News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on May 10, 2019, 03:59:29 AMhow is that D&D is generally considered as 'copied' by Elder Scrolls or any other game, book or movies I don't get.
It's not copied wholesale, but the broad strokes are extremely similar.  High fantasy, medieval kingdom, fantasy races, chosen hero, magic items, pantheon of gods, etc - even the nitty gritty of the game mechanics are strikingly similar.  The overall experience is eerily similar to D&D.  In fact, Elder Scrolls initially struck me as a D&D homebrew that took on a life of its own.

But the two have diverged a lot over the years - especially in Morrowind and in the game's mythic history - so it's no longer a charge that carries much weight anymore.

Still, it's a charge that could return if new elder scrolls content becomes too similar to recent D&D content.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on May 10, 2019, 01:14:51 AM
Distractions are our friend ;-)  Less bendy than putting our heads between our legs, eh?
Yep!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Games ranked by the similarity D&D (most similar to least similar)

* D&D 3rd edition
* Pathfinder
* The Elder Scrolls
* Magic: The Gathering
* Dragon Age
* Doom
* D&D 4th edition

(I'm half-joking)

Blackleaf

Looks like the FFVII Remake isn't dead yet. We're supposed to be getting more info next month.

https://youtu.be/Df0YG3qfZ8E
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 10, 2019, 09:01:22 AM
It's not copied wholesale, but the broad strokes are extremely similar.  High fantasy, medieval kingdom, fantasy races, chosen hero, magic items, pantheon of gods, etc - even the nitty gritty of the game mechanics are strikingly similar. 

And that's literally every myth, legend, poetic record, story from Ancient and Middle Ages in British Isles. (Not to mention the countless others.) Everything from Cad Goddeu to Welsh Triads; Red Book of Hergest...etc. Every myth has artifcats; magic items; fantasy races and gods. Without these elements they can't be defined as myths. Most of the Game of Thrones themes are taken from these myths. The Bran character alone is everywhere from Britain to Greece. The White Crow. He is in Triads. The modern versions of King Arthur Legend is taken from these myths. Robin Hood is the same.

Every story that is sold by British writers, particularly English writers, today is 'partly stolen' from Ancient and Middle Age Welsh, Scottish, Irish... cultures. None of them are even English.

A card game invented in the second half of the 20th century has no claim on any of it.

Tolkien himself actually is the first great example of creating myths from myths in modern times. LotR is not just a fantasy story book. Cad Goddeu = War of the Trees. It's a long poem about a war of trees in Book of Taliesin. (14th century I guess, probably much much older and copied over and over again.) Well, nobody knows who wrote it or what was actually meant by it, but can you say that has nothig to do with creating, no inspiration, no connection to Ents? Arbology is the base of Druidism. 

I never realised this situation before. If D&D has let an impression built for years as if this is something originally belong to them; actively advertise that it is originally theirs -which would be possible to pull of only in the US- that is a fucking scam. And if they are also acting as if others; games are stealing from them, again what a scam. False advertising to put politely.

I don't think the original creators would pursue such a policy if they were alive though. 

This seems like the story of Christianity; the origin of Jesus story. How many Americans do know that Christianity is made on table in 4th century and everything about their God's life was written there after more than 300 years later he supposedly died?

Well, I find this situation highly annoying. Somebody should put this people in their place.     

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 10, 2019, 11:06:08 AM
Looks like the FFVII Remake isn't dead yet. We're supposed to be getting more info next month.

https://youtu.be/Df0YG3qfZ8E

the minute Aeris appeared, I held my breath. the original game broke me emotionally back then.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

I beat Civ2 at King level yesterday.  It was really a messy game.  I had intended to make it a military game, but I found I was on an island.  By the time I got off it, the Mongols were in strong control.  I had to blend Engineers, Bombers, and Nukes to get enough time to land at Alpha Centuri before the Mongols.

Beat them by 2 years.

Next step, Deity.  I'm doomed there, but will try.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cavebear on May 16, 2019, 02:11:40 PM
I beat Civ2 at King level yesterday.  It was really a messy game.  I had intended to make it a military game, but I found I was on an island.  By the time I got off it, the Mongols were in strong control.  I had to blend Engineers, Bombers, and Nukes to get enough time to land at Alpha Centuri before the Mongols.

Beat them by 2 years.

Next step, Deity.  I'm doomed there, but will try.
Is it even possible to beat Deity without using a calculator and advanced math?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Shiranu

Total War: Three Kingdoms comes out next week, and fuck me if I am not considering buying it day one even if I swore I would self-castrate myself for buying a game the first month it's out.

The setting, the fact it's Total War... the fact that one reviewer described it as, "Total War meets Crusader Kings II" (which between the two I have probably sunk in at least 500 hours)... ugh.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Give it time.  It's a terrible idea to buy early when you don't really know the state of the game.

*Empire: Total War gathering dust*

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 17, 2019, 05:43:13 PM
Total War: Three Kingdoms comes out next week, and fuck me if I am not considering buying it day one even if I swore I would self-castrate myself for buying a game the first month it's out.

The setting, the fact it's Total War... the fact that one reviewer described it as, "Total War meets Crusader Kings II" (which between the two I have probably sunk in at least 500 hours)... ugh.

Try watching the 2008 Chinese miniseries on Red Cliff ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd0bqLQrtdE

Red Cliff is one episode in one of the four great early modern Chinese epic novels "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" which has 120 chapters with 1000 characters in 800K words.  Warlord CaoCao is the bad dude from the north, Red Cliff is the climactic battle on the Yangtze where CaoCao is trying to extend his hegemony to the south.  So epic there are two miniseries, the second continued in 2009 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-briQqhGZY

That is the famous legend of how to get the enemy to provide you with arrows when you are running short ...

Some of the greatest Chinese fight sequences, strategy, romance ... with legendary characters from that time period.  Basically China's answer to the Illiad.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Deviousness of CaoCao from the TV miniseries made after the 2 part epic movie ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD-0-HH_4as
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

_Xenu_

Free Steam keys:

Streets of Rogue
0G84E-G2M9C-V3B4M

Punch Club
2KZ52-TW9NB-KEDB5

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 17, 2019, 12:03:26 PM
Is it even possible to beat Deity without using a calculator and advanced math?

I'm not sure.  Back when there was a whole discussion group of Civ2, there were players so fanatic that they not only won at Deity, they did it with one Super-City, Science-only, and Military-only.  I sure never could win at Deity at my best, playing carefully turn-by-turn.

When I am anointed US King, I will make sure to have those people as top military officers!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!