News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 25, 2018, 02:59:27 PM
Thanks.  Not what I'm looking for in anew game.  I know what you mean about some games not being what you want.  I want to search rather than buy blind.  Maybe I'm cheap, LOL!
Yeah, I'm cheap too.  At release date prices, without any user reviews, you cannot know what you are getting.  Before the prices start to drop, there are enough reviews to get an idea if you will like it, but I wait and wait until it's somewhere around $15.  Years ago, I subscribed to PC Gamer, one of very few magazines I've ever had a subscription for.  PC Gamer would start hyping a game a couple of years in advance, so you knew what the block busters were supposed to be and when they were coming.  They were generally close when it came time to review, but one issue they remarked on a game that had just been released, and for which they had no pre-release hype, and as far as I know, had never mentioned.  PC Gamer readers didn't know anything about it, but after it was released they made a comment almost in passing.  They simply said, "If you haven't played this game you should."

The game was Far Cry which started an ongoing franchise and is my second favorite game.  I loved the first, but can't play it on my newer PC without a special patch that eventually screws up some other programs, which I can't fix until I'm done with the game, and then I have to do a system reset.  I like the 2nd Far Cry and still play that on occasion but on my PlayStation.  The third one I bought used for the PC, and it had so many bugs in it, that I didn't even get to the second chapter.  Haven't played another Fry Cry after that.

Mike Cl

[quote author=SGOS link=topic=1332.msg1225177#msg1225177 date=1532542872

Would I recommend it?  I dunno.  I only know the effect it has on me.  It's bloody, violent, and very touching.  It get's good reviews, but all the games out there do pretty well, because there are a lot of tastes.  I've bought some games that were extremely popular that I never bothered finishing.  Every time I buy a game, I know there's a risk that I'm wasting my money.  So I wouldn't guarantee that you would like it.
[/quote]
SGOS, that is my eternal problem.  I ask, read reviews, look at steam players responses, buy the game and still find there just is something that I don't like, or rubs me the wrong way or, I don't, know is just 'off'.  The Witcher.  I should love it to death!!! I should, I should, I should, and there is no excuse for not liking it.  But I don't--at least not now or yet.  I bought it and played it for awhile and I stopped.  ?????  So, I don't do much research anymore--I do a little.  If I can afford it I buy it or wait for steam to have a sale.  I don't seem to do a good, logical research, so why bother.  I do know what I like--I like Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4.  I play them to death.  Again and again.  The STALKER series, but not quite as much.  So, when I do go shopping for a new game, I ask myself, 'would you rather play Skyrim again, or try a new one.  Most of the time I replay one of my favs.  But now, as I finish up on FO3 (again or is it again again???), I have Destiny 2 on tap, loaded and ready to go.  Did a little research asked a couple of grandkids and grand nephews who play games, looked at steam and well, here goes soon.  We'll see.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 25, 2018, 05:41:44 PM
[quote author=SGOS link=topic=1332.msg1225177#msg1225177 date=1532542872

Would I recommend it?  I dunno.  I only know the effect it has on me.  It's bloody, violent, and very touching.  It get's good reviews, but all the games out there do pretty well, because there are a lot of tastes.  I've bought some games that were extremely popular that I never bothered finishing.  Every time I buy a game, I know there's a risk that I'm wasting my money.  So I wouldn't guarantee that you would like it.

SGOS, that is my eternal problem.  I ask, read reviews, look at steam players responses, buy the game and still find there just is something that I don't like, or rubs me the wrong way or, I don't, know is just 'off'.  The Witcher.  I should love it to death!!! I should, I should, I should, and there is no excuse for not liking it.  But I don't--at least not now or yet.  I bought it and played it for awhile and I stopped.  ?????  So, I don't do much research anymore--I do a little.  If I can afford it I buy it or wait for steam to have a sale.  I don't seem to do a good, logical research, so why bother.  I do know what I like--I like Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, New Vegas and Fallout 4.  I play them to death.  Again and again.  The STALKER series, but not quite as much.  So, when I do go shopping for a new game, I ask myself, 'would you rather play Skyrim again, or try a new one.  Most of the time I replay one of my favs.  But now, as I finish up on FO3 (again or is it again again???), I have Destiny 2 on tap, loaded and ready to go.  Did a little research asked a couple of grandkids and grand nephews who play games, looked at steam and well, here goes soon.  We'll see.

Games work for individuals or not.  I'm very fussy.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on July 25, 2018, 06:01:37 PM
Games work for individuals or not.  I'm very fussy.
That's for damned sure!!  But then, so a I. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 25, 2018, 01:48:26 PM
I'm not finding anything at Amazon released in 1993, and there's a bunch under "Pickett's Charge."

The movie I have is from 1993, but I sure don't remember that dramatic marching scene.

Here is a review by someone who cares, and why it is one of the best war movies of all time ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1f9vliwiA

Adding, his review of Waterloo ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKk5Sy0JT8
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2018, 08:28:45 PM
Here is a review...
Yeah, that's the one I've got.  Oh well, time to pull it out and watch it again.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 25, 2018, 10:50:13 PM
Yeah, that's the one I've got.  Oh well, time to pull it out and watch it again.

Four hours ... For me Joshua Chamberlain in the biggest hero of the movie.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 25, 2018, 01:48:26 PM
I'm not finding anything at Amazon released in 1993, and there's a bunch under "Pickett's Charge."

The movie I have is from 1993, but I sure don't remember that dramatic marching scene.
ISBN 0-7806-3277-X (254 minutes.)

Ted Turner, IIRC, did this as a TV mini-series, two nights. It spotlights the above charge and Chamberlain's Maine boys on Little Round Top.

Shelby Foote said that "Gettysburg was the price the South paid for having Bobby Lee."

I just watched this yesterday and the day before. Following up with "The Rough Riders" (not a gay film, btw.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Separately: The reaction of the re-enactors when General Lee rides out amongst them in full make up is just fucking eerie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 26, 2018, 10:29:03 AM
Separately: The reaction of the re-enactors when General Lee rides out amongst them in full make up is just fucking eerie.
Those guys must have been in their glory doing their thing for a Hollywood movie.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 26, 2018, 12:06:54 PM
Those guys must have been in their glory doing their thing for a Hollywood movie.
They do an encampment every year, or did, and with word that a movie would be filmed the attendance soared. They also got to see a dozen twelve pounders do a battery fire, something that is getting ever more rare. The "extras" on that video are worth a look.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Rough Riders mini-series 1997?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeV0gQ5GIUk

This was a good movie too.  South of me is the only Spanish-American War memorial I have seen ... to a (then recent) HS graduate who died on San Juan hill.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

And a very healthy selection of quotes from the originals. Sounds a bit stilted today, but that's how they talked back then. Berenger nailed Teddy.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 25, 2018, 08:28:45 PM
Here is a review by someone who cares, and why it is one of the best war movies of all time ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ1f9vliwiA

Adding, his review of Waterloo ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWKk5Sy0JT8

Yeah, I watch the CDs often.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 26, 2018, 10:29:03 AM

I had a co-worker who was a fanatic Confederate re-enactor.  But that was because he was also a fanatic white supremist, argued that slavery had nothing to do with the Civil War, and rather liked the Nazis.  Confederate Civil War re-enactors are basically supporting the same idea.

When I showed him one day that almost all the Southern State statements about why they were leaving the Union were about protecting slavery, he just ignored it.  LOL!