News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 21, 2018, 11:53:30 AM
I used to really enjoy board games like that, 1975 - 1985.  We are General Lee if you please, and if you don't please (Siamese Confederates).

"Si and Am:
We are Siamese if you please.
We are Siamese if you don't please.
Now we lookin' over our new domicile.
If we like we stay for maybe quite a while.

Si: Do you seeing that thing swimming round and round?
Am: Yes. Maybe we can reaching in and make it drown.
Si: If we sneaking up upon it carefully
Am: There will be a head for you, a tail for me.

Si: Do you hear what I hear?
Am: A baby cry?
Where we finding baby there be milk nearby.

Si and Am: If we look in baby buggy there could be
Si: Plenty milk for you and also some for me."

And you will be the loser General, Genral Lee.
Missing information from the cavalry
Where is Genl Stuart Massa Robert cries?
I cannot win without him by my side.

Forward goes the Pickett army to their doom.
It is very obvious in classroom, 
Never hit the fortified position.
Or you will suffer much attrition...

LOL!

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Poetry or not, frontal assaults against temporarily silent cannon, is even worse than the Union frontal assault at Fredericksburg.  Lee should have resigned at that point, he was past his prime (of taking credit for Jackson and Longstreet).

Lee lost the battle the first day, when the Union retreated to superior positions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2ptN5K4Vy8

Pride is the undoing of many men.  McClellan on the Union side.  And Burnside.

Lee was out of ammo, Meade was not.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I've been playing Sonic Mania Plus, which is both a physical release for Sonic Mania (which was previously only digital) with new content as well as a DLC for those who already own the game. Love it. As someone who's been a Sonic the Hedgehog fan since before I could remember, it's been a long time since I've been this happy about a Sonic game. The DLC adds two new characters and a new Encore Mode, which lets you replay the game but with some differences. The level layouts are different, the color pallets are different, and the lives system is different. Rather than have one character you play from start to finish, you can switch between all five characters, and those characters are your lives. If Sonic dies, he's no longer available until you earn him back. If all five characters die, it's game over. For $4.99, the DLC is very much worth the price. My only complaint is that there is no secret final boss for completing the game with all of the Chaos Emeralds. That left me feeling blue balled, especially with how hard it was to collect the emeralds in Encore Mode, but again...$4.99.

Oh, and SEGA also made a free web cartoon to lead up to the release of the Sonic Mania Plus, and it was pretty awesome too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYvO8eaWJNc
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

I was round my brothers a month ago, and saw my nephew playing sonic forces. Now I've not played a sonic game in years, I had most of them back on the sega megadrive (genesis to americans) including 1,2,3, and sonic and knuckles. I've not really played any of the later sonic games when he went 3D and lost interest in the franchise when i moved onto pc gaming.
But I still loved those early sonic games and even downloaded the originals on steam to replay them.

So I saw my nephew playing sonic forces, and right at the time fighting Dr Robotnik (I am never calling his Dr Eggman), and I thought how its kinda cool how when I was a kid, I was fighting Dr robotnik, and now so many years later, my nephew is fighting him, sort of like carrying on the battle to the next generation.
Gave me a moment of pride when seeing him kick robotniks ass.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 22, 2018, 08:03:11 AM
I was round my brothers a month ago, and saw my nephew playing sonic forces. Now I've not played a sonic game in years, I had most of them back on the sega megadrive (genesis to americans) including 1,2,3, and sonic and knuckles. I've not really played any of the later sonic games when he went 3D and lost interest in the franchise when i moved onto pc gaming.
But I still loved those early sonic games and even downloaded the originals on steam to replay them.

So I saw my nephew playing sonic forces, and right at the time fighting Dr Robotnik (I am never calling his Dr Eggman), and I thought how its kinda cool how when I was a kid, I was fighting Dr robotnik, and now so many years later, my nephew is fighting him, sort of like carrying on the battle to the next generation.
Gave me a moment of pride when seeing him kick robotniks ass.

If you like the original games, Christian Whitehead, one of the guys who created Mania, also remade Sonic 1, 2, and CD from scratch. Better framerate, widescreen support, new features like Sonic 3 style save slots for Sonic 1 & 2. They're all available on smartphones for super cheap. Sadly, his remake of Sonic 3 was never greenlit for some reason, and CD is the only remake that is also on Steam.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

well yeah, like say I downloaded those on my tablet, was great replying them. Its pretty nice when I plug in my gamepad with an extension port to play it, feels like good old days

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Mr.Obvious

MTG arena, more accecisble than mtgo for a casual player like me, but it also feels more childlike.
Now it 'is' a children's card game, but still.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Endless Space 2, Day 2:

Brutal insectoid warriors invaded my territory, assuming my fledgling empire was weak.  It was.

