News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 17, 2019, 01:12:06 AM
Well, one of the main appeals of the game is the huge universe of stars and planets you can visit. If you pick a random star and go there, there's a good chance you're the first one there. I believe you can even name the planets and wildlife you discover.
You can indeed. Some players have even formed "scientific organizations" with standards for naming and classification. The game even pays your character for making and uploading discoveries.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 16, 2019, 11:39:13 PM
No Man's Sky is balanced with the assumption that you will be going solo 100% of the time that you play. Also, unless you intentionally seek people out or find yourself in one of the "civilized" star systems, you are basically never going to encounter anyone by accident. 99.99% of the time when you see another player, it's going to be inside of the Space Anomaly, because it can be accessed from anywhere.

You can turn multiplayer off, although personally I think you'd miss out on some neat moments (namely the contrast between lonely exploration and the bustling Anomaly town). There are ways to take out the danger, namely by turning off PvP so that you can neither shoot other players nor be shot at by them. You can have a multiplayer experience that entirely consists of "look, but don't touch" if you really want.

Oh and before you ask: the Anomaly is one of the game's many no-combat zones. You can't even draw your weapon, much less attack, so you're perfectly safe in there despite being surrounded by unpredictable humans. ;)
Thanks for the info.  Sounds like that is a multiplayer experience I'd not mind.  I do have DayZ (purchased long ago and very cheap), and while I fully understand that surviving for more than a little bit without help is what this game is about, getting on via a server can be madding at times.  Multiplayer is what this game is about, but it does not keep me from trying it solo for the most part.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hijiri Byakuren

Also a word of warning. Eventually while playing, you will come across abandoned buildings surrounded by things called Whispering Eggs. Do not touch the eggs. Do not approach the eggs. Don’t even look at the eggs. Just do what needs doing in the abandoned building and gtfo. The eggs don’t like you. The eggs hate everything about your existence. If you mess with the eggs, you’re gonna have a bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 17, 2019, 11:47:51 AM
Also a word of warning. Eventually while playing, you will come across abandoned buildings surrounded by things called Whispering Eggs. Do not touch the eggs. Do not approach the eggs. Don’t even look at the eggs. Just do what needs doing in the abandoned building and gtfo. The eggs don’t like you. The eggs hate everything about your existence. If you mess with the eggs, you’re gonna have a bad day.

Thanks for the tip.  But you do know what it is I have to do--right?!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

You know I'm going to have to touch one now, right?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

I have read that first without reading anything else. I have no idea why. Just like that. I am not going to look at any eggs for some time. It has an effect. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 17, 2019, 01:20:47 PM
Thanks for the tip.  But you do know what it is I have to do--right?!
Have fun dealing with literally the worst possible thing you can encounter in No Man's Sky. They are strong, durable, hard to land a hit on, and you will be forced to fight an unlimited number of them until you get to a non-combat area, such as a building. And unlike fighting sentinels or animals, these guys don't drop loot.

Whispering Eggs drop valuable Larval Cores, which dissolve if you aren't quick to grab them. There are methods for safely harvesting them, but they're not available at the start of the game.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 17, 2019, 09:30:50 PM
Have fun dealing with literally the worst possible thing you can encounter in No Man's Sky. They are strong, durable, hard to land a hit on, and you will be forced to fight an unlimited number of them until you get to a non-combat area, such as a building. And unlike fighting sentinels or animals, these guys don't drop loot.

Whispering Eggs drop valuable Larval Cores, which dissolve if you aren't quick to grab them. There are methods for safely harvesting them, but they're not available at the start of the game.
Okay--I will leave the eggs alone. :)

Hydra009

You know what'd be really fun?  Star Wars with no Force powers.  Or starships.  During peacetime.

Hydra009

Cavebear

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 20, 2019, 05:58:33 PM
That's a real thing?
Oh yes.  It's a thing of beauty.

Oh... you're probably asking about the game...

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O85xF9lzgTg

I want this to come to full fruition so very badly.

Some stuff is still a little janky, especially the combat system, but the aesthetic of this game is so nirn-shatteringly incredible that it's easy to overlook minor flaws.

Can't wait to see my man Ra'Virr!  *decked out in the finest daedric armor and boasting a wide assortment of daedric weapons at last*

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 18, 2019, 07:13:32 PM

You know what'd be really fun?  Star Wars with no Force powers.  Or starships.  During peacetime.

Funny enough, the best Star Wars games and movies both revolve around non-Force users (besides KotOR)... and even some of the best novel characters.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur