Author Topic: Any gamers around here?  (Read 333413 times)

Re: Any gamers around here?
« Reply #3540 on: May 04, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
What are your opinions on Enderal: The Shards of Order?
I was able to download Enderal: Forgotten Story for free some time ago.  About 5 months ago, I gave it a whirl.  I loved it!  It is Skyrim on steroids.  Graphics a touch better; story line excellent; bigger than I'd thought; multiple endings; and more ways to play.  It is a game I will be returning to in my established replay games.  Morrowind, Oblivion,  FO3, New Vegas, FO4, Skyrim and now Enderal and Grim Dawn--all games I dust off and do again.  Added all together I have over 10,000 hours into those games. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent,
Is he able but not willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able or willing?
Then why call him god?

Offline drunkenshoe

« Reply #3541 on: May 05, 2020, 03:33:41 PM »
It's on steroids,lol. Those skeletons are designed to take the revenge of the Skyrim ones! :)
'the wise man does not seek enlightenment, he waits for it. so while ı was waiting, it occurred to me that seeking perplexity might be more fun.’ - lu-tze

Online Munch

« Reply #3542 on: May 05, 2020, 10:37:59 PM »
Downloaded streets of rage 4, and dam this game is fun!

Played the original first and second game on the mega drive/genesis decades ago, and they were hard games to master but so much fun. And they really paid homage to the series with this. Feels just like stepping back into my childhood but with better graphics and smooth gameplay. Retro style but done right.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Online Munch

« Reply #3543 on: May 12, 2020, 02:36:51 PM »
also been playing street fighter V a lot lately.

With mods.

this is why I love being a pc gamer.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #3544 on: May 19, 2020, 03:23:39 PM »

In this game, there are two very different but equally viable playstyles -  you can choose to face your enemies openly or rely on stealth and misdirection to take your enemies unawares.

My brother and I have long been champions of these diametrically opposed playstyles.  I nearly always play a crusader-type character - heavy armor, limited magic, open and honest, leading the charge.  My brother is more of a sneakthief - light armor, lockpicking, deceiving, committing foul deeds behind enemy lines.

I detest such cowardice and dishonor - and consider stealth a sign of weakness (why would you need to hide unless you are likely to lose in open combat?).  And he dislikes my bluntness and predictable, straightforward ways of doing things.  We shall see which playstyle is better.

Sadly, this game is only on the PS4, but I'm confident that a PC port will be available in the future.

« Reply #3545 on: May 19, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »

In this game, there are two very different but equally viable playstyles -  you can choose to face your enemies openly or rely on stealth and misdirection to take your enemies unawares.

My brother and I have long been champions of these diametrically opposed playstyles.  I nearly always play a crusader-type character - heavy armor, limited magic, open and honest, leading the charge.  My brother is more of a sneakthief - light armor, lockpicking, deceiving, committing foul deeds behind enemy lines.

I detest such cowardice and dishonor - and consider stealth a sign of weakness (why would you need to hide unless you are likely to lose in open combat?).  And he dislikes my bluntness and predictable, straightforward ways of doing things.  We shall see which playstyle is better.

Sadly, this game is only on the PS4, but I'm confident that a PC port will be available in the future.
I'm with your brother on this one!  Give me some cammy's, a good sniper rifle, good reflexes and I'll put a bullet in your head from a mile away.  Or in Skyrim, an arrow.  I see nothing inherently honest in riding up to the enemy and challenging him to hit me in the head!  But I applaud your doing so, since I can then sneak to the side/behind the enemy and put on some real hurt!
Then whence cometh evil?
Then why call him god?

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #3546 on: May 19, 2020, 06:23:43 PM »
Bah, Skyrim excessively rewards stealtharcher builds to the point that practically everyone is drawn to its siren's call within their playthrough.  Fallout is kinda at the other end, where everyone and their brother is sporting power armor.

While I have no doubt that sneaky, underhanded moves will be more popular, I can hope that the purity of open combat will also be popular.

« Reply #3547 on: May 19, 2020, 07:13:11 PM »
Bah, Skyrim excessively rewards stealtharcher builds to the point that practically everyone is drawn to its siren's call within their playthrough.  Fallout is kinda at the other end, where everyone and their brother is sporting power armor.

While I have no doubt that sneaky, underhanded moves will be more popular, I can hope that the purity of open combat will also be popular.
In FO4 I am stealth and sniper rifles all the way.  I hate the power armor.  I usually play on survival mode and stealth really pays off then.
Then whence cometh evil?
Then why call him god?

Offline Hydra009

« Reply #3548 on: May 19, 2020, 11:56:31 PM »
I finally got around to playing Road Redemption (very similar to Road Rash - motorcycle racing game with a LOT of combat)

For starters, the combat is absolutely amazing.  Very thrilling.  And few things are better than slapping a bomb on an enemy jeep surrounded by enemies and zooming away as it erupts into flame and shrapnel.  And there's a steady stream of enemies, so it's definitely a target-rich environment.  And in addition to metal bats and a machete (yes, you can decapitate enemies), you can also unleash your inner Matrix Reloaded and spray-n-pray with a Tec-9 at 150mph.  Good luck hitting anything.

The racing is kind janky.  With the utter mayhem of the combat, it's difficult to focus on the road and it's extremely easy to fall behind and not easy to catch up.  The enemies seem to have a superhuman ability to stay alive unless the player personally destroys them, which is easier said than done as cars literally rain down from the heavens.

I'm pretty sure that simply owning the game has me on some sort of watchlist, but I already burned down that bridge with Carmaggedon in the 90s.  Suffice it to say that it's about as family-friendly as the Deadpool movie.

The part I strongly dislike is its progression system - you carry over damage from mission to mission and you only have one life and health refills somewhat difficult to get and don't do much to staunch the bleeding.  So you're going to die a lot.  "That's fine" you say, "I'll just restart where I left off."  Except you can't.  You have to restart the campaign all the way from the very beginning.  But at least whatever meager XP you earned can be used for permanent, albeit fairly minor upgrades.  "No problem" you say, "I'll just use my 190xp to buy the first upgrade".  That'll be 200 xp.  Oh, and xp doesn't carry over.  :'(

I could handle them being stingy with the xp if it carried over or awarding decent-sized chunks and removing the remainder.  Individually, either of those is fine.  But combined, that creates quite a slog.  And while things do get easier as you learn and unlock those first passive boosts, it is a hell of a timesink.  This game is basically a 5-hour game stretched out into easily 30 hours, if not more.  That's ridiculous.

I mean, FFS, I didn't expect the racing equivalent of Dark Souls.  And while the actual gameplay is decent, everything else - the menu, the interface, the music - is pretty subpar.  I mean, I get loading screen tips that basically say "don't die" and the game over screen shows me the button map over a diagram of a console controller, even though I'm playing on PC on a keyboard.  That's so stupid.  The whole game design is like having a V8 engine in an ugly, dated Russian sedan.  It just doesn't make sense.

Initially, I wanted to give it a decent 7/10.  But given its progression issues, I'm going to go with a 5/10.  Not great, not awful.  Delicious first bite, bad aftertaste.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 01:54:22 AM by Hydra009 »