But I frantically jump-started ship-building campaign with my best and brightest turning their attention from civilian science to the science of war.  By the time the lumbering behemoths they call ships were at my doorstep, my fast and cutting-edge fleet met them in the void.  My enemy's early victories turned into brutal stalemates, then at last to crushing defeats.  A broken armada lies at my feet.

My blooded armada shifted from desperate defense to eager aggression.  Several of their rich systems were ripe for plucking.  Invasion dropships were prepared.  Their defending troops were nearly endless.  So too were my ships' bombardment salvos.  In the end, my weak troops had little difficulty mopping up the few survivors that remained.

With its back broken and its richest worlds seized, the fearless insects at last acknowledged defeat and accepted a punishing truce, temporarily giving up their dreams of conquest.

My finest refocused their genius to their true calling of unraveling the secrets of the universe.  No longer fearful of being shot down, a swarm of scouts traversed the breath of the galaxy in record time.  Its findings?

A pathetic empire of only a handful of worlds; a tree race seemingly content to contemplate its navel for all eternity.  Harmless.  And at the edge of known space, a bizarre robot-like race with a modestly-sized empire...no wait, make that a medium-sized empire...no...even larger...and is that a fleet...no that can't possibly be a fleet, it's too large...

*stunned silence*

...OH CRAP.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on July 21, 2018, 02:41:41 PM
Poetry or not, frontal assaults against temporarily silent cannon, is even worse than the Union frontal assault at Fredericksburg.  Lee should have resigned at that point, he was past his prime (of taking credit for Jackson and Longstreet).

Lee lost the battle the first day, when the Union retreated to superior positions.

Pride is the undoing of many men.  McClellan on the Union side.  And Burnside.

Lee was out of ammo, Meade was not.

Yes, it amazes me to this day that neither side quite understood that those in fortified positions always won.  Oh sure, some local conditions existed where the fortified units got flanks (like at Sunken Road or Hornets Nest in some battles) but the fortified always took a heavy toll on the idiots marching up.   

The South was always on the defense and dug in in the south.  When they attacked in the North against fortified positions, they lost big time. 

I saw a reenactment of the North charging a Confederate fortified position.  Wouldn't SOMEONE have thought to say  "Creep over this ridge and fire from prone"?

It makes you want to learn to travel back in time...

SGOS

I don't get to this thread that much, because I'm relatively casual about gaming, although my non gaming friends think I'm a bit of a fanatic, and not acting my age.  But I do like games, usually FPS, but not all of course.  I don't know if anyone has brought up The Last of Us, as I'm so unfamiliar with the games being played here that I suspect I way out in left field with my tastes, but it's the best game I've played, and I've played it too many times to count.  I've had other "best" games, but Last of Us tops them.  It's even got a absorbing story, which at one time I would have thought must be forbidden by National Gaming Association.

So anyway, I was playing it for the umpteenth time this morning, and I came upon a door which I had never opened.  I've been playing it for two years and I thought I had explored the environment with a fine toothed comb, but apparently not fine enough.  It was in the shadows, moderately well hidden to a room full of helpful goodies, tools, ammo, etc.

It was a rush.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm not acting my age.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on July 21, 2018, 02:41:41 PM
This clip must be the longest prelude to a battle Hollywood ever made.  Marching, marching, marching.  Yet is seemed very real, and without a cannon being fired, it was still tense drama.  I have a Gettysburg movie already, but this one looks worth a watch.

SGOS

I'm not finding anything at Amazon released in 1993, and there's a bunch under "Pickett's Charge."

The movie I have is from 1993, but I sure don't remember that dramatic marching scene.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 25, 2018, 01:31:46 PM
I don't get to this thread that much, because I'm relatively casual about gaming, although my non gaming friends think I'm a bit of a fanatic, and not acting my age.  But I do like games, usually FPS, but not all of course.  I don't know if anyone has brought up The Last of Us, as I'm so unfamiliar with the games being played here that I suspect I way out in left field with my tastes, but it's the best game I've played, and I've played it too many times to count.  I've had other "best" games, but Last of Us tops them.  It's even got a absorbing story, which at one time I would have thought must be forbidden by National Gaming Association.

So anyway, I was playing it for the umpteenth time this morning, and I came upon a door which I had never opened.  I've been playing it for two years and I thought I had explored the environment with a fine toothed comb, but apparently not fine enough.  It was in the shadows, moderately well hidden to a room full of helpful goodies, tools, ammo, etc.

