News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

Battletech lance made up of a Highlander a Zeus, an Orion and a Jagermech as a  missile boat with LRMS out the ying yang versus a heavy lance of a Highlander a victor, and two Orion’s. Who wins? The one with the only gauss rifle on the field.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on May 07, 2018, 09:51:40 PM
Battletech lance made up of a Highlander a Zeus, an Orion and a Jagermech as a  missile boat with LRMS out the ying yang versus a heavy lance of a Highlander a victor, and two Orion’s. Who wins? The one with the only gauss rifle on the field.
Orion = poor man's Atlas.  I'm quite partial to the Zeus.  And a Jagermech without its signature 4 autocannons?  Heresy.

I've heard good things about that game, albeit with caveats.

First, I've heard that animations are a bit overwrought, frustratingly padding the turns.  You make a decision, hit the John, grab a bite to eat, write and then read War And Peace, grow a pine forest in your backyard, and only when you've built a treehouse there do you get a second turn.

Second, eact individual weapon has a chance to crit (e.g. wounding a mechwarrior) which would be fine except a laser has exactly one chance to crit while missile packs have a chance to crit PER MISSILE.

GrinningYMIR

I think That’s getting addressed in the June patch, they’re overhauling a lot of it for balance and tweaking. Right now it’s mlre difficult that a lot of people will accept but fun if you like battletech, though a few abilities need adjusting, master tactics for instance seems underwhelming.

It’s worth the money if you’re a fan especially with the new patch next month th. As for the animations I havent Had an issue but the memory problem with stems cloud service is annoying
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 05, 2018, 11:44:47 PM
You must have a battering ram or tower against the city wall along with the melee units.  Keep them all out of range until you can move in all in one turn.  Some die, but not all.

Note to self...  Advance to Batterring Rams AND Towers before attacking a city!

LOL

Thanks.  You just saved me hundreds of units trying to take cities as if in Civ 2!  And it means mine are equally safe.  I've been wasting too many turns building defensive units garrisoned in cities.  I'll just go kill the barbarians.

Are there Diplomats and Spy units that can subvert oponebnt cities in Civ 5?  I haven't gotten that far yet.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 02:37:51 AM

LOL

Thanks.  You just saved me hundreds of units trying to take cities as if in Civ 2!  And it means mine are equally safe.  I've been wasting too many turns building defensive units garrisoned in cities.  I'll just go kill the barbarians.

Are there Diplomats and Spy units that can subvert oponebnt cities in Civ 5?  I haven't gotten that far yet.

Another point ... if you have a choice between the computer doing the fighting for you, or you can micromanage it yourself, the AI is stupid on sieges.  It will do stupid things to the assault force, even you can do better.  Autoresolve in field battles is less suicidal.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 02:37:51 AM

LOL

Yeah, there are diplomatic policies one can use and spies as well.  I tried to use them years ago and couldn't make much headway with them.  So I now just ignore that aspect--don't need them to kill, kill, kill.  Conquer is my game.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 09, 2018, 09:32:04 AM
Yeah, there are diplomatic policies one can use and spies as well.  I tried to use them years ago and couldn't make much headway with them.  So I now just ignore that aspect--don't need them to kill, kill, kill.  Conquer is my game.

Ack.  Having tried to take a simple city-state and (separately) one minor city of someone who for no reason I could see declared war on me, using 3 units of seriously strengthened bowmen,and failed utterly, I assumed decently shielded cities of  9+ were immune to pre-medieval attacks.  So along comes 2 Warrior units and a Bowmen unit and they just take one of my cities.  WTF?

Is that the Game AI changing the rules for itself (like "enhanced" production in Civ 2 or am I missing something?  I had the game saved before that and reloaded it several times and no matter what I did, they got that city.  I even garrisoned a bowmen unit in the city once.  And now my civ is split in half.

%@*^!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 09:52:38 AM
Ack.  Having tried to take a simple city-state and (separately) one minor city of someone who for no reason I could see declared war on me, using 3 units of seriously strengthened bowmen,and failed utterly, I assumed decently shielded cities of  9+ were immune to pre-medieval attacks.  So along comes 2 Warrior units and a Bowmen unit and they just take one of my cities.  WTF?

Is that the Game AI changing the rules for itself (like "enhanced" production in Civ 2 or am I missing something?  I had the game saved before that and reloaded it several times and no matter what I did, they got that city.  I even garrisoned a bowmen unit in the city once.  And now my civ is split in half.

%@*^!
As I remember it, if an ai country does not sense you have any units in or near a city, they (no matter how weak they are) will attack it because they regard it as being a weakness--and the ai always attacks weakness.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 09, 2018, 03:59:10 PM
As I remember it, if an ai country does not sense you have any units in or near a city, they (no matter how weak they are) will attack it because they regard it as being a weakness--and the ai always attacks weakness.

