awe-inspiring.  After just a couple upgrades, your cyborgs start to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator 2.  After that, H.R. Giger's fever dreams.  And what's more, the talent tree is pretty diverse and well-balanced.  So diverse that I suffer from decision paralysis.  I could make the ultimate melee deathbringer - a literal warmachine with plasma-scythes for hands and bloodlust that can only be sated by uttering a control phrase that only the Omnissiah knows.  Or round him out with some talents to make him more durable and adaptable.  But then I prolong the journey to deathbringer.  It's a conundrum.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 01, 2021, 05:43:27 PM
You can do the main quest as normal at any time, afaik.  But if you're level 20+ and have 50+ rep before you get halfway through the main quest, you can skip the part where you have to convince everyone to name you Hortator/Nerevarine, which is by far the longest and most complex part of the main quest.

Really? You can just skip it? So you just show up and they're like, "Oh yeah. We know you. Normally, we'd have a Nerevarine prove themselves to fit the prophecy before bestowing the title onto them, but you're good." Wait. Do you not get the ring if you do that?

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 01, 2021, 05:43:27 PMImho, its reputation system should be more like Fallout New Vegas.  Like New Vegas, Morrowind is a very faction-centric game.  So you should similarly know at a glance which factions like you and which ones don't (and also which factions don't like which other factions, I shouldn't have to pull up the wiki to figure that out).

Your fame - aka your acts of heroism against Dagoth Ur and your acts of benevolence towards Morrowind as a whole - will improve your interactions with everyone except Sleepers, but the other half of the equation are your acts towards that faction and its rivals.  For example, if you kill Camonna Tong, all Thieves Guild members and Imperial Legion members will like you more, but all members of the Camonna Tong will like you less.

So no more murdering some guy's whole family only for him to like you because you bribed him once.  In fact, admire/bribery should decay over time, something like a week in-game.  Your personality, fame, faction affiliations, and faction rep should be the main things affecting a NPC's disposition.

I just want to see NPCs react to my crimes without knowing it was me. I could become like the Jack the Ripper of The Elder Scrolls. lol
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 03, 2021, 12:35:21 PM
Really? You can just skip it? So you just show up and they're like, "Oh yeah. We know you. Normally, we'd have a Nerevarine prove themselves to fit the prophecy before bestowing the title onto them, but you're good." Wait. Do you not get the ring if you do that?
Vivec summons you directly instead of waiting atound for you to be named.  You can still do these quests if you want to for their associated loot, but you don't have to.  https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_Path_of_the_Incarnate#Bypassing_the_Fourth_and_Fifth_Trials

QuoteI just want to see NPCs react to my crimes without knowing it was me. I could become like the Jack the Ripper of The Elder Scrolls. lol
Could be done by lowering the disposition of the NPC when his goods go missing, regardless of if he saw you do it or not.  Real people would notice that you came in, left, then their stuff is gone and make the connection.  Certainly, Skyrim's bucket-headed NPCs could use the boosted awareness.

Mike Cl

Hate to admit this, but I just could not get going in Morrowind.  I got to level 6/7, went to Balmora and joined the fighters guild.  I was a fighter--tried the first quest for the guild and could not beat the rats--could not even get the sword to swing!!!  I have over 1,000 hrs into the game--haven't played it in several years, tho.  Could use an old save and go from there.  But, I just quit.  I've been playing Oblivion now for a couple of weeks.  I have not played in years and it is still quite good.  The graphics are not as good as Skyrim, but the playability is in the same ballpark.  I would love to see this game remastered--with Skyrim's graphics, it would be a competitor!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?