It was a rush.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm not acting my age.

First, I only have 2 connections here.  "Show unread posts" and "Show new replies".  That actually covers everything, (or maybe it doesn't?)  So I don't see specific forums.

Second, are you talking about a quest game?  Because I woud dearly love one to try.  The last one I played was on a Commodore (Thief Of Fate, or something like that, so that tells you something.  It allowed you to set up some characters with dirrerent skills and solve problems in pursuit of a goal.  No live action (I hate live action).

So can you tell me more about this ?  And what is FPS (it will be obvious I suppose once you tell me), LOL!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 25, 2018, 01:51:14 PM
So can you tell me more about this ?  And what is FPS (it will be obvious I suppose once you tell me), LOL!
FPS is a First Person Shooter, and they are action games, with occasional problems to solve, but really killing your way to the end of the game is what happens.  You have to learn what method of defense to use in various situations.  Hand to hand or what weapon.  Do you sneak up and knife a guy, or to you throw a bomb at him.  Maybe throw a brick at him and then rush him as he's holding his head coming back to his senses.  Some things work, other's don't so well, depending on the situations.  From what I gather, people are drawn to various types of games.  I've played what I think you mean by "quest game" a couple of times, and even some of those involve killing, but were more about solving puzzling situations.  I don't think most here on interested in First Person Shooters, but I could be wrong.

The Last of Us takes place in a dystopian future where a plague has wiped out most of civilization leaving scores of zombies.  So you have to kill zombies, but there are also some rebels and left over humans capitalizing on the lack of law and order to survive, and they can be more treacherous than the zombies.  Once vibrant cities are empty collapsing cities, with occasional survivors living in the rubble.

You have a task of taking a key person to a specific medical facility that can alter the course of civilization.  That's the premise.  Sound familiar?  The plot is better, and I really find myself engaging with the main characters, an unlikely pair that learn to care for and depend on each other, as the game progresses.  I actually find it touching in spite of the fact that they argue a good part of the time.  Beyond their snipes at each other, you begin to understand how important they are to each other.  That's what sets it apart from the average "run and gun" first person shooters I've played.

Would I recommend it?  I dunno.  I only know the effect it has on me.  It's bloody, violent, and very touching.  It get's good reviews, but all the games out there do pretty well, because there are a lot of tastes.  I've bought some games that were extremely popular that I never bothered finishing.  Every time I buy a game, I know there's a risk that I'm wasting my money.  So I wouldn't guarantee that you would like it.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 25, 2018, 02:21:12 PM
FPS is a First Person Shooter, and they are action games, with occasional problems to solve, but really killing your way to the end of the game is what happens.  You have to learn what method of defense to use in various situations.  Hand to hand or what weapon.  Do you sneak up and knife a guy, or to you throw a bomb at him.  Maybe throw a brick at him and then rush him as he's holding his head coming back to his senses.  Some things work, other's don't so well, depending on the situations.  From what I gather, people are drawn to various types of games.  I've played what I think you mean by "quest game" a couple of times, and even some of those involve killing, but were more about solving puzzling situations.  I don't think most here on interested in First Person Shooters, but I could be wrong.

The Last of Us takes place in a dystopian future where a plague has wiped out most of civilization leaving scores of zombies.  So you have to kill zombies, but there are also some rebels and left over humans capitalizing on the lack of law and order to survive, and they can be more treacherous than the zombies.  Once vibrant cities are empty collapsing cities, with occasional survivors living in the rubble.

You have a task of taking a key person to a specific medical facility that can alter the course of civilization.  That's the premise.  Sound familiar?  The plot is better, and I really find myself engaging with the main characters, an unlikely pair that learn to care for and depend on each other, as the game progresses.  I actually find it touching in spite of the fact that they argue a good part of the time.  Beyond their snipes at each other, you begin to understand how important they are to each other.  That's what sets it apart from the average "run and gun" first person shooters I've played.

Would I recommend it?  I dunno.  I only know the effect it has on me.  It's bloody, violent, and very touching.  It get's good reviews, but all the games out there do pretty well, because there are a lot of tastes.  I've bought some games that were extremely popular that I never bothered finishing.  Every time I buy a game, I know there's a risk that I'm wasting my money.  So I wouldn't guarantee that you would like it.

Thanks.  Not what I'm looking for in anew game.  I know what you mean about some games not being what you want.  I want to search rather than buy blind.  Maybe I'm cheap, LOL!