Author Topic: Any gamers around here?  (Read 127151 times)

Offline Sal1981

Re: Any gamers around here?
« Reply #2370 on: October 31, 2017, 12:30:04 PM »
I've more or less settled down in a slightly modded Minecraft server which has an economy and level up system among other thingies. Vanilla is boring.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

Offline Munch

« Reply #2371 on: November 10, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
been playing cuphead. This is a very satisfying game, though I didn't exactly grow up knowing the classic animation era this game basis itself on, I really appreciate the unique artstyle, as well as the boss fights being challenging but something to overcome.

« Reply #2372 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:07 PM »
been playing cuphead. This is a very satisfying game, though I didn't exactly grow up knowing the classic animation era this game basis itself on, I really appreciate the unique artstyle, as well as the boss fights being challenging but something to overcome.
I like watching playthroughs.  Cuphead is a perfect example of how people don't necessarily want super amazing graphics in their games, all they really want is great aesthetics (a pervasive, distinct art style) and decent gameplay.

So the next time you see someone praising a game's graphics, ask them if it's really the graphics (fidelity, number of polygons) they like or if it's really the aesthetics (the art style).

Offline Munch

« Reply #2373 on: November 11, 2017, 03:07:40 AM »
I think what it is, is that today, with the advancement of CGI, classic styles of animation is slowly disappearing from the market, with the exceptions of anime companies. Most western animation today is CGI, and as someone who grew up watching traditional animation styles, it is depressing not seeing as much of it today as back then.
Cuphead uses classical animation styles through computer graphic designs to make it seem like it is, and I hope this kind of method is used again.

« Reply #2374 on: November 13, 2017, 06:30:22 PM »
EA is really taking a pounding lately.  Apparently, their Star Wars DLC is a blatant cash-grab.  Color me shocked.

Hopefully, the outrage will prompt players to stop shelling out for overpriced DLC and preordering garbage.

Also, bear in mind that there's plenty of really good indie stuff out there!  You could shell out $60 for something you'll be disappointed by or purchase two $30 games that will blow your mind.  Look at ratings, not ads!

Online Shiranu

« Reply #2375 on: November 13, 2017, 06:49:51 PM »
On an unrelated note, been really trying to play a marathon-speed (200% slower) game of civ 5, but man... mannnn...
“Life isn't long enough to enjoy and understand all at the same time. You have to decide which is more important." - Pedro Juan Gutierrez

"Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be." - Miguel de Cervantes

« Reply #2376 on: November 13, 2017, 10:21:49 PM »
On an unrelated note, been really trying to play a marathon-speed (200% slower) game of civ 5, but man... mannnn...
That makes for loooooonng games.

I'm trying something similar on Endless Legend.  In that game, slow speeds make battles and quests way more of a factor in your faction's success since armies can travel the world and uncover ancient knowledge long before your main city really hits its stride.  I've always been weaker at eXplore and eXterminate than eXploit and eXpand, so slower games can be a real challenge.

Also, playing as factions I don't like (and arguably weaker) forces a certain amount of desperation-fueled novel strategies.

Offline GrinningYMIR

« Reply #2377 on: November 14, 2017, 11:24:01 AM »
I’ve been playing the wolfenstein games, though I am Looking forward to the classic wow servers being released, I will Have a ball with those. And Wolfenstein 2 was definitely worth the money, been a lot of fun achievement hunting in that. As for the rest of the year I’m lookkng forward to battlefront kinda but even with my employee discount I’m going to wait a bit.

I hate Gamestop
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"

Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Offline Mr.Obvious

« Reply #2378 on: November 14, 2017, 11:55:32 AM »
I was okay with The first game of The wolfenstein reboot.
It was good. But most people i talked to seemed to give it more credit than it was due, imho.
It was good. It was fun. But i don't get what was 'amazing' about it.
E = Mc²

In the end, we are all standing in the dark,
trying to figure out why we are here.
But let us not choose one direction
without proof of where it is headed.

Check your pocket for matches
so we can observe and learn together
as fast friends and relative idiots.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #2379 on: November 15, 2017, 02:15:46 AM »
I was okay with The first game of The wolfenstein reboot.
It was good. But most people i talked to seemed to give it more credit than it was due, imho.
It was good. It was fun. But i don't get what was 'amazing' about it.

A shoot them up might be interesting (not my cup of tea - I prefer building games), but after playing shoot-them-up what do you do with the game?  Try a new one?  Building type games are never quite the same. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!  b 1950