News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 30, 2018, 04:21:40 PM
Looks like Pokemon Go is about to get another spike of popularity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jRtpMKLsts
I bet it'll be a fad just like Pokémon GO was.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 31, 2018, 12:32:23 PM
Pretty much every MMO launched since 2010 has failed/low player base. The very few that remain, are the old ones, since 2001 and some even earlier, like EverQuest (1999) or Ultima Online (1997).

The MMO era has pretty much phased out in favor of today's MOBAs and FPS team/BR shooters.
I dunno if there's really all that much difference between open-world MMOs and other online games anymore.  They're both online-only games where players compete for incremental improvements to a persistent account (even if it's just unlocking new items and skins).  Broadly speaking, they're more alike than MMOs and the non-online RPGs and FPS games of yesteryear.

But yeah, the days of MMORPGs with equally massive playerbases has more or less run dry.  When this new Fallout game got compared to DayZ, I started worrying because DayZ went from 45,000 concurrent players at launch to a little over 4,000 today.  Granted, Fallout has a much larger fanbase to appeal to, but I practically guarantee you it's going to follow the same trend - massive initial popularity that fades very quickly.

A flash in the pan.

That's not the sort of release the Fallout series needs right now.  Fallout 4 was visually impressive, but it had a very lackluster narrative, almost no depth, and seriously questionable design choices (perks, skills, dialogue trees).  Imo, it made a weak impression which compares poorly to New Vegas's lasting impression.  If Bethesda wants to revitalize the series, they're going to need to go back to basics, not coping gaming models that arguably don't even work now.

GrinningYMIR

My dad can’t seem to understand that MMOs have died in favor of MOBAS, an inferior but more popular genre
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on May 31, 2018, 02:01:54 PM
My dad can’t seem to understand that MMOs have died in favor of MOBAS, an inferior but more popular genre
I dunno if they're innately better or worse than each other.  I love open-world games, so naturally I have a preference here.  But I've gotta say, grinding Timbermaw rep isn't exactly a cherished memory for me.  The excitement of exploration and being part of something big has given way to the ennui of pointless and boring repetitive tasks.  Similarly, MOBAs have a ton of team bickering and their own set of boring repetitions.  They both have their ups and downs.

GrinningYMIR

I would love a fallout MMO, I would Not love a fallout left 4 dead.

I would also love another fallout title by obsidian but that won’t happen
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

_Xenu_

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 30, 2018, 06:17:40 PM
My Earth Custodians are also in a small galaxy, this one also populated by marauders, a shitton of primitives, and a Fallen Empire. I haven't met the Fallen Empire yet, but I have managed to claim a few primitives as bio-trophies. You see, the Earth Custodians are robots who were originally built to serve humanity, but have now decided that the best way to care for our species is to contain us in sanctuaries, enforce strict birth control, and subject us to mandatory pampering. This is actually much more benign than it sounds, since my human pops have a happiness bonus of +40%, with only a minor -10% penalty for the population control, bringing them to a total of 80% happiness (with the base being 50%). Just to put this in perspective, the happiest pop in my Dubrin empire is only a hair above 60% happiness. So since humanity seems to enjoy their pampered, controlled lives, the Custodians have taken it upon themselves to seek out other sentient life in the galaxy and similarly rid them of the burden of self-determination.
Thats... delightfully twisted.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Blackleaf

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on May 31, 2018, 03:45:02 PM
I would love a fallout MMO, I would Not love a fallout left 4 dead.

I would also love another fallout title by obsidian but that won’t happen

I think most of the guys who worked on New Vegas have left Obsidian. I'm not even sure a game by them would have the same level of quality.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

I don't think MMOs are my cup of tea...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

GrinningYMIR

It would not, the window for FNV2 was years ago, and I believe the series itself will decline for a time, Bethesda has the rights to one more fallout title before having to repurchase them

Cavebear

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on May 31, 2018, 11:11:51 PM
It would not, the window for FNV2 was years ago, and I believe the series itself will decline for a time, Bethesda has the rights to one more fallout title before having to repurchase them

Cant find what "FNV2" means in this context.  All I get is computer fans.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2018, 11:22:03 PM
Cant find what "FNV2" means in this context.  All I get is computer fans.

Fallout New Vegas 2
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 01, 2018, 02:26:38 AM
Fallout New Vegas 2

Thanks.  Neither Google nor Wikipedia was showing me that acronym.

pr126

New Game found:

I don't play any games, this is just for information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9aPsEOzwfI

Hydra009

I've played some Star Trek Online.

Its core gameplay is decent, it gives you a great range of customization options, and it even gives you some nice Trekkie stuff like scanning anomalies.

But I HATE the graphics engine for that game.  Also, the quests get repetitive fast.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 31, 2018, 12:37:21 PM
I bet it'll be a fad just like Pokémon GO was.

I was disappointed to learn that there were no wild Pokemon battles. Why? They show off a perfectly functional battle system with NPC trainers, but they won't allow the player to weaken Pokemon before trying to catch them? How is the player supposed to grind for levels if they can't battle wild Pokemon for XP? Ehhhhh... Even if I had a Switch, I think I would give these games a pass. They have some new features that I like and hope carry over to the 2019 Pokemon game, but this one doesn't excite me. I think a lot of people will be annoyed that the game seems to be trying to revive Pokemon Go again.
--Fulke Greville--