News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2017, 09:45:34 AM
I played Civ3.  The "spheres of influence" drove me nuts.  I just want to master building something without the computer actively ruining my life.  So which Civ game is closest to that? 

And what about Forge of Empires?  I see the ads but am suspicious.
You won't find any Civ 2 close clones.  I'd say Civ V is as close as you can get.  And even then, the AI will play a bit of havoc with you.  I know absolutely nothing about Forge of Empires.  But google for reviews of it.  Have you checked out Sim City or games like it?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 18, 2017, 10:52:41 AM
You won't find any Civ 2 close clones.  I'd say Civ V is as close as you can get.  And even then, the AI will play a bit of havoc with you.  I know absolutely nothing about Forge of Empires.  But google for reviews of it.  Have you checked out Sim City or games like it?

I tried some SIM city games a decade ago.  I might look at that again.  Civ V seems worth a shot.  I played some community game set in the Roman empire, but I figured out how to give myself massive amounts of money playing 2 people.  But I think that was an early social attempt and it vanished. 

I want something complicated to understand but solvable through analysis, not a shooter game or anything requiring a lot of joystick skill (DDT exposure tremors), but not a math game.

I may ask a professional nerd (no offense meant to skilled people) to get Civ2 set up on the new PC.  I internet Mac, but the PC is always behind me.  Yeah, I have both.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 18, 2017, 10:52:41 AM

I have the original Sim Life and Sim City, but I bet they won't play on the new Windows.  If they would, Civ would.  Worth trying though.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 03:58:40 PM
I have the original Sim Life and Sim City, but I bet they won't play on the new Windows.  If they would, Civ would.  Worth trying though.
I doubt they will run.  I have a few old DOS games--Steel Panthers, Panzer General, Diablo , and Civ. 2, for example--but never again.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 23, 2017, 04:21:05 PM
I doubt they will run.  I have a few old DOS games--Steel Panthers, Panzer General, Diablo , and Civ. 2, for example--but never again.

You can try a DOS emulator.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 24, 2017, 02:11:18 AM
You can try a DOS emulator.
Yeah, you are right.  I just keep forgetting about that--it seems to fall into 'I'll get to it next week' kind of thing. :))

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 24, 2017, 08:47:45 AM
Yeah, you are right.  I just keep forgetting about that--it seems to fall into 'I'll get to it next week' kind of thing. :))

Don't the emulators kind of mess up the rest of the computer?  I have enough trouble running Word and Excel For Mac.  I know there are ways to run Mac and Windows on the same computer and switch between them, but that strains my end user abilities.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 03:58:40 PM
They *might* be on Good Old Games, in which case they have a wrapper to allow them to run on current versions of Windows.  I picked up The 7th Guest there and it runs fine on Win7 (appropriately enough, I guess).  Can't check right now, I'm at the office and they aggressively block game and sport sites.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on December 26, 2017, 10:28:38 AM
They *might* be on Good Old Games, in which case they have a wrapper to allow them to run on current versions of Windows.  I picked up The 7th Guest there and it runs fine on Win7 (appropriately enough, I guess).  Can't check right now, I'm at the office and they aggressively block game and sport sites.

I bookmarked the site.  Will look at it soon.  Thanks!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2017, 05:37:40 AM
Don't the emulators kind of mess up the rest of the computer?  I have enough trouble running Word and Excel For Mac.  I know there are ways to run Mac and Windows on the same computer and switch between them, but that strains my end user abilities.

Emulators shouldn't have an negative affect on your computer, unless you picked up something else while looking for it. Emulators are simply programs which imitate the way other systems process information. So a DOS emulator will attempt to act like a DOS computer, although the experience may not be 1-to-1 the same. Emulators sometimes have additional performance issues that the original system lacks. It may run slower, crash (the program, not the computer), have frame rate issues, or have additional glitches.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on December 26, 2017, 05:37:40 AMDon't the emulators kind of mess up the rest of the computer?
The only problem I've ever had with emulators messing with the host OS is exiting an emulator can sometimes mess up my desktop resolution/layout.  (a nuisance which takes <1min to fix)  That's pretty much it.

Hydra009

I just want to say that I love Doki Doki Literature Club.

It's one of those cutesy anime visual novels.  Pretty standard stuff.  But it has this very pleasant, serene aesthetic to it that really helps me unwind after stressful days.  Sometimes, I play it at night just before bed so it helps me have pleasant dreams.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 26, 2017, 09:28:03 PM
I just want to say that I love Doki Doki Literature Club.

It's one of those cutesy anime visual novels.  Pretty standard stuff.  But it has this very pleasant, serene aesthetic to it that really helps me unwind after stressful days.  Sometimes, I play it at night just before bed so it helps me have pleasant dreams.
You're a goddamn troll, you know that right?
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

:biggrin2:

Everything I said was true.  It's just not true for very long.

Draconic Aiur