Ooh, and a civ (not the one that attacked me) told me they "were amazed at how weak I was."  I had units, just not right there.  Got it.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 04:10:43 PM
Ooh, and a civ (not the one that attacked me) told me they "were amazed at how weak I was."  I had units, just not right there.  Got it.

The AI not taking into account your nearby forces (not in city) is an opportunity for you to pull am ambush.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

No Man's Sky is officially getting PvP multiplayer on July 24th. The NMS reddit subs are now full of people hunkering down and preparing for a griefing apocalypse.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with Cheat Engine waiting for a motherfucker stupid enough to fuck with me.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 18, 2018, 07:52:57 PM
No Man's Sky is officially getting PvP multiplayer on July 24th. The NMS reddit subs are now full of people hunkering down and preparing for a griefing apocalypse.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here with Cheat Engine waiting for a motherfucker stupid enough to fuck with me.
You can cheat...in multiplayer??!  I've only ever used cheats for singleplayer games.  I always assume the devs are wise to cheats and will apply penalties if you try it.

Cavebear

That's why I don't do multiplayer games anymore.  Cheat-Assholes...  As far as I can tell now, multiplayer games are either wiping out newbies or competing to see who can use or memorize their cheat program best..

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 19, 2018, 09:15:51 AM
That's why I don't do multiplayer games anymore.  Cheat-Assholes...  As far as I can tell now, multiplayer games are either wiping out newbies or competing to see who can use or memorize their cheat program best..

the online games I play seems to prevent cheating as much as possible, but I'm just done with the multiplayer aspect too, its just groups of cliques and elitists who really aren't fun to be around. When a game becomes a job instead of being something to escape into, I just give up on it.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 19, 2018, 09:21:00 AM
the online games I play seems to prevent cheating as much as possible, but I'm just done with the multiplayer aspect too, its just groups of cliques and elitists who really aren't fun to be around. When a game becomes a job instead of being something to escape into, I just give up on it.

A tale of multiplaying:

When I first got Civ 2 (my first serious complicated game on computer), and I stayed up Friday night to Sunday evening, obsessed with learning it.  And called in "sick" at work Monday.  I slept 16 hours.  The damn game nearly ruined me.  But I adjusted and got back to my work schedule.

THEN I discovered the multiplayer edition and (with great hesitation because the people I was going to play against were online discussion GODS).  I got killed!  At first...  I eventually got better.  "Disce aut mori!". 

I got good enough to join groups where each person had a function  (city-building, military unit management, tech-development).  Eventually (after a full year), I achieved the ultimate goal.  I beat the AI to Alpha Centuri at Deity level. 

What to do after that?  Well, the Player of All Players managed to beat the AI with ONE CITY.  I couldn't do THAT (he must have spent an hour or more between moves planning everything to the last detail)!  But I figured out how the game worked and developed the chart of successful Space Ship parts and the time it took to reach Alpha Centuri (still in the Civpedia site). 

After that, I figured out how to create new maps to play on and offerred them to groups to play who were tired of the same old real world maps.  Some were almost entirely land, some were almost entirely islands (and that really affected the techs the players needed to develop).  I made a couple with my initials embedded using jungles and desert squares.  I even made one of the Earth "upside-down".

And THAT wasn't enough...  So I invited the best players to a tournament.  I had organized chess tournaments in college, so that part wasn't  great stretch.  But getting players from China and England, or the US and India WAS!  It was "you lose, you're gone" tourney.  I forget the details of the final few matches (it was 20 years ago), but I eventually had 2 of the best few players in the final match.  They both agreed to save every turn and send it to me for review.

The Player Of Players did win, but it was AWESOME to watch/replay afterwards.    Neither could build a spaceship (both were good at using nuclear bombs) and it came down to individual units at the last cities.

I built a trophy.  A red-painted wood block with a chess-piece knight on the top and shipped it.  And then just left the game...

So when after years, I wanted to start playing Civ 2 again, I couldn't.  It would rum on the new computer.  So I tried Civ 3.  And hated it!  It was all about spies and steling cities.  I'm a city-builder.  It was utterly offensive.

I left Civ until last year when I tried to get Civ 2 downloaded from a site.  It didn't work.  I'm trying Civ V.  Its maddening, but in a way I understand.  I'm still on the learning curve and improving.  Last night, I got to 1940, and mostly ahead of all the other civs.  But at the lowest level. 

I'll take that, so far.  I have a lot to figure out, and moving the units drives me nuts.  I suspect random unit movements are part of the program.  But you know what I want?  An old Windows PC that will play Civ 2... 

I use a Mac Mini these days.  Its good and if you have never experienced "Finder" on a Mac, you are missing the best thing on a file searcher.  I have a new Windows 10 computer and can't figure out how it organizes ANYTHING.  I LIVE on organizing files and Windows 10 defeats me.

Have a good day and any thoughts will be greatly appreciated...