News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 13, 2020, 03:10:44 PM
I just realized that the new Xbox whatever it's called (god I hate their naming system.  As Rick put it: "time to stop naming and start numbering, you know") also uses AMD for both the CPU and GPU!

AMD is going to be drowning in cash soon.  Never thought I'd see the day where Intel and Nvidia are on the ropes, but it sure looks like it.

AMD has been a bit of an underdog for years.  Good for them.

I liked the codename "Scarlett" better. XBOX Series X is the dumbest name. Almost as dumb as the name XBOX One X for the half-generation jump.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 12, 2020, 03:05:45 PM
Ya'll seen the PS5 design? It looks pretty awesome to me. Very sleek and futuristic.
It comes with a ton of stuff, too. Including an HD camera. I don't know how much it's going to cost, but I expect the price point to be pretty high. Like "why did I buy this instead of a PC" high.
I mainly agree with the last part.  I look at that and think, "So what?"
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

I've been playing some old school MTG.  Shandalar.  1997.  4th edition.  Good times.

Name a more iconic duo:

Shiranu

Just beat my first ending for Neir: Automata... god, what a fucking good game. The soundtrack alone is one of those where, after hearing it, you realise just how little effort is really put into other games music. And the story reminds me a lot of Ghost in the Shell in that it leaves you asking yourself philosophical questions, which is dope.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Titanfall 2... is now on Steam...

Fuck yes, maybe more people will actually notice this amazing game now and increase the player count.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Nobody has tried Disco Elysium yet? You are breaking my heart.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yyRvAiXvc

So pumped for Balder's Gate 3!  The gameplay is a little less impressive than the cinematic, though.  But it looks very polished and beautiful.  Turn-based.  Perhaps I can relive my Neverwinter Nights experience with updated graphics.

Hydra009

I'm playing the toughest match I've ever played in a strategy game.

3vs1 and somewhat outgunned.  Spies and sabotage are hurting my troop morale, which makes them perform poorly in battles.  But I can replenish any lost forces quickly - much quicker than my opponent - I just can't make much headway with them because the enemy is too well fortified.  To make matters worse, there are constant probing actions deep in my territory.  I constantly have to divert forces and I never seem to be able to catch those damn spies.

In a desperate move, I sieged the enemy capital (which would have turned the tide had it been successful) only to be driven off with heavy losses.  Very disappointing.

Basically I'm trying to fight Joffrey, Ramsay Bolton, and a Khalasar at the same time.  With green troops.  If I focus on one, the others will run rampant, but if I divert too many forces, my forces will be too weak to make headway.  Quite the dilemma.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 23, 2020, 01:40:38 AM
I'm playing the toughest match I've ever played in a strategy game.

3vs1 and somewhat outgunned.  Spies and sabotage are hurting my troop morale, which makes them perform poorly in battles.  But I can replenish any lost forces quickly - much quicker than my opponent - I just can't make much headway with them because the enemy is too well fortified.  To make matters worse, there are constant probing actions deep in my territory.  I constantly have to divert forces and I never seem to be able to catch those damn spies.

In a desperate move, I sieged the enemy capital (which would have turned the tide had it been successful) only to be driven off with heavy losses.  Very disappointing.

Basically I'm trying to fight Joffrey, Ramsay Bolton, and a Khalasar at the same time.  With green troops.  If I focus on one, the others will run rampant, but if I divert too many forces, my forces will be too weak to make headway.  Quite the dilemma.
Have you considered dropping nukes?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 23, 2020, 11:36:20 AM
Have you considered dropping nukes?
No nukes.  But my empire is steadily outgrowing the other three (war production is killing their economies while I can handle it indefinitely) and my generals are superior and getting better all the time.  They've had plenty of practice.

I'm going to retreat and regroup, make a gigantic investment to upgrade troops, wheel around and kill the weakest empire, and try to police my borders better with auxiliary armies.  That should keep spying to a minimum.

I also have a spy of my own and can cripple the strongest empire's army morale like they've cripple mine.  But I'm going to hold off on that until just the right moment and then go on a rampage in their territory.

If things go well, I can destroy them in sequence.  If not, I can always wait them out.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz60gxd5D9A

I just barely squeaked out a win.  That was exhausting.

Apparently, the community patch was causing the AI to act in some very bizarre ways - it's not usually that aggressive.  Almost crashed the program with all the spam they brought to the field.  All three AIs weren't even allied, they just attacked me in a very coordinated, cutthroat way because my production was outpacing theirs.

Imho, the only reason I won is because towards the end, they put all their production into game-enders, neglecting troop production.  Because of that, they weren't able to replenish their losses at all and I was able to break through their lines.

I was expecting a nice, easy-going game and instead I got the Eastern Front.  Way too stressful!

Blackleaf

Couple of things:

1. Steam Summer Sale is going on. If there are any PC games you've had your eyes on for a while, check to see if they're on sale.

2. I don't know if there are any Sonic fans here, but a certain fan game called Sonic Robo Blast 2 got an overhaul recently. It's turned into a really fun game. I had been playing it pretty obsessively all month. If you haven't heard of it yet, SRB2 is a Sonic fan game created in a modified Doom engine, as strange as that sounds. It features Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters, with the overhaul adding an additional three unlockable characters. Each character has their own abilities, including unique routes and collectibles, although the main three of course get the most attention. This game has been in development for about 20 years now, and has changed a TON over the years. It wasn't until version 2.2 of December of last year, though that I would start recommending this game. Now, it's a very fun, and challenging, game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Ut5sn2vps

Now, if you're not a fan of the 2D sprites in the 3D environment, there is an option for retro-style 3D models as well. You'll just have to download a separate file (which also includes support for several popular character mods, I should add). I would highly recommend using these because, while the new 2D spritework is really good, the 3D models just make it a lot easier to judge distance. The models currently apply to characters, enemies, items, and traps, and it gives them a Saturn-era aesthetic.

--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 19, 2020, 04:50:59 AM
Nobody has tried Disco Elysium yet? You are breaking my heart.

It looks good, it's just a little too expensive for me right now.

trdsf

Fuck you, Steam.

(3/4 of my wishlist was on sale.  The bastards.)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Quote from: trdsf on June 28, 2020, 07:38:45 PM
Fuck you, Steam.

(3/4 of my wishlist was on sale.  The bastards.)

Only 3/4?
--Fulke Greville--