News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

I see that Civ2 is not going to get any interest, LOL!  Oh well, real time action games are not my preference.  I prefer to sit and think.  But reading about your action games is kind of interesting.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 17, 2019, 10:13:58 PM
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.  But more happening in EA, I fear, than has been revealed.  If there's a bright center to the universe, EA is the planet that it's farthest from.

inb4 the game releases as an unfinished mess, and we learn that the majority of the game was made in a single year.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 17, 2019, 11:51:18 PM
inb4 the game releases as an unfinished mess, and we learn that the majority of the game was made in a single year.
And half the game is DLC.

Shiranu

It's being produced by Respawn who have a really, really good tract record of making high quality games (and games that adhere to a more classic idea of what games should be)... so I am remaining optimistic about it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on April 18, 2019, 12:10:08 AM
It's being produced by Respawn who have a really, really good tract record of making high quality games (and games that adhere to a more classic idea of what games should be)... so I am remaining optimistic about it.

Anthem was made by BioWare, creators of Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect. Look at how Anthem turned out. lol. I do hope that this Star Wars game is good, but I'll keep a healthy dose of skepticism until the game is released to the public.
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 18, 2019, 01:33:01 AM
Anthem was made by BioWare, creators of Knights of the Old Republic, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect. Look at how Anthem turned out. lol. I do hope that this Star Wars game is good, but I'll keep a healthy dose of skepticism until the game is released to the public.

It was also made after massive cuts to the studio, years of decline in quality and amidst some absolutely insane internal turmoil. Anthem didn't come out of nowhere, the writing was on the wall with the quality of games significantly dropping since at least ME3 and DAI. Respawn is currently in their prime and there is no reason to expect anything less of them (so long as EA gives them the creative freedom they need).

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Good news, everyone!

City of Heroes might someday be in a playable state.

Basically, after that MMO got shuttered, some guy ran his own private server somehow.  Well, his secret is out and so a lot of the source code has been released to the public.  Enough to make for a playable game.

Bottom line: we might actually see CoH private servers sometime.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 18, 2019, 07:57:23 PM
Good news, everyone!

City of Heroes might someday be in a playable state.

Basically, after that MMO got shuttered, some guy ran his own private server somehow.  Well, his secret is out and so a lot of the source code has been released to the public.  Enough to make for a playable game.

Bottom line: we might actually see CoH private servers sometime.

Nice! I always wanted to play that game, but never had the means to until it was already gone.
--Fulke Greville--

GrinningYMIR

Quote from: Cavebear on April 17, 2019, 11:01:23 PM
I see that Civ2 is not going to get any interest, LOL!  Oh well, real time action games are not my preference.  I prefer to sit and think.  But reading about your action games is kind of interesting.
I used to play C2 all the time as a kid, but getting it to work now isn’t easy and I’ve sort of moved on from civ as a franchise into other strategy games. I’m a fan of battle brothers and xcom. Though I’m sad long war will never work again
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

_Xenu_

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on April 19, 2019, 08:49:53 AM
I used to play C2 all the time as a kid, but getting it to work now isn’t easy and I’ve sort of moved on from civ as a franchise into other strategy games. I’m a fan of battle brothers and xcom. Though I’m sad long war will never work again
Depends how bad you want it back. You can always run it within a virtual machine of the OS is was intended for.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

GrinningYMIR

Well long war just virused my computer and I’ve not much luck with virtual Machines
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 19, 2019, 12:01:00 AM
Nice! I always wanted to play that game, but never had the means to until it was already gone.
The best thing was the travel powers.  It was the first time an MMO gave me unfettered freedom of movement.  Combined with interesting terrain, it was wild.  You can jump over canyons or fly through the giant donut hanging over the donut shop or run down monorail tracks while spamming the train emote.  Choo!  Choo! You can even do the iconic superhero landing.  Real bad on the knees, though.

And you could completely customize your character's appearance, even write a backstory if you want.

And instead of phat lewt, you get these ehancement thingies.  So instead of getting "Bat's rune mace of peerless taxidermy", you get a +damage thingie.  So if you want to boost a power (like heat vision), all you have to do is slot it in.  Simple!  Oh and did I mention that ninja looting is not a thing?

And then there are insipirations.  These are basically little potions you can use to temporarily boost yourself and even rez yourself (albeit in a weakened state for a short while)  The genius is that you get them from bashing heads and they take up their own inventory space so you can spam them to your heart's content and melt faces without having to worry about crafting more or buying more at town.  #$@& that noise.

Basically, the game wants you to run missions and crack heads and lets you do it however you see fit and doesn't hobble you with a lot of ridiculous downtime stuck on a windrider or buying mats or comparing gear or waiting for mana to fill up.

An MMO designed to be fun, who'dathunkit?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 19, 2019, 06:51:01 PM
The best thing was the travel powers.  It was the first time an MMO gave me unfettered freedom of movement.  Combined with interesting terrain, it was wild.  You can jump over canyons or fly through the giant donut hanging over the donut shop or run down monorail tracks while spamming the train emote.  Choo!  Choo! You can even do the iconic superhero landing.  Real bad on the knees, though.

And you could completely customize your character's appearance, even write a backstory if you want.

And instead of phat lewt, you get these ehancement thingies.  So instead of getting "Bat's rune mace of peerless taxidermy", you get a +damage thingie.  So if you want to boost a power (like heat vision), all you have to do is slot it in.  Simple!  Oh and did I mention that ninja looting is not a thing?

And then there are insipirations.  These are basically little potions you can use to temporarily boost yourself and even rez yourself (albeit in a weakened state for a short while)  The genius is that you get them from bashing heads and they take up their own inventory space so you can spam them to your heart's content and melt faces without having to worry about crafting more or buying more at town.  #$@& that noise.

Basically, the game wants you to run missions and crack heads and lets you do it however you see fit and doesn't hobble you with a lot of ridiculous downtime stuck on a windrider or buying mats or comparing gear or waiting for mana to fill up.

An MMO designed to be fun, who'dathunkit?

A remember there being a City of Villains as well. Was that an expansion pack or a spinoff? I honestly find it more fun to play the villain. Few games let you do that.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 19, 2019, 10:17:17 PM
A remember there being a City of Villains as well. Was that an expansion pack or a spinoff? I honestly find it more fun to play the villain. Few games let you do that.
It was essentially a standalone expansion.  Different classes, different zones, different enemies/allies (though a lot of enemies are the same).  You could even favor a particular Arachnos lieutenant, iirc.  And instead of running missions where you stop a bank robber, you can rob the bank, defeat the hero sent to stop you, and cause mayhem all over town until the time limit runs out.  It's just as fun as it sounds.

Basically, it was City of Heroes turned on its head.

Overall, I liked it well enough.

My main criticisms of it were that it didn't have enough zone variety (slums get old after a while) and you're mostly fighting other villains.  I could've used a lot more hero-bashing.  Mostly though, I just missed the iconic heroes-only missions.  The villain missions we're good, too, but they weren't quite as gripping somehow.

Also, I really liked saving random people on the street and getting thanked as a hero.  It seems stupid, but that really helped cheer me up when I was feeling down.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 19, 2019, 12:01:00 AM
Well today's you're lucky day, because a test server has now been activated.  Only a small amount of the content is up and running, and the server is having all sorts of problems, but it is technically possible for the general public to play this game again - a fact that previously hadn't been true for 6 years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cityofheroes/

DISCLAIMER: download at your own risk and expect lots of technical issues: you might be unable to create an account, unable to connect to the server, and/or experience all sorts of lag/crashes while playing.  Expect no technical assistance from me.

I merely point towards the door, you must walk through.