News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on March 21, 2019, 04:17:57 AM
Baruch loves to do the either/or argument.  In his black and white world, he sees no grey...
True.  And lately, rarely does he give us his actual feelings or thoughts.  He likes to be what he considers clever.  I think he has been blinded by his personal hatred--much like a spurned lover, he now hates what used to be his great love--democrats, Hillary, Obama and it even seems to have spilled over into a hatred of humanity in general.  Instead of spreading joy and appreciation for anything, he spreads hate, dread and a general put-down of life in general. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

So Outer Worlds is scheduled to be a Epic Store exclusive and won't be on Steam until a year after release.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the overwhelming negative reaction forces them to change their release plans.  Otherwise, this is yet another case of an otherwise good game getting a bad rep because of terrible business decisions.

Hydra009

Here's how I feel about PC game launchers:  Steam, GoG, maybe Battle.net (but it hurts me inside)

Everything else: HARD PASS.  You could put a gun to my head and demand that I download Origin and I wouldn't do it.

_Xenu_

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 21, 2019, 12:18:06 PM
So Outer Worlds is scheduled to be a Epic Store exclusive and won't be on Steam until a year after release.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that the overwhelming negative reaction forces them to change their release plans.  Otherwise, this is yet another case of an otherwise good game getting a bad rep because of terrible business decisions.

Honestly, given the sheer number of titles available for me to play, exclusive windows don't really bother me. Steam is my only major platform, and there's no lack of games for me to play there.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Hydra009

I mean, a year isn't that long to wait for gamers in general.  There's plenty of other games to play.  But for people who were chomping at the bit for an actual RPG with real choices (a very niche audience), that's a hell of a thing to get saddled with.

And it's even worse for the devs, who have no real say over the business end of their game.  The first couple of months of release really make or break a game - they have to hope people are willing to download yet another launcher just to play their game and not pirate it and/or review bomb the hell out of it in protest.  Imo, the latter is FAR more likely.

The end result is a lot of lost goodwill and interest, and likely a lot of lost money to boot.  It's amazing to me that these sorts of business decisions are ever made.  Wouldn't you want to release a game as far and wide as you possibly can so that the most people buy your game?

_Xenu_

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: _Xenu_ on March 21, 2019, 04:07:22 PM
Tacoma now free at Humble Bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tacoma?hmb_source=search_bar

I wonder if it is possible that a real surrounding can be achieved in games.

I mean, think of Google street view. What a pleasure it would be to play a FRP in a game that is implemented real street view surrounding, even for me who do not like playing games... ı I see like, you know, it is a time loss to play while you can do something educative, horizon-opening...

Hydra009

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on March 21, 2019, 04:27:26 PMWhat a pleasure it would be to play a FRP in a game that is implemented real street view surrounding
I do.  I call it IRL.  It's the world's popular MMO.  Literally endless class/race/birthsign/profession combinations.  Kinda glitchy with lots of unpatched exploits though, and everyone says that vanilla was better.

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 21, 2019, 04:35:13 PM
I do.  I call it IRL.  It's the world's popular MMO.  Literally endless class/race/birthsign/profession combinations.  Kinda glitchy with lots of unpatched exploits though, and everyone says that vanilla was better.

I wish i were satisfied with who i am...
But ı wanna be the v.2 of myself...the upgraded version of me...

We have to develop a perspektive that sees the real life as a game instead of playing trivial games, ı say...

Hydra009

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on March 21, 2019, 04:54:58 PM
I wish i were satisfied with who i am...
But ı wanna be the v.2 of myself...the upgraded version of me...

We have to develop a perspektive that sees the real life as a game instead of playing trivial games, ı say...
Ehh..."trivial" depends on your perspective.

Most of this stuff is essentially an interactive story with high-quality art.  And the really good ones tackle some very challenging subject matter (Bioshock Infinite, Fallout, Soma, Life Is Strange, the Stanley Parable, This War of Mine, etc) or have some educational content (historical games)

Even comparatively basic arcade games are great in giving people fun experiences with otherwise idle time.  I mean, Super Mario Bros is basically a generational touchstone.

With Morrowind, I don't think I've ever before or since played a game that felt like such a living, breathing world.  (Fallout New Vegas comes close)

I dunno if I'd call any of that trivial.

PickelledEggs

Yeah. The recent patches fucking SUCK!!!

fuck this shit

Blackleaf

Quote from: PickelledEggs on March 21, 2019, 05:29:35 PM
Yeah. The recent patches fucking SUCK!!!

fuck this shit

Agreed. They really gimped the hell out of the student class. Their education skill is not nearly as effective for finding quests as they used to be.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

_Xenu_

I am sure the development team was pretty damn drunk when the Donald patch was released.

SoldierofFortune

If the game IRL were saved in 60s
lets start all over there as a flower child.
did you save there? ahahhah

Mr.Obvious

I kind of underestimated the need for charisma and intelligence and strength for my character.

Maxing out The sarcasm meter instead was 'soooo useful'